• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye. Vet wants to remove teeth.

Lago_noob

New Kit
Hi! Lazarus was rescued from the road side behind our condo in Bangkok. After a year he is a beaut and a good pal of mine (and my dogs). Recently he developed a weepy eye. Vet tried antibiotics but then we xrayed and it turns out to be pressure on his tear duct as a result of a dental malocllusion (sp?) I think this is either natural or as a result of neglect before we found him (despite his diet his teeth need trimming monthly, something we're used to). The vet thinks the only way to relieve the pressure and unblock the duct is to remove his incisors. This seems a little invasive to me. The question is; what is worse - remove the teeth? Or live with weepy eye? I can handle bathing it every day, but i feel like it must be irritating for him and also the wetness matts his fur and must be an infection risk? What do you all think? Many thanks!

Incisor malocclusion can progress to cause a lot worse problems than just weepy eyes. Infections and nasty abscesses can occur as can osteomyelitis if infection gets into bone. Upper respiratory tract infections are common if the tooth roots penetrate the nasal cavity. Personally I would always opt for Incisor extraction as long as the Rabbit is otherwise in good health and the Vet is experienced with treating Dental problems in Rabbits.

Rabbits cope perfectly well without incisors, they usually just need veg rations cut up smaller and possibly short strand hay. If they have very long coats they may also need a bit of help with grooming and they may need more bum checks incase they are not quite so efficient at eating their cecotrophs and keeping themselves clean.

Incisor malocclusion can progress to cause a lot worse problems than just weepy eyes. Infections and nasty abscesses can occur as can osteomyelitis if infection gets into bone. Upper respiratory tract infections are common if the tooth roots penetrate the nasal cavity. Personally I would always opt for Incisor extraction as long as the Rabbit is otherwise in good health and the Vet is experienced with treating Dental problems in Rabbits.

Rabbits cope perfectly well without incisors, they usually just need veg rations cut up smaller and possibly short strand hay. If they have very long coats they may also need a bit of help with grooming and they may need more bum checks incase they are not quite so efficient at eating their cecotrophs and keeping themselves clean.

agree, and can be very hard to manage.

Can't add to good advice given, as no experience of this, but just want to wish your bunny well, and hope you and vet can decide on best way forward to help him. Let us know how he goes on.

Thanks so much everyone. That has given me a lot of confidence to go ahead. Got a visit to the vets tomorrow. Will let you know how he gets on.

:wave: I remember you rescuing Lazarus. It was a heart warming story. So lovely to hear how a year on he is coping well & your all best buddies. I hope the vets appointment goes well. Any chance we could see a more recent photo of him?

Back