• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis in senior rabbit

Lulu-Bobby

New Kit
My rabbit Lulu was diiagnosed with arthritis in january. She is a senior bunny but we are not too sure how old she truly is as she is a rescue. There was some general weakness in her back legs that we noticed over christmas but it didn't seem to be impacting her quality of life too much, and giving her her anti-inflammatory really helped. In the last week though, her legs seem to have become a lot weaker and more wobbly and she has a harder time getting about. We're taking her back to the vet this week but I was wondering what else at home we could do in conjucntion with medical treatment. (she still seems to be happy, eating and keeping herself clean, happy to see people when they come in, and excited about food. At this stage her quality of life is still reasonably good, and she is still able to enjoy the things she's always enjoyed the most; cuddling with Bobby, our other rabbit, eating and being stroked)

I have already moved everything a lot closer to where she spends most of her time, so that she doesn't have to move far for hay, water, litter e.c.t. Her litter box is also now low profile so she doesn't need to jump to get in and out of it. I have also been brushing her more regularly as she can find it hard to reach some areas on her back.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how i could do more to help her. I have seen some stuff on red light therapy and cold laser therapy? Does anyone have any experience with any of these? are they at all effective?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

I recently had to say farewell to my elderly Rabbit Endeavour who had severe arthritis. As well as conventional medication he did benefit from Laser Therapy. Not only did it seem to give him some relief from pain it also relaxed him and helped him psychologically. He would sit gazing out of the window or fall asleep during his treatments.

Y3vp1Ou.jpg

So whilst I have now had to let him go I do believe that LaservTherapy can be beneficial. I have a serious degenerative spinal condition myself. I use the Laser Therapy too.

Some arthritic Rabbits benefit from Acupuncture. But not all Rabbits will tolerate it, Endeavour didn’t.

He did enjoy massage though

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/massage.html

There are some tips about how to support arthritic Rabbits here

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

https://azeah.com/rabbits/osteoarthritis-and-senior-rabbit-care

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/arthritis-in-rabbits/

Aw, it sounds like Lulu is still really enjoying life even with the worsening wobbliness, and it sounds like you're taking really good care of her. My Sophie has cold laser therapy at the vets for her arthritis and it really helps her. There are also supplements with glucosamine that can help. Oxbow Joint Support, for example. It really helps some bunnies. It's also important that she keeps moving, as much as she can with her weakness. If she doesn't move much, her muscles will get weaker and the arthritis will be harder to deal with for her, so try to encourage some gentle movement if that's possible. Let's see, what else... Oh, I recently got Sophie a memory foam bed that she really loves. It offers a lot of support and a nice warm place to lie down, so it's good for arthritic bunnies. A lot of arthritic bunnies like to stay warm, too, so she might enjoy an Snugglesafe or a heat pad.

I hope the vet can help Lulu be more comfortable when you have your appointment. Sending her lots of vibes.

LuLu is lucky to have you. great advice already received so i'll just send well wishes for her, i hope some of the above helps

Aww, bless her. No advice but following as our Daisy is exactly the same with her back legs, anti inflamatries seem to be really helping and keeping the house nice and warm seems to help too. She is 12 in a few months

Back