• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bonding advice needed

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
Starting a new thread as other one has digressed a little Decided to try bond a girl to my outdoor boy,same age, a bunny I once fostered years ago. Any advice how to bond new bun to outside boy please. All outdoor space is HIS area and I have no neutral space at all . How can I bond her onto space thats all his. Thank you guys x

Last edited:
You will need to bond them indoors in a small enclosure well away from the indoor pair. A completely separate room.
The new Doe should be quarantined away from all your Rabbits for a week to allow her to settle, to make sure she is healthy and for you to gain some insight into her character.

Is she spayed and vaccinated?

If not this needs to be done before any attempt at bonding.

You will need to bond them indoors in a small enclosure well away from the indoor pair. A completely separate room.
The new Doe should be quarantined away from all your Rabbits for a week to allow her to settle, to make sure she is healthy and for you to gain some insight into her character.

Is she spayed and vaccinated?

If not this needs to be done before any attempt at bonding.

Hi yes she will be spayed and vaccinated. Problem is the only indoor space I have is where I attempted a previous bond that failed so my boy will have his smell. There's nowhere else. Also she's outdoors so won't it be dangerous her living inside the warm then out out again. Im so confused. I appreciate your help

If you bring them in to bond them at this time of year as long as the room isn’t heated then it won’t be a problem to return them to outside again. Unless you are going to camp outside too how else can you be close by overnight at the start of bonding ? IME it adds unnecessary stress for the Rabbits to bond them by separating them and putting them back together again time after time. I am not saying that doing that can never work, just that IME it has never been necessary.

I have bonded Rabbits using my bathroom as the bonding area. I don’t know your housing situation, but is there no indoor area anywhere that’s away from your bonded pair? Bathroom, kitchen, hallway ?If you neutralise the area you used before to try to bond the trio, using a dilute white vinegar solution and moving around any furniture etc to make it smell and look different the buck could be tricked into not recognising the area.

Has he new girl always lived on her own? Is she healthy as far as you can tell? Is it possible that you can separate your outdoor space into 2 so boy and girl can cohabit close to each other, giving her time to settle and be vaccinated. Leaving the neutering till later. This way you will be able to monitor how she behaves etc. I know this is a different method to IM's advice but you don't want to upset your other pair again.

Has he new girl always lived on her own? Is she healthy as far as you can tell? Is it possible that you can separate your outdoor space into 2 so boy and girl can cohabit close to each other, giving her time to settle and be vaccinated. Leaving the neutering till later. This way you will be able to monitor how she behaves etc. I know this is a different method to IM's advice but you don't want to upset your other pair again.

So shes neutred and same age 7. I know her inside out as she lives with my friend. If the bonding fails she will return to my friend thankfully. Fingers crossed x

Sending you lots of good wishes and vibes for a successful bond, really hope all goes well for you and the bunnies xx

Back