• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What info do you wish you were told/learnt.....

When we got Toffee and Nuggett wish I knew about vaccinations.

When we got Gizmo wish we knew about pain relief and stasis.

But then when we adopted Penguin we met a lady who taught us everything about Rabbits and put us in touch with the best vets in our region so although we lost 3 buns to my stupidness I found a very special person and a lovely friend.......Sky-O. :wave:

I wish I knew how much that they would cost me and how the days of shopping trips in Topshop would drastically reduce :lol:

This is reall interesting. :wave:

The stuff I wish I knew when I got Flash was accommodation sizes and proper diet.

When I did post adoption home visits for the RSPCA they already knew that stuff and would be asking about stuff like nail clipping and litter training, and things like getting rabbits back into their area from being free range, stuff like that.

I wish i would have known to get females cos males cost alot cos you have to spay them cos of fighting!!! where as feamles are okay together!!

females are more likely to be ok together but it's still quite unusual. They tend to get hormonal around the 6 month mark and will fight just as badly as males. Mine started to fight the day before I had them booked in for their spays.
Plus there is the cancer issue already mentioned.

Males are cheaper to neuter so really you've saved yourself money.

I wish I'd known how much they'd cost me, about stasis and just how quickly they go downhill when they get ill. But then if I'd known that then I doubt I'd have got my lot anyway :lol:

I wish I had known how much cheaper it would be to have a home made hutch, and that a shop bought hutch is just too small, even with constant run space. I wish I had had more info on pellets, my previous bunnies had a mix til i knew better (although were such piggies they ate it all anyway).

i wish i had been prepared for the total enchantment to such a delicate animal.. i do love all animals but rabbits i think im obsessed with.. i didnt realise i was capable of total pure love for another soul but somehow these little monsters have managed to hook me for life :shock::shock::lol::lol:

do rabbits practice witchcraft :?

the expense. it would have put me off. i seriously cannot afford my rabbits. but i'm not thinking of rehoming them! just maybe of all three of us becoming homeless together...

I was shocked when I joined Ru on how much I didnt know :oops: I wish id known about bonding, neutering, and rabbit food. Ive always given my buns lots of space, just felt right to do that but everything else i was clueless on!

Hay, accommodation and a friend! The 3 things Milo needed improving to make his life better that he missed out on for the first 2 years.

I wish i would have known to get females cos males cost alot cos you have to spay them cos of fighting!!! where as feamles are okay together!!

My females were as hormonal and territorial as males. I found out to my and Sophies Cost. Autumn and Sophie accidentally got out at the same time. Autumn tore literal strips off Sophie, skin and everything. Luckily both were ok. this was 24 hours after Autumns spay and Sophie was spayed 6 months previous. They did get on ok after hormones had died down and they were introduced properly

Wish I had of known about proper accomodation to start with rather than spend so much money making better my mistakes. Although I am happy with my kennel, I am still thinking of expanding it but the 6x7 ft that is left of the piece of garden they are on, so another thing I wish I had of known, that once they are in your heart you will always be finding ways to improve their lives.

Wish I had of known that even neutered bunnies multiply and that one bunny is just not enough, although I know that 6 is my limit.

Last edited:
to check out vets before giving them your bun to spay:cry::cry:
we got 2 dutchies , girls, and took them in to the local vet ..an hour later the vet called to say that one had died during the op and do i want them to operate on the other one:shock::shock::evil::censored:
went and picked up both buns ..went to bun vet and not looked back.
i research my buns problem (where poss) before going to the vet.
at least then i know myself what my bun vet will do and can discuss it.

also get the rabbit health in the 21st century before you get the buns:lol:

have told oh (buns were his idea) that if i would have known then what i know now i wouldnt have got them:shock::shock: although now i wouldnt be without them:love::love::love:

plus just because 2 buns are bonded for a week or two doesnt mean that they wont fight and cause you heartache and a big vet bill:lol:

Last edited:
If I had known rabbits could have so many problems, I would have thought longer before getting one. But still, I'm glad I did. My bunnies are such a lovely comfort to me.

Even having owned 2 rabbits before Lucky, i was amazed when i found RU about how little i knew. And honestly, if i'd have known what would really be involved i would've thought twice but i am soooooo glad we have him. He's truly a joy and a wonderful character. My family think he's a baby subsitute and he probably is but they think i am barmy when it comes to him - they cant understand why we neutered him, or why we are going to the lengths we are to get him a friend. They think the pet shop in town is much easier. :shock:

Space wasnt an issue but i wish i knew more about vaccinations, food, how many charger cables he can go through and sooo much more!!

Last edited:
Dont think i've posted yet? Can't remember.

Definately the accomodation/space issue i wish i had been told about / learnt when i was a lot younger. My poor buns were stuck in tiny 3 or 4 foot hutches for their lives and very rarely came out :( *sigh* life sucks at times eh? Poor iccle fluffies.

Glad i found RU though, i've already learnt more in 3 months that i have in 28 years about bunnies :)

Thanks all!

to get insurance! i got casper when he was 4 and took him straight to the vets where they told me he had a numberous of problems now noone wants to insure him and if they did it would not cover the problems he has with his teeth keep growing luckly i learned from that and got poppy insured before going to the vets :lol: casper has his own little insurance pot at home now :love:

Back