• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinating

We have 7 rabbits and all are done twice a year for myxo and once a year for VHD. Works out around £400 a year for their vaccinations. Our vet lets us pay it up weekly each time we get a set of vaccs - Maybe yours would too?

This is copied from a leaflet my vet gave me when I got Beano and took her for her first injection and my dad said they were piontless, they are certaintly not. I (and he now) would never leave Beano or Gordon unvaccinated.

This leaflet is about VHD, Prevention is the only cure.

What is VHD

VHD is a highly infectious disease of rabbits which causes bleeding from various organs in the body. In the vast majority of cases, the disease is fatal and spotting it is usually death.

Is my rabbit at risk

Both indoor and outdoor rabbits are at risk, becasue direct contact of an infected rabbit is not needed for the disease to spread. The virus can survive several months in the environment and can be carried on peoples clothes/shoes.

How can I protect my rabbit

The only effective protection is by vaccination. Boosters are needed every year.

And this one is about the benefits of vaccinations

Why vaccinate?

Rabbits are very at risk from life threatening diseases, two in particular, mxyomatosis and VHD weather they live indoors or outdoors. Vaccinations are the only way to effectively protect your rabbits.

Myxomatosis

This a disease spread by blood sucking insects and the virus multiplies in the skin of the face, ears and anus in rabbits and causes large swellings, these swellings make it difficult for the rabbit to see, eat and drink. It is incredibly painful and death takes around 12 days. Boosters for mxyi will be needed every six months to fully protect your rabbit.

Vaccination Q & A

I have never seen VHD before, do I need to vaccinate?

The reason that this disease is not often observed in wild rabbits becuase affected rabbits die so quickly. Often, and all to distressingly, the first sign of infection is death. Outbreaks often occur with no warning.

Why does my rabbit need boosters?

Vaccination does not provide lifelong protection. Because of the severity of the diseases a high level of immunity needs to be maintained.

ETA: Sorry for the long post, and this is after I shortened it!

Last edited:
That is true, if they got Myxomatosis, when unvaccinated, your vet would probably advise immediate PTS which, for 2 rabbits, would cost more than the vaccinations.Could you ask for money at Christmas and your Birthday to cover these costs?

thats a good point actully. my birthday is in July, i will ask my nan to pay for the vaccines

If i couldnt afford the vaccines i wouldnt have my buns... id rather go without food than risk not vaccinating them! But thats just me.

If i couldnt afford the vaccines i wouldnt have my buns... id rather go without food than risk not vaccinating them! But thats just me.

i could afford it if it was really essential, but i cant really use the money as its all ive got at the moment for emergencies, food, straw, hay etc..
thats £50!

but im gunna ask my nan to pay for it for my birthday

Before Lola my first housebun, I never vaccinated. All my buns were outdoor, not one contracted VHD or Myxi, but I wouldn't risk now I'm aware. I didn't before because I was ignorant, my buns were free range outdoor and didn't live in small hutches, but I do regret not vaccinating, because if anyone of them had contracted anything I would never have forgiven myself.

I would definitely vaccinate now, the facts are there, there is no excuse. I think it comes with the responsibility of owning a rabbit.

My 2 rabbits are vaccinated against myxi and will be vaccinated against VHD next week. This may sound silly but I feel really risky at the moment with them not being vaccinated against VHD. I don't know what the risk of VHD is in the area I live in but I really am looking forward to them being vaccinated against it, I will feel a lot more relaxed and safe knowing they are vaccinated against it.

If you only have £50 for emergencies I would advise insurance. If they end up woth a health problem it can be very expensive. When Toby caught his eye on a bankholiday it cost me £120 at the emergency vets before they would even look at him. It came to £230 altogether for one treatment. Luckily I had petplan so they refunded it all minus the £50 excess.
My local vets have a healthy pet club which is £4.50 a month and for that you get two myxi and one vhd vacc, wormers and two health checks a year.

Back