• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warm Enough for Hutch to Come Out of Shed??

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

Can I have your opinions about what I should do for my outside buns? They are currently in a hutch in a shed with run attached with a flap for access during the day.

The shed and run are South East facing and so get a lot of sunshine through the day and the shed itself has started to get quite hot on a sunny day. We dont have a window that is open-able. They are obviously able to go in the run and clearly enjoy sunbathing and there is a bit of shade at one end if they need/want it.

Because of this I was thinking it is time to move the hutch out of the shed and attach the run directly to that. They would have loads of straw and tarpaulins down at night, this was fine for them last summer. Am just wondering if they are ready for this and if the weather is warm enough - I think there may be a couple of nights at 0 degrees coming next week, so now am wondering whether to hang off for a couple of weeks - then again there's 16s during the day...

What do you think? I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks
Helen

PS The Hutch and run would be moved to a sheltered and shady position for the summer.

At the weekend I would have said yes but this morning I woke up to frozen car :shock: :shock: How chilly has it been with you?

Thanks for the reply. Its been nice during the daytime, qjuite warm at times, but nights have been quite chilly.

Thinking about the forecast for next week (with a 0 degree temp night forecast), I think I will delay it for a bit. :wave:

Hello, is your hutch or shed insulated? If not I would say the outside temperatures are pretty much the same as the inside. My playhouse is not insulated but I used to have a separate box in there full of hay for them to snuggle in. But I have found no matter how cold, my bunnies seem to choose to sit out at in all temperatures including -10!! even though I filled the playhouse with hay and snuggle safes etc! they do have a cover on the run though so no wind or rain gets in on bad days. Im sort of assuming if they are outside that they will have a winter coat whether its in a shed or completely outside? Not sure though:)

I've moved mine outside, just added a bit more hay in the bed area and she's covered by a thick plastic sheet in the night which covers the whole hutch. I didn't want her to be too hot in the shed whilst I was at work during the day (blooming early shift in this glorious weather!). I get the sun all day at the back of the house so it's not been too bad for her, the only thing is with having the window open at night I can hear her thumping and grunting...LOL roll on her neutering on wednesday.

Back