• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets fees- why are they so high??

Mine are Fabby. I have never been charged a consult, we lived there when Princess was ill (everyday for a week), vacs are cheaper than anywhere else, and the vets seem to want the best, not just in and out.

They even stopped open for me to bring Sophie in when I was worried about her on New years eve. :)

I think if you are unhappy about their prices, either complain, and ask why,esp if they are the most expensive in town. Or start checking other places in town out.

the vet i am with now i happily pay, they are knowledgeable, helpful and do everything they can for my bunnies. I paid £170 for peanut and this was for 4 consultations, dressings, abscess removal, the anasthetic and bottom body xrays. which i think is fine as they did their job.

However, when i think of my previous vet, peanut once got bitten by a rat which got into his hutch, and they looked at it, and instantly told me his tail had to be removed and this would cost £150!! I took him to another vet because to me it didnt look that bad and didnt want to pay out for no reason..took him to another vet and she gave him some antibiotics and said he was fine it was a 'small bite on the skin, nowhere near the bone' the vet i said prior to this said it was 'a risk' and wanted to amputate the next day.

I will NEVER ever use said vets again as i think its ridiculous, my dad always disliked them but now i have my own opinion.

I am happy to pay out for GOOD vets, but not for any other than the best

I do think it's a bit of a cheek that rabbits used to be classed as childrens pets and consults were £10 but now they are "exotic" and our vet charges £18.50 to see them :?

Back