• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was potty trained now not....any ideas?

Jaki5

Alpha Buck
:wave:

Most of you will be aware that I made a new indoor run for my girl but ever since I done it she has not used her potty at all!! She even has two potties in the base of her cage now and totally ignores them, she sits on her hay and pees and poos on it while eating it!! I'm forever cleaning the mess up and moving the potty about hoping she will go in it.

I've tried placing her in the potty for her to freak out and jump at me then hide, really starting to loose the place with her as I don;t want her messing on her Hay that she is eating, eugh!! And also I don't want to have to clean her out a million times a day, just don;t have the time for it especially in the morning when im running about mad trying to catch a bus for work.

Any advice welcome xx

I just put hay in their litter tray. It's quite common for rabbits, they like to eat whilst they poo. I would advise you just give up and start putting hay on top of the litter tray and move the litter tray to where she is going toilet. :?

:wave:

Most of you will be aware that I made a new indoor run for my girl but ever since I done it she has not used her potty at all!! She even has two potties in the base of her cage now and totally ignores them, she sits on her hay and pees and poos on it while eating it!! I'm forever cleaning the mess up and moving the potty about hoping she will go in it.

I've tried placing her in the potty for her to freak out and jump at me then hide, really starting to loose the place with her as I don;t want her messing on her Hay that she is eating, eugh!! And also I don't want to have to clean her out a million times a day, just don;t have the time for it especially in the morning when im running about mad trying to catch a bus for work.

Any advice welcome xx

If she is 'going' in one spot put the litter tray there also scoop her poops up off the floor and place them in the tray, as her scent will then be in the tray, lots of hay in the tray they LIKE to eat and poo at same time, might not be good idea to us but thats what they do...just keep doing this...

Is she spayed? I acquired a new female a few months ago who wasn't spayed, and she was pooing and weeing everywhere (she wasn't litter trained before I got her). I eventually got her mostly litter trained (with a lot of patience), it's a good idea to use a tray with a detachable rim that goes around it to stop them missing when they wee! However, she was still doing a lot of poos on the carpet when she was out, and also randomly in her cage. We had her spayed 2 weeks ago, and she is now doing everything in her litter tray! Yay! :)

My two only eat their hay in the litter tray....i dont give them hay anywhere else (Mandy, you know this!!)

Rabbits manage to pick out the bits that they havent peed on!

Just put her hay at one side of her litter tray (the new rectangle one) and dont put hay anywhere else, then she will have to jump in the litter tray to get it :)

As disgusting as it sounds, my two also wee and poo all over the hay that they eat as well. :mrgreen::mrgreen: Any hay that's on the floor will be peed on and/or eaten, so it's best to save your sanity and just go with the flow. ;) :lol:

I add fresh hay on top at regular intervals throughout the day and then completely clean the tray once a day, so they always have access to hay that hasn't been weed on too. You could also try putting a hay manger just above the litter tray, so that she can pee in the tray and eat the clean hay at the same time.

My two only eat their hay in the litter tray....i dont give them hay anywhere else (Mandy, you know this!!)

Rabbits manage to pick out the bits that they havent peed on!

Just put her hay at one side of her litter tray (the new rectangle one) and dont put hay anywhere else, then she will have to jump in the litter tray to get it :)

That's a good idea Kirsty, was just worried incase she ate some of the litter pellets. I'll give that a bash and see how she goes. Here's hoping she picks up on it and goes back to being a clean bunny :lol: x

Is she spayed? I acquired a new female a few months ago who wasn't spayed, and she was pooing and weeing everywhere (she wasn't litter trained before I got her). I eventually got her mostly litter trained (with a lot of patience), it's a good idea to use a tray with a detachable rim that goes around it to stop them missing when they wee! However, she was still doing a lot of poos on the carpet when she was out, and also randomly in her cage. We had her spayed 2 weeks ago, and she is now doing everything in her litter tray! Yay! :)

Not spayed yet, trying to get her to lose some weight before the vet will do it :evil: she isn;t even fat in my eyes!! Hopefully getting her "seen to" soon tho x

That's a good idea Kirsty, was just worried incase she ate some of the litter pellets. I'll give that a bash and see how she goes. Here's hoping she picks up on it and goes back to being a clean bunny :lol: x

What litter are you using?

I used to put shredded paper in my litter trays, but the bunnies would sit and eat it as they did their toileting. I now put hay in my trays. They sit and eat hay. What size litter trays are you using. I have two large cat trays which I line with newspaper, then I put cheap hay down as the first layer and then better hay for them to chomp on.

Back