• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should buns be seperated?

Gem was regularly getting him checked to see if he was ready to be castrated and the vet said he wasnt ready so in my opinion she was being responsible, ok so maybe just seperate them would have been the safest answer but they were bonded and not aggresive etc, unlike my 4 who have all been done and now become aggressive:roll:

Tracey x

TRACEY said:
Gem was regularly getting him checked to see if he was ready to be castrated and the vet said he wasnt ready so in my opinion she was being responsible, ok so maybe just seperate them would have been the safest answer but they were bonded and not aggresive etc, unlike my 4 who have all been done and now become aggressive:roll:

Tracey x
Being aggressive wasnt a problem,being pregnant at 5 months is :?

Can we please not turn this into an argument :( I have now seperated the two and if she is pregnant there is nothing that I can do about it. If they were my buns I would have split them much earlier rather than risk a pregnancy.

I've already made that mistake once and as much as I love Sweep and Blue it would have been so much better if the whole situation had been avoided. :( I have learnt the hard way and Holly had to endure a pregnacy at 6mths old as a result.

Is it possible for a male to get a female pregnant before his bits have dropped?. Genuine question, I automatically assumed it wasnt but well I am guessing I could be wrong. :)

Tracey x

TRACEY said:
Is it possible for a male to get a female pregnant before his bits have dropped?. Genuine question, I automatically assumed it wasnt but well I am guessing I could be wrong. :)

Tracey x

Sooty would have only been around 4mths when he got Holly pregnant and they were only together for a split second :?

Rabbits with undecended testicles can still be fertile. However, you'd expect the vet to know that and give advise about seperating.

Please don't turn this into an attack on individuals, I'm sure no one set out deliberately to get them pregnant and hopefully they're not anyway :)

Tam

TRACEY said:

Tracey x

Yes the testicles can be formed but not dropped...some vets will not neuter rabbits before 6 months old ..but they can reprodcue before that..and some males bits take ages to drop..but they are there! ....think some buns just try to hide them from the vet for as long as possible! :shock: :lol:

I'm more than sure Gem gave the most wonderful home and care these bunnies needed ... so lets leave it shall we girlies :roll: X

Ah, this confirms something I have suspected for a while about 'certain people' - obviously would not want to slander anyone though ;)

Re the original post - you could do an emergency spay if necessary. I know some people will spay really late, but I would have great difficulty doing it after you can feel the babies in the womb.

Best to seek your vets advice and listen to your own conscience. Not good to bring baby bunnies into the world at the mo with the population explosion but you have to be able to live with your own conscience :)

They will both be off the Emma on Saturday so I will leave it up to her to make the decision as they are not my rabbits

Back