• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent petplan & broken leg advice please

Good to hear he's improving! He's such a dear.

Maybe you could try some children's steps/stools later on? I don't really know, but I hope he continues to get better.

Just been playing catch up again. I'm so pleased Harvey is doing so well :D well done to you, Harvey & Honey for getting through this.

Thanks everyone! :)

Bit of an essay sorry - Well we've had a very interesting day! I initially started off putting some pillows on the floor - easy peasy, he could easily jump on and off these although dont think he was too keen on the soft landing. He we then had the chill and snooze bed from his collection, again Harvey could easily jump in and out of this, the little devil had a destroying urge and pretty much chewed an entire side so he could just walk into it! Lol! But whilst chewing he was also digging and scratching in it, so a little scary but he was absolutely fine and enjoying himself.

After messing around with that I thought today was the day I would finally transfer him into his new extra large dog crate! This is where everything got crazy. I have had this dog crate in the lounge for over a week where it's been constantly open and he's happily been in and out of it. Today I moved all his bits in, laid towels along the bottom, and closed him in, for the first 5 mins or so he was fine and busy checking out his stuff. He then went pretty much mental. He chewed the bars, so I sat down beside him and stroked him, gave him some basil which he didn't touch. he then tried jumping up the bars & got soaked by landing in his water bowl.. I sat in the cage with him and towel dried his feet off but me forgetting to close the door. He then literally flew out of the door, and jumped back on top of his indoor cage the other side of the room and jumped in. I should have thought and closed it, but Nope he just jumped straight up and in through the top door. It's about 2ft off the ground! :( I went straight over, picked him up out of it and checked him, placed him on the carpet and he hopped off and hid under our table.

He's also jumped in & out of a litter tray and over my legs! Which is good but I don't want him getting to ahead of himself!

Again I tried putting him back in the large dog crate thinking he would be tired and settle with me but again he started darting about, so I let him out and again he ran over to his old cage.

I have now settled him and he's back in his old cage. It's obvious he feels much safer in this, but I really want to try & move him to the bigger cage. I know he's still poorly with his eyes and maybe now isn't the best time as I don't want him getting stressed! But anyone got any advice?

Hes currently lieing down in his cage and I'm giving him a head rub! Hopefully he can forgive me!

Will the base of the smaller cage fit in the crate ? If so you could put it in there, he may feel more settled with that. ?

Did anyone tell you that having Bunnies might be a bit........ermmmmmm....stressful at times !!

Will the base of the smaller cage fit in the crate ? If so you could put it in there, he may feel more settled with that. ?

Did anyone tell you that having Bunnies might be a bit........ermmmmmm....stressful at times !!

Hi Jane,

Haha.. No they didn't!! My family have always had bunnies, but I swear these 2 have caused more stress in 6 months than all my other bunnies in almost 10 years! But then again that might explain why my dad is bold, I bet it was the bunnies!!!

Yes his little indoor cage would easily fit into it, but my next issue is how to create some kind of decent Bridge that's safe for him. Previously they had little log bridges to get in & out but the vet told me not to use this until he's fully recovered as he needs both legs to be straight not angled!

And I'm abit scared to leave the top off and the bottom open incase he can't jump for any reason and hurt himself as the lip is really high on them. Suppose I might have to ask my dad to make a little ramp or something.

Also when I did put him back in his old cage he was still on edge and wouldn't settle because he was in the corner. After I moved it back to by the window where he currently is, he just looked at me and flopped over, as to say.. 'That's better!'

I swear I have the most odd bunnies, or please tell me others find this too?!

At least on the plus side, I can stop being so cautious about his legs. As he can jump, and we've just got to keep an very close eye on him & make sure he behaves!

Hi Jane,

Haha.. No they didn't!! My family have always had bunnies, but I swear these 2 have caused more stress in 6 months than all my other bunnies in almost 10 years! But then again that might explain why my dad is bold, I bet it was the bunnies!!!

Yes his little indoor cage would easily fit into it, but my next issue is how to create some kind of decent Bridge that's safe for him. Previously they had little log bridges to get in & out but the vet told me not to use this until he's fully recovered as he needs both legs to be straight not angled!

And I'm abit scared to leave the top off and the bottom open incase he can't jump for any reason and hurt himself as the lip is really high on them. Suppose I might have to ask my dad to make a little ramp or something.

Also when I did put him back in his old cage he was still on edge and wouldn't settle because he was in the corner. After I moved it back to by the window where he currently is, he just looked at me and flopped over, as to say.. 'That's better!'

I swear I have the most odd bunnies, or please tell me others find this too?!

At least on the plus side, I can stop being so cautious about his legs. As he can jump, and we've just got to keep an very close eye on him & make sure he behaves!

Maybe for now if he is happier in his cage perhaps leave things as they are. You can then be certain that you can supervise all his activity when he's out and about.

Would the crate fit by the window where his cage currently is ? Or is that where it was when you tried to move him into it ?

Thanks everyone! :)

Bit of an essay sorry - Well we've had a very interesting day! I initially started off putting some pillows on the floor - easy peasy, he could easily jump on and off these although dont think he was too keen on the soft landing. He we then had the chill and snooze bed from his collection, again Harvey could easily jump in and out of this, the little devil had a destroying urge and pretty much chewed an entire side so he could just walk into it! Lol! But whilst chewing he was also digging and scratching in it, so a little scary but he was absolutely fine and enjoying himself.

After messing around with that I thought today was the day I would finally transfer him into his new extra large dog crate! This is where everything got crazy. I have had this dog crate in the lounge for over a week where it's been constantly open and he's happily been in and out of it. Today I moved all his bits in, laid towels along the bottom, and closed him in, for the first 5 mins or so he was fine and busy checking out his stuff. He then went pretty much mental. He chewed the bars, so I sat down beside him and stroked him, gave him some basil which he didn't touch. he then tried jumping up the bars & got soaked by landing in his water bowl.. I sat in the cage with him and towel dried his feet off but me forgetting to close the door. He then literally flew out of the door, and jumped back on top of his indoor cage the other side of the room and jumped in. I should have thought and closed it, but Nope he just jumped straight up and in through the top door. It's about 2ft off the ground! :( I went straight over, picked him up out of it and checked him, placed him on the carpet and he hopped off and hid under our table.

He's also jumped in & out of a litter tray and over my legs! Which is good but I don't want him getting to ahead of himself!

Again I tried putting him back in the large dog crate thinking he would be tired and settle with me but again he started darting about, so I let him out and again he ran over to his old cage.

I have now settled him and he's back in his old cage. It's obvious he feels much safer in this, but I really want to try & move him to the bigger cage. I know he's still poorly with his eyes and maybe now isn't the best time as I don't want him getting stressed! But anyone got any advice?

Hes currently lieing down in his cage and I'm giving him a head rub! Hopefully he can forgive me!

Poor you! I am not surprised at all that he went mental when cooped up where he didn't expect to be.

I hope you can find some suitable set up where he can exercise but not jump too much, for now. It's hard to visualise what would be the best arrangement without actually seeing it, but I'm sure you have the best idea ...

How about a G&T? Well it would knock Harvey out - but I was thinking of you :lol:

Good luck, and *breathe* xxx

Oh bless him. I know it's not funny really but I laughed out loud when I read he jumped into his old cage .

I too was going to suggest putting the small cage into the new setup.

I do find it debatable that rabbits like variety. Whenever I change my twos setup around they sulk.

Pleased to see he's continuing to improve.:love:

Hi everyone!

Another little update.. Harvey is doing brilliantly! I would say in the last week, we are pretty much seeing at least one binky a day, it's more like a little side shuffle! Lol! But it's so cute to see, he's also started darting, no quite a bunny 500.. But his little legs can Motor when he's on a little darting session. He has also started doing his little meerkat stand this morning where he is completly putting all his weight through his back legs! :love: when hopping, he is now using both legs fully although he does still stand at a slight angle.. But all in all AMAZING!!!

Proud is not the word.. Over the last week he has come on so much! He has a little jumping session every 2 days when I encourage him to jump about 30cm in height and he's even digging in a cardboard box!

Also we popped to the vets this morning his right eye ulcer has finally gone, so we are just left with scar tissue in both eyes. He is currently still on his anti-biotic drops and anti-inflammatory drops for another week or until both eyes are fully healed! (At last some good news for my little man!!)

However, as with my bunnies.. Not everything is brilliant, as poor little honey is now being treated for an urine infection, and has also been booked in for her spay next Friday!!!!! Eek....

Thanks so much everyone, and now as I'm off think I'll take the buns out for some fresh air and run in the garden! :)

Xx

Aw that's such great news!! I followed all the updates and am so happy his legs and now eyes are basically fixed. Such a sad story that made me so angry with that cruel vet and now the story is starting to get the happy sunny ending. He would not have made i without ur devoted dedication. Well done Harvey too !! Aw poor honey. Hope she gets well soon and her spay goes well. She played her part in Harveys recovery as the dedicated watching / guarding nurse duties!

A wonderful update about Harvey !! Harvey the Indestructabun :love:

I hope that Honey's UTI clears up quickly and sending lots of vibes for her spay xx

Hi everyone!

Another little update.. Harvey is doing brilliantly! I would say in the last week, we are pretty much seeing at least one binky a day, it's more like a little side shuffle! Lol! But it's so cute to see, he's also started darting, no quite a bunny 500.. But his little legs can Motor when he's on a little darting session. He has also started doing his little meerkat stand this morning where he is completly putting all his weight through his back legs! :love: when hopping, he is now using both legs fully although he does still stand at a slight angle.. But all in all AMAZING!!!

Proud is not the word.. Over the last week he has come on so much! He has a little jumping session every 2 days when I encourage him to jump about 30cm in height and he's even digging in a cardboard box!

Also we popped to the vets this morning his right eye ulcer has finally gone, so we are just left with scar tissue in both eyes. He is currently still on his anti-biotic drops and anti-inflammatory drops for another week or until both eyes are fully healed! (At last some good news for my little man!!)

However, as with my bunnies.. Not everything is brilliant, as poor little honey is now being treated for an urine infection, and has also been booked in for her spay next Friday!!!!! Eek....

Thanks so much everyone, and now as I'm off think I'll take the buns out for some fresh air and run in the garden! :)

Xx

Poor little Honey :love::love:

Harvey is getting himself on top form to look after her ..... Well we can hope ;)

So glad he seems totally mended and happy with life. A weight off your shoulders xxx

Amazing! They can be so much more resilient than we usually give them credit for. You go Harvey! Look after your sister, tell her I hope she gets well soon. :love:

Lovely news. :love: We need pics.

Here you go! ;)

Honey bunny..

Honey exploring

What.. No I'm not sitting on your new flower bed! ;)

Video of honey..

Harvey enjoying the sunshine..

Mmmm grass..

Let me get out of this.. ;)

I'm trying to hide mummy..

Check me out moving around.. :)

And the last video of me!

Last edited:
Just caught up with your thread, and your fab -u -buns ! Harvey is a real trooper, he's moving around so well now bless him. Great to see them both enjoying the grass and sunshine. Good luck Honey with your spay, you will be fine, and your brother will be waiting for you with lots of grooms xxxx

Back