• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What would you do?

Floppylop

Young Bun
I have been in touch with a lady who is trying to rehome a 7month old Netherland Dwarf Doe, or at least she says it is, she says she bought it in October and it had pus coming from its back end, she didnt elaborate, she wants it to go to someone who will take care of it as she cant afford the Vet.

My first instinct was that it was Pyometra but if it had it last October I am sure it would have taken the bunny before now, is there any other issue it could be, I would be happy to take it on , but not sure OH would be impressed with my paying out for a full spay operation(working on it) I have asked a few pertinant questions, but wary she will say what she thinks will appease me, such as as it had the pus all that time, and does it still have it, he comment about the vet implies it does, I have seen photos and assuming they are current the bunny looks bright enough..

What would you do? any suggestions, she wants rid of it

I would want a vet examination and diagnosis - maybe go together to either her vet or yours, then discuss the options. I would expect to at least have to pay for a spay as soon as possible.

Have you actually seen this rabbit? That would be my first action. It may be more obvious to you what the extent of the problem is. It could be something like a UTI and sludge, for instance, rather than pus. It would also give you the opportunity to see what conditions it is living in, how well it eats, poo check, etc, which might narrow things down a bit.

Worst case scenario is you take it and PTS? Or get the RSPCA involved as you know it's not getting appropriate treatment and she's potentially trying to rehome a sick animal.

I would want a vet examination and diagnosis - maybe go together to either her vet or yours, then discuss the options. I would expect to at least have to pay for a spay as soon as possible.

Have you actually seen this rabbit? That would be my first action. It may be more obvious to you what the extent of the problem is. It could be something like a UTI and sludge, for instance, rather than pus. It would also give you the opportunity to see what conditions it is living in, how well it eats, poo check, etc, which might narrow things down a bit.

Worst case scenario is you take it and PTS? Or get the RSPCA involved as you know it's not getting appropriate treatment and she's potentially trying to rehome a sick animal.

Agreed

Also, if you have other Rabbits this one will need to be quarantined well away from them. The Rabbit sounds to be in need of Urgent Vet care, the Owner is committing a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act by not obtaining it.

She wont go to the vet because of the cost ...I cant get to her, the only way I will get to see it is if she brings it to me , I dont want to push to much as I am concerned she will withdraw the ad and the bunny stays or get passed on to someone who doesnt understand

Back