• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning over Flystrike, feel so sick

Just to echo others - I have had four 'almost' cases here over the years -

one a bunny who was briefly incontinent after an op (and was EC as well), another renal failure bun, another who had an eye infection and was very elderly and they went for his rear end even though it was the eye that was weeping, , and a 3 legged bun who again was getting on rather.

In each case through what I can only call freak circumstances we caught them literally within an hour of it happening (in one case we actually saw the fly 'acting oddly, another it was within 10 mins) but even with that the maggots had started to hatch by the time we got to the vets in two of the cases.

All survived - some with nothing more than an injection and a wash - .

Your very brave post does highlight very much that if a bun doesn't come to food and hasnt been seen out and about that day then they definitely need hauling out from wherever they are and checking - and I think it s very very good of you to post it because it will really really emphasise to everyone how careful to be, and by that you will have saved future lives.

I really feel for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It's natural to blame ourselves and hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hope in time you can forgive yourself because you didn't intend for her to become ill - you made a decision based on what you thought would be least stressful for Opal at that time and you were just very unfortunate. Take care. xxx

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I keep crying, and every time I think about it I feel sick with guilt and I don't think that will ever go away. And every time I feel of poor Opal and what she suffered I feel like vomiting. I really don't want to go through this again ever. I've lost two buns to EC despite preventative treatment with panacur and now this. So I think I can confidently say I won't be having a rabbit in the near future, if ever. And if I ever did it would have to be in a new house where I can keep them indoors or in a conservatory or similar, so I can keep an even closer eye on them. I knew I was losing control of the bum situation, which is why I was going to rehome her to someone who could keep her indoors and I'm so angry with myself for not seeing this coming. Hindsight is a good thing, but I considered myself a good rabbit owner and that's now gone. My friend pointed out yesterday that I have cleaned Opal's bum for a good few years now and she's helped me on several occasions to wash her but recently it's become harder to keep her clean and she hated it so much she'd hide in the far corner of the run where I couldn't reach her if she saw me coming.

Just let this be a lesson to anyone with a mucky bum bunny, check them twice a day even if they hate it and don't assume it won't happen to you.

So sorry for your loss and thank you for being so brave to post about it. I think if you ask people on RU, many of us will have experienced fly strike. I know I have - but I was lucky and my bunny survived. All I can say is if your post makes just one person check their bunny then something good has come out of something awful. Hugs xx

The hardest losses to cope with are the ones where we feel we've contributed, but the important thing is to remember that Opal herself is pain-free and at peace.

It's almost impossible to keep pets without making some error of judgement at some point. I'm so sorry yours had such devastating consequences, but it was an honest mistake, and although torturing yourself with "what-ifs" is probably part of the grieving process, I really hope you can forgive yourself in time and find some kind of peace..... So very, very sorry. :cry:

I'm sorry you have lost Opal - flystrike is horrib le:(

I have kept rabbits for years, and regularly through my work talk to people about the risks of flystrike, yet I had a case last year with my BB.

Luckily I caught her in time as the maggots had only recently hatched and I got her treated immediately, but she had an awful wound that took weeks to heal properly.

People need to be aware that it is not only mucky bums that attract flies. Incontinent rabbits and damp fur are just as big a risk, if not bigger.

The flies don't often lay the eggs actually in the poopy area, but often just above the tail, at the back of their necks, on the underside of their legs, in fact anywhere.

At risk rabbits need to be checked ALL OVER, not just a quick tip to look at their bum. I didn't see BB's infestation at first - it was only because I'd bought her up to the house to check why she was acting differently that I found them. I shudder to think that I so nearly missed seeing them (they were right in the crook of her back leg, deep in her fur)

So sorry about Opal:(:(:(

I also lost my rabbit, Toby, yesterday to fly strike. I have read about it before but for whatever reason never really appreciated the risk. Toby had problems with his bottom all his life. I have spent 4 years 7 months doing my best to keep his bottom clean. I too had put Toby out in the garden during the milder months thinking he would be happier out there.

Yesterday morning he seemed quiet but I was in a rush for work. At lunch he was still quiet so I picked him up and was horrified by what I saw. Can't get that image out of my head. I took him straight to the vets but they said the wound wouldn't heal and he was put to sleep. I couldn't bring myself to see him one last time.

I am overwhelmed with guilt. Also anger. My vet was aware of his bum issues but never once warned me about fly strike of advised I could buy a product to guard against it. I have done countless research on the Internet over the years but only ever really focused on his diet.

Please be vigilant. Don't let this happen to your rabbit.

I also lost my rabbit, Toby, yesterday to fly strike. I have read about it before but for whatever reason never really appreciated the risk. Toby had problems with his bottom all his life. I have spent 4 years 7 months doing my best to keep his bottom clean. I too had put Toby out in the garden during the milder months thinking he would be happier out there.

Yesterday morning he seemed quiet but I was in a rush for work. At lunch he was still quiet so I picked him up and was horrified by what I saw. Can't get that image out of my head. I took him straight to the vets but they said the wound wouldn't heal and he was put to sleep. I couldn't bring myself to see him one last time.

I am overwhelmed with guilt. Also anger. My vet was aware of his bum issues but never once warned me about fly strike of advised I could buy a product to guard against it. I have done countless research on the Internet over the years but only ever really focused on his diet.

Please be vigilant. Don't let this happen to your rabbit.

Hugs to you, I know exactly what you're going through, I still can't get the image out of my head :( I lay in bed last night for ages as everytime I close my eyes I see poor Opal. I too focused on her diet. Each time I took her to be shaved by the vet they charged me £25 and her bum would be ok for a few days then as soon as the fur grew back the poo would start accumulating again. If I got her when it was fresh I could wipe her clean but if it dried it was impossible to cut away without her skin tearing. And I just couldn't afford a weekly trip to the vets so I did the best I could which obviously wasn't enough. I was too upset to go with Opal to the vets, I was so lucky that my hubby was there and he took her and stayed with her whilst the vet put her to sleep. I have since heard a few people locally say flystrike is a big problem this year and they've lost lambs to it. That feeling of the realisation that as I lifted her skin, she had a big wound with maggots in, will never leave me.

BB Mommy - now I had no idea they can lay their eggs anywhere, I have only ever checked the bottom area and briefly at that, as we know rabbits hate being tipped upside down.

I'm sorry you have lost Opal - flystrike is horrib le:(

I have kept rabbits for years, and regularly through my work talk to people about the risks of flystrike, yet I had a case last year with my BB.

Luckily I caught her in time as the maggots had only recently hatched and I got her treated immediately, but she had an awful wound that took weeks to heal properly.

People need to be aware that it is not only mucky bums that attract flies. Incontinent rabbits and damp fur are just as big a risk, if not bigger.

The flies don't often lay the eggs actually in the poopy area, but often just above the tail, at the back of their necks, on the underside of their legs, in fact anywhere.

At risk rabbits need to be checked ALL OVER, not just a quick tip to look at their bum. I didn't see BB's infestation at first - it was only because I'd bought her up to the house to check why she was acting differently that I found them. I shudder to think that I so nearly missed seeing them (they were right in the crook of her back leg, deep in her fur)

So sorry about Opal:(:(:(

I have found that between tail and upper back is their favourite

So sorry to hear your sad news!

You come across as a very loving, conscientious rabbit owner!

One of my rabbits is prone to a sticky bum but hates being handled so your thread has at least, made me extra vigilant :oops:

Thank you for your post,

Thinking of you x

:cry::cry: Oh sweetheart I want to give you a big hug.

I had to have the back door open all day and the big flies were relentless. I found maggots in my bunnies hutch years ago.

I am very very sorry you lost Opal. You sound like a very caring owner who loved Opal.

I think everything has been said in other peoples posts.

Honestly, even if you'd checked her it could have still happened. It takes hold so quick. My vet was telling me yesterday he has seen massive numbers of cases this year compared to others.

I know nothing anyone else says can stop how you're feeling, but as others have said - the fact you cleaned her so lovingly for so long really is a testament :)

If only buns could talk eh?

Keep your chin up and stick with RU x

Back