• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which panacur?

Elve I'll just add, if the girls dont tolerate handling, you probably wont be able to get near them with syringes? Therefore, the paste is definately the way to go :) X

thanks everyone :wave: I'm wondering if I should treat them all as they will all have caught it if Tia had it as they shared the patio with her - the rabbit welfare article says vets are divided on whether or not asymptomatic rabbits should be treated....

I had to treat all my buns for 6 weeks after one confirmed case. The vet did originally say 4 weeks, but the manufacturers confirmed 6 to myself, & Sooz had spoke to them too:D I mentioned it to my vet & she said if the manufacturer said 6, do 6:D

I lost a foster, that had symptoms for about 5 months. During that time I lost 2 of my own buns - although neither where tested for EC (It was before Bouncer had been diagnosed) - the things they did die of (I had an autopsy on one), COULD'VE been EC symptoms.:(

The non-handling buns (Calel:lol:) was separated at feed time & had it syringed onto his pellets:D

Hope your buns are all ok:D I'm completely paranoid over it now & no longer foster

my brain hurts!! so the e-c parasite is different to the worm parasite but are treated/prevented with the same medicine?

ooh, also, while i'm on the subject, i didn't use the whole tube recently, will this keep for 3 months or am i better binning it/giving it to someone else? (i put the paste into veg so it hasn't been in his mouth)

Yes, Panacur is just an anti-parasite medicine that kills EC and worms. In the same way that Ivermectin kills several parasites etc.

I would have thought your tube would be ok.

:wave: thanks for all your advice - Hilda it was your video of Nia that made me wonder about e-c - Maa is doing the same kind of vacant, nose wiggle, with the occasional head shake :( She looks very like Nia in her behaviour now :(

Good point Becki - I have no idea how I'd administer it to the girls :shock: Even Maa is hard to handle, and she's tame and poorly :?

Thanks Angie - I am quite annoyed now I didn't treat all the bunnies when I asked my vet about it - I'm almost positive it's what Tia died of now I remember the odd incident with the food dish (looked like she'd had a fit and kicked it downstairs before eating) - vet could find nothing wrong with her physically except a slight drop in temperature (from shock maybe?) She died peacefully a couple of hours later at home with me - and of course all the other rabbits got infected if that was what she died from :(

Poor Maa - it's so sad seeing her like this - she was such a bouncy bunny with tons of energy and fun - now she just stares into space :( She can have food right next to her, but she only 'wakes up' and eats it if I wave it in her face - she kind of drifts off into a dream :(

Elve, the paste is pretty palatable I think - If you wrap it in spring greens or even squirt it on some apple, its more than likely it will disappear :D X

Elve, the paste is pretty palatable I think - If you wrap it in spring greens or even squirt it on some apple, its more than likely it will disappear :D X

i think it has a nice taste, i've seen a video on youtube of a rabbit liking it straight off the syringe. just to be sure, i hide it in a bit of mashed banana, yummy!

"Hilda it was your video of Nia that made me wonder about e-c - Maa is doing the same kind of vacant, nose wiggle, with the occasional head shake She looks very like Nia in her behaviour now"
That is so sad. Towards the end she had times when she was just like the old Nia, and I'd hope that I was imagining things or looking too hard for symptoms, but her "spaced out" episodes got longer and were becoming more frequent. Even though she tried to groom Tim(a VERY rare occurrence!) that last morning I knew the time had come..the light seemed to have gone from her lovely eyes. I'm so glad I had the pm which confirmed our suspicions..the ec had damaged her brain as well as her kidneys. :oops: sorry.., back to the topic... she adored panacur paste and waited for it every morning, as did Floss & Bournville, Tim, however, is not impressed so he has it syringed.:lol:

Back