• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Are You Injecting into my Rabbit ?

I completely agree with this the first time Chloe went in with stasis I was so upset and so glad they were helping I completely forgot to ask anything. I later made a list and called them the next day :oops:

Glad I am not the only one :) I do think this is one of the main problems, owners are very emotional when there bunnies are sick and do not always take in everthing that is said, at the end of the day what we really want to hear is that the bunny is going to get better :)
I think that is also one of the problems when people post on here about their sick bunnies, they don't always take on board everything that has been said in the consult and then more gets missed when it is posted on here as most of us are in a complete panic about our sick babies :(

Well that is as may be but however upset I am I would still not just allow my Rabbits to be injected with drugs without hearing from the Vet what said drugs were and how they would help.
Just my personal opinion and what I believe to be my responsibility as part and parcel of having the privilege of caring for Rabbits

:)

I take it none of you have ever been rushed into hospital unconscious then :lol::lol:, you're given a whole load of drugs without your knowledge, they don't bring you round first to check you don't mind having it :lol::lol:

Well that is as may be but however upset I am I would still not just allow my Rabbits to be injected with drugs without hearing from the Vet what said drugs were and how they would help.
Just my personal opinion and what I believe to be my responsibility as part and parcel of having the privilege of caring for Rabbits

:)

I have had to rush a seriously ill bunny to the vets this morning, I have been up most of the night with her. The vets don't know whats wrong but have admitted her and are going to "throw" everything at her possible. That is absolutely fine with me, I trust them to do their best for her. Not sure if that makes me irresponsible :?

I have had to rush a seriously ill bunny to the vets this morning, I have been up most of the night with her. The vets don't know whats wrong but have admitted her and are going to "throw" everything at her possible. That is absolutely fine with me, I trust them to do their best for her. Not sure if that makes me irresponsible :?

Of course it doesn't

Clearly whatever I do or say on here lately is wrong or upsets someone.

Time to take a LONG break from RU

Hugos There I don't think your irresponsible, you trust your vets and know they'll take the best care of your bun. I would not expect my vet to ask permission to help my bun.

But I am inclined to agree that some vets think bunny owners are clueless and don't give you any info on what they are administering and like Jane I always ask my vet what has been given to my bun when I take him/her home. Namely because how can I continue care if I don't have the full facts.

Also there are lots of threads in health where more experienced posters cannot offer often useful and helpful advise because the OP doesn't have the full facts on what has previously been tried.

Of course it doesn't

Jane you are lucky (if that is the right word to use) that you are experienced enough to know and understand exectly what your vet is telling you. My vet has to explain everything to me as we go along with any problems which they are very good and do but it doesnt always sink in if I am upset at the time. Thats why RU is so useful in that I can go away afterwards and look it up and ask questions and is why you are NOT allowed to take a break from RU!

PS Where has your siggy gone?

Of course it doesn't

You haven't upset me, I am just very very concerned that with so much constant criticism of others people's vets on here ( and I am not aiming this specifically at you :) ) that members may start to loose confidence in their vets abilities which could lead to potentially serious consequences :?

It doesn't make you irresponsible, as obviously when the rabbit is discharged, you will discuss with the vet, ALL the treatment they had to "throw" at her, its desired effect, and a prognosis.
I do believe however, that anyone who comes away from a veterinary surgery unaware of the treatment that's been given to their rabbit IS irresponsible.
It's our job to know, and IMO if we don't, we are failing the animals in our care.

It doesn't make you irresponsible, as obviously when the rabbit is discharged, you will discuss with the vet, ALL the treatment they had to "throw" at her, its desired effect, and a prognosis.
I do believe however, that anyone who comes away from a veterinary surgery unaware of the treatment that's been given to their rabbit IS irresponsible.
It's our job to know, and IMO if we don't, we are failing the animals in our care.
I disagree. Not everyone has the capacity or ability to learn every single drug and its affects. That is what you are paying the vet for - their extensive knowledge and training. Just because you don't/can't double check every action they take doesn't make you a bad pet owner IMO.

Personally I do like to know what is being injected, so I ASK, and no vet has ever been unwilling to discuss it with me. I suspect 99% of vet clients couldn't care less, so it doesn't surprise me if the vet is mildly surprised when someone takes an interest.

I disagree. Not everyone has the capacity or ability to learn every single drug and its affects. That is what you are paying the vet for - their extensive knowledge and training. Just because you don't/can't double check every action they take doesn't make you a bad pet owner IMO.

Personally I do like to know what is being injected, so I ASK, and no vet has ever been unwilling to discuss it with me. I suspect 99% of vet clients couldn't care less, so it doesn't surprise me if the vet is mildly surprised when someone takes an interest.

No one's asking you to be aware of every single drug. Just those prescribed to your rabbit, at any specific time.
It isn't about double checking, it's about being fully involved with the animals treatment. Because ultimately that is solely your responsibility.

No one's asking you to be aware of every single drug. Just those prescribed to your rabbit, at any specific time.
It isn't about double checking, it's about being fully involved with the animals treatment. Because ultimately that is solely your responsibility.

But a lot of medication is given to bun there & then - you don't take home for a course of drugs- so you would need to have a wide knowledge of medications, so that during the examination you would know what bun was having.

I would want to know the nature of the drug - pain killer/gut stimulant/anti biotic, but beyond that I generally don't have a clue.

In a rush - like my recent Spice pts - I couldn't have asked anything, I was so panicked. I know a lot of people come on here before they "rush" to the vets, but I'm definitely treat first, ask questions later.

If bun is displaying symptoms for longer, or I have experienced/read about before - I may ask vet if a certain type of treatment would be a good idea.

I don't think its about knowing what every drug does but by asking questions you learn new things which may be of use to you in the future.

For example how many bunny users who aren't members of this forum would know if a myxi vac was administered properly unless they asked? Part and parcel of pet ownership is learning, so you can do the best for them.

My vets have recently been taken over. My old vet was totally brilliant, she'd tell me everything she was doing and why, I had complete faith in her. She has now left and her replacements aren't very bunny savvy but atleast with the knowledge I have learned I have a bit more confidence to push for the best care.

But a lot of medication is given to bun there & then - you don't take home for a course of drugs- so you would need to have a wide knowledge of medications, so that during the examination you would know what bun was having.

I would want to know the nature of the drug - pain killer/gut stimulant/anti biotic, but beyond that I generally don't have a clue.

Vets aren't gods, and the vast majority will explain on a level you can fully understand, what the drugs are, their purpose, and any possible side effects.
I read dozens of threads on here, where people are asking for advice about treatment given, but their queries are never resolved, because they don't have a clue about what type of analgesia, GI stimulant, or ABX the rabbit was given during the consult.
Surely, the person to question, is the person who prescribed the medication? Isn't his/her knowledge what you're paying for?

Well I certainly couldn't tell you exactly what drugs my rabbits have been on at any specific time.
Like Angie I know that they are gut stimulants, anti-biotics etc, but certainly couldn't tell you the exact brand or drug in use.

I definitely agree that taking an active interest in the care and medicating carried out by your vet is a good thing, which promotes better ownership, but labelling people as "irresponsible" because they can't name the exact analgesic their vet used seems faintly ridiculous to me.

labelling people as "irresponsible" because they can't name the exact analgesic their vet used seems faintly ridiculous to me.

Really? Well it seems incredibly ridiculous to me, to not know (or even want to know) something as important, and basic, as was your rabbit given a NSAID, or opiate, so I will happily sit with the "faintly ridiculous".

Really? Well it seems incredibly ridiculous to me, to not know (or even want to know) something as important, and basic, as was your rabbit given a NSAID, or opiate, so I will happily sit with the "faintly ridiculous".

Fair enough. We obviously differ greatly in our opinions on this. Personally I would expect 99.9% of vet clients wouldn't even know what those are, and I don't find that ridiculous. :?

I couldn't list every single drug any of my buns have had at any one time, Christabel always tells me at the time but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other, like the time i thought Lionel was dying and mouth breathing etc i couldn't tell you what he had been given then, IMO that doesn't make me irresponsible.

I agree totally, now I do ask what drugs are being used, but out of interest more than anything, I trust my vet 100% and I don't need to know what drugs are being given as long as my bun gets better :)

I am sure most people will complain if vets blind them with science so saying painkiller, something to help his gut etc is fine

Fair enough. We obviously differ greatly in our opinions on this. Personally I would expect 99.9% of vet clients wouldn't even know what those are, and I don't find that ridiculous. :?

You're absolutely right, that isn't ridiculous, it's worrying.
You don't think it's important, to know whether your rabbit is drowsier than it was, due to a worsening of its condition, or a normal reaction to the type of analgesia it was given. It's VERY basic stuff.

Back