• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very poorly rabbit

Can you give your emergency vets a ring with a view to having her admitted for fluid therapy, getting her stronger pain relief if possible and some Questran as there is nothing else you can do at home.

It may also be worth asking your vets their thoughts on intubating her as I dont feel the gas is going to disperse on it's own. She may also have developed a trichobezoar somewhere in her GI tract from ingesta backing up and this could be preventing the gas from dispersing through it's usual route. The key to moving this is softening it with fluid. An enema may also be an option to consider if the situation is critical.

I am so hoping Honey pulls through for you, I have been here a few times with one of my rabbits and it was such a draining experience.

Can you give your emergency vets a ring with a view to having her admitted for fluid therapy, getting her stronger pain relief if possible and some Questran as there is nothing else you can do at home.

It may also be worth asking your vets their thoughts on intubating her as I dont feel the gas is going to disperse on it's own. She may also have developed a trichobezoar somewhere in her GI tract from ingesta backing up and this could be preventing the gas from dispersing through it's usual route. The key to moving this is softening it with fluid. An enema may also be an option to consider if the situation is critical.

I am so hoping Honey pulls through for you, I have been here a few times with one of my rabbits and it was such a draining experience.

I have not long been of the phone to the emergency vet, & they said with all the meds she has here & with me giving her water & food with the syringe theres nothing else that they can do for her apart from giving her the fluids i'm already giving her, is there anything i could say to the vet that they have missed off at all? i am so worried for her now.

I so hope there has been an improvement in Honey this morning.

You have tried so hard with her and have cared for her so well,
Vanessa xx

A very big thank you to you all for caring about Honey, well i was up till 7 again syringing water & food & massaging her tummy, i went to bed at 7 & got up at 11 again & when i picked up her she had passed quite a lot of poo lol but not like it should be, i could smell her before i got to her, i cleaned her up then i did a dance & thanked God :D
She is still bloated & i had to syringe water & food again plus she has had all her meds & when i was massaging her tummy i can still feel the gas in there.
I am so pleased she has passed something but she is still peeing on me bless her & still in some pain, but i believe now that she will make it & beat this nasty gas that has made her suffer so much.
Thank you thank you thank you sooooo very much for all of your help & for being there for us in the early hours when i needed some one the most, big ((((((Hugs & kisses)))))) to you XXXXXX

That is really excellent news. After such a long bout of stasis her stools will indeed be poorly formed and smelly (think how long it's been sitting there :mrgreen:) but it means things are moving again which is great.

Keep up the fluids and meds and hopefully she will continue to improve. Now would also be the time to try and get her to eat again of her own accord if at all possible as this will encourage her gut mobility more than force feeding :D

You don't water too much water and food, w/ the current problem

A rabbit needs 50 ml of water per KG of weight. However, a bit below that is okay for a few days.

Is the left side of her stomach still hard? The left side as in the rabbit's left side if you are facing at her back

You need metocloprimide. If your vet won't give it to you, get your human doctor to prescribe it to YOU, and give it to your rabbit. It's the same medicine.

You don't water too much water and food, w/ the current problem

A rabbit needs 50 ml of water per KG of weight. However, a bit below that is okay for a few days.

Is the left side of her stomach still hard? The left side as in the rabbit's left side if you are facing at her back

You need metocloprimide. If your vet won't give it to you, get your human doctor to prescribe it to YOU, and give it to your rabbit. It's the same medicine.

When i took Honey to the vets last week she was 126 in weight so she was a little over weight has she is small but by friday she was 122 & she as lost some more weight but not sure how much.
Last night the left side was very hard, but today it is very soft & jelly like lol & i cannot feel go much gas in there, she is starting to clean her self now & i have just cleaned her up again has she has passed a more again in the last hour, i have been on the phone to the vets again & they said to carry on with all the meds & keep syringing water & food.
I have make some mint tea & gave her some which she loves but i have stopped the Infacol, can you tell me please if i should give it again?
Casn you tell me what the Metocloprimide is for, has i am at the vets in the tomorrow & i will ask for that & if they say no then i will ask my doctor for it.
Many thanks xxxx

Metaclopromide is a gut stimulant aimed at increasing gut motility so that food starts to pass through the GI tract again.

You were given Maxolon which is oral Metaclopromide.

If the gas has dispersed I would stop with the Infacol due to the sugar concentration which can encourage bad bacteria to grow, if however she starts to bloat out again I would procede with it. Simethicone is chemically inert which means overdose is almost impossible.

If you still have Fiberplex I would indevour to administer that if at all possible.

Metaclopromide is a gut stimulant aimed at increasing gut motility so that food starts to pass through the GI tract again.

You were given Maxolon which is oral Metaclopromide.

If the gas has dispersed I would stop with the Infacol due to the sugar concentration which can encourage bad bacteria to grow, if however she starts to bloat out again I would procede with it. Simethicone is chemically inert which means overdose is almost impossible.

If you still have Fiberplex I would indevour to administer that if at all possible.

I did give the Infacol quite a few time but then i stopped it early hours. Yes the vet said to give the Fiberplex 3 times a day which i have been doing. Can i just say to you SOOZ you have been a rock to me & Honey i think you don't sleep much has well lol as you was there the last few night till early mornings giving me advice, i was in tears last night & thought the worst, but you kept me going & i thank you for that xxx

I did give the Infacol quite a few time but then i stopped it early hours. Yes the vet said to give the Fiberplex 3 times a day which i have been doing. Can i just say to you SOOZ you have been a rock to me & Honey i think you don't sleep much has well lol as you was there the last few night till early mornings giving me advice, i was in tears last night & thought the worst, but you kept me going & i thank you for that xxx

:oops: Thats very sweet of you, thank you.:oops:

I work evenings quite a lot and don't get home until 12am so my natural bodyclock for sleep usually kicks in at 2am.

Thats quite right for the Fiberplex but how many tubes did you get? I would keep it up until she is right again as if memory serves me there are 9 graduations in a tube which is 3 days supply only.

I went through all this with me heart bunny Caspian from October to November last year and he was very, very ill. We managed to pull him back so many times but he would relapse after just a few days and sadly after a very long battle we reached a point where he stopped responding to treatment. I could not see him in pain any longer (this bout had lasted 6 days) and made a hugely difficult decision to let him go.

So I do know what you are going through and if my experience can help at all then Caspian didn't die in vain and I can get some comfort from that.

Last edited:
:oops: Thats very sweet of you, thank you.:oops:

I work evenings quite a lot and don't get home until 12am so my natural bodyclock for sleep usually kicks in at 2am.

Thats quite right for the Fiberplex but how many tubes did you get? I would keep it up until she is right again as if memory serves me there are 9 graduations in a tube which is 3 days supply only.

I went through all this with me heart bunny Caspian from October to November last year and he was very, very ill. We managed to pull him back so many times but he would relapse after just a few days and sadly after a very long battle we reached a point where he stopped responding to treatment.

I could not see him in pain any longer (this bout had lasted 6 days) and made a hugely difficult decision to let him go.

So I know what you are going through and if my experience can help at all then Casp didn't die in vain and I can get some comfort from that.

I have enough of Fibreplex till tomorrow & i will get more from the vet.
My heart goes out to you, the pain you must of felt when you had to make that decision must of been heart breaking, but you only want the very best for your sweethearts. No please believe he did not die in vain, you have helped me more then you know, also Tamsin was a great help to us as well.
Honey is such a fighter with all she as been though in the short time she come to me, this is the worst i have ever saw her, with the abscess on both hocks & the ops she has had to have & the vet saying she more then likely won't make it this time, she always pulled though, but i have never saw her in pain like this before & the vets never really told me what to expect, i pray she never goes though this again, as you said, it is so very drainning for us to watch them go though this, i just cant imagine what pain & suffering they are feeling, it must be hell, but she has pass motion twice now & the sun is shinning in more ways then one lol :D xxx

Oh that is fantastic news that Honey is improving. :):):) I am so pleased for you, and well done for nursing Honey through this. I hope she is now over the worst and is soon back to normal.

:wave: so pleased Honey has improved, that is super news! glad i didn't have to smell that poop though, bleurgh!

yay for Honey!

lost control of front legs

Things have gone wrong ... i was at the emergency vets at 2am with Honey as she went really funny, she started to fight with me when i was syringing her with water & food which was odd, but then at 1.30am i put her on her bed as she kept trying to get of my knee, & i was in the other room & i heard her run & make a noise, she had gone under the cardboards & her front legs was straight out in front of her but her back legs was normal. I pulled her out & she seemed weird so i put her down & she tried to run away but her front legs kept speading out in front of her like she couldn't control them.
The vet said she looked well apart from her stomach & she could feel the gas in there, but apart from that she said there was nothing she can do for her as i was doing everything i could & they would only be doing the same.
The vet gave her 2 injections of pain killer, but all though the night Honey as not moved at all & her front legs are just staight out in front of her & at times she pulls herself up by using her bum as her front legs have stopped work :cry: She as not pasted wee or poo since this as happened. I am just waiting now for my vet to open & i will take her down there as soon as they do.
Does any one know why her front legs have stopped working at all. I have a bad feeling that she is going down hill now so fast. xxxx

Last edited:
I've lost my Honey, she couldnt walk at all, i had to have her put to sleep, i want her back with me so much i feel like im dieing to, im sorry xxxx

Oh sweetheart I am so so sorry. Poor Honey, you tried so hard for her. Be at peace now Honey.

Sending you loads of hugs and thinking of you,
Vanessa xx

I'm so sorry. The underlying case is not bloat or whatever causing her not to pass the poos. There is something much more serious that causing this, and it now looks like the not passing poos, etc. is a secondary effect of whatever is causing this. I'll let other experts who have seen something like this to comment on this.

If there were other rabbits in the house, then do a PM and find out the cause. If not, get yourself a pair of bonded male + female bun from one of the closer rescue centers to re-fill the emptiness in the house w/ energy.

If you're into getting rescue rabbits as part of your family, I recommend buying some books, w/ the best one being "The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine" by Dr. Frances Hancourt-Brown. It's not cheap, but at times like what you were facing, the book saves lives.

Back