• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent petplan & broken leg advice please

There are various possible venepuncture sites- there's the marginal ear vein, the cephalic vein (front leg), lateral saphenous vein (hind leg) and the jugular vein which is usually used if large volumes of blood are needed

Good news that Harvey's left eye is healing and hopefully his right eye will soon do the same x

Thanks so much and ah I see, at least they have a few options then.. Being honest his poor little ears are still bruised from everything he's had previously with drips and what not! :(

Thank you, I really hope so too.. Have you ever used anti-imflamatry eye drops before? As they are happy for him to go back on the metacam if need be, but said the choice is mine to what would be easier for Harvey and I've opted for the eye drops, but just want to see what others think?

Thanks so much and sorry for being a pain xxx

Thanks so much and ah I see, at least they have a few options then.. Being honest his poor little ears are still bruised from everything he's had previously with drips and what not! :(

Thank you, I really hope so too.. Have you ever used anti-imflamatry eye drops before? As they are happy for him to go back on the metacam if need be, but said the choice is mine to what would be easier for Harvey and I've opted for the eye drops, but just want to see what others think?

Thanks so much and sorry for being a pain xxx

There are a few eye drops that contain both an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory. Which ones has the Vet suggested ?

Oh god, I really can't remember now.. I'll find out tomorrow, already called 3 times today so better not hassle anymore! ;)

Honey wants to say thanks everyone for sending the vibes to my little brother, 'he will get through this! But in the meantime I'm looking after him!!' xxx

Last edited:
Oh dear, my heart can barely handle those two! :love: Amy says good luck! She knows just how little fun the vet's can be.

Oh dear, my heart can barely handle those two! :love: Amy says good luck! She knows just how little fun the vet's can be.

Yes many Rabbits actually quite like Vets..............they just couldn't eat a whole Vet in one sitting :D The stethoscopes can be a bit chewy too..............

Oh god, I really can't remember now.. I'll find out tomorrow, already called 3 times today so better not hassle anymore! ;)

Honey wants to say thanks everyone for sending the vibes to my little brother, 'he will get through this! But in the meantime I'm looking after him!!' xxx

**Cuteness Alert** ..... especially that first piccie :love::love::love:

Aww Honey does make for a comfy pillow :love:

I hope the new meds will help sort Harvey's right eye. If it's any help, when Scrappy had a severe eye infection, the first two antibiotics tried didn't help at all. At one point I did get quite worried and upset because I thought she would never get better. Thankfully the third one did finally sort it and the improvement was dramatic. So try not to lose heart. I know it's easier said than done as you've all been through so much already.

Bless Honey, what a good sister she is. I'm sure Harvey will be fine, he's a real fighter. Lovely photos ! :love:

Thanks so much everyone, really do appreciate your comments & support!

Well we have a spot of more good news, we have been for his check up and his left eye still contains scar tissue which has now covering more of his eye which they are pleased with. Also his right does show some indication of scar tissue, only a small amount but it's still brilliant progress and hopefully a step in the right direction! :)

We have changed his anti-biotic eye drops to chloramphenicol and his anti imflamatry is flurbiprofen sodium, topical ophthalmic solution which has got to be kept in the fridge.

He's currently in a strop and won't come upto me, but I'm sure I'll tempt him shortly with a fenugreek crunchie! Xxxx

Thanks so much everyone, really do appreciate your comments & support!

Well we have a spot of more good news, we have been for his check up and his left eye still contains scar tissue which has now covering more of his eye which they are pleased with. Also his right does show some indication of scar tissue, only a small amount but it's still brilliant progress and hopefully a step in the right direction! :)

We have changed his anti-biotic eye drops to chloramphenicol and his anti imflamatry is flurbiprofen sodium, topical ophthalmic solution which has got to be kept in the fridge.

He's currently in a strop and won't come upto me, but I'm sure I'll tempt him shortly with a fenugreek crunchie! Xxxx

Those are really good eye drops - I'm sure they will help greatly!

Keep up the good work - You are doing so well!

Thanks ever so much, well at the moment the eye drops are stil going well. These new ones are much more watery, so I'm having to actually pull out his eye lid to collect the liquid, but bless him he's brilliant & will sit & wait whilst I do it!

I'm sorry to be cheeky but asking for more advice & hoping for some ideas!

I finally spoke to Neil today after his 2 weeks off, gave him an update on Harvey & Neil was really happy with his progress. He is booked in to see him next week. In the meantime Neil is happy for me to start letting Harvey jump a little. Now this is the huge huge scary part.. At first it's got to be little to help encourage him & boost his confidence in moving more which is complety fine but I'm so worried and need some ideas of what. This weekend I'm going start laying cushions on the floor & see if he hops happily on & off those, I then need to gradually start increasing depending on how he's doing. I am really struggling with ideas, I can't use a litter tray incase he gets his legs caught on a lip, or a cardboard box as it won't give him very good grip or hold his weight. I have been looking at these little houses about 30cm high but really don't know.

I can't keep hassling the vets as I'm sure they'll block me, but I said id try & think of some things and go back to them if it's okay?

Any thoughts? And thank you so so much everyone for your support xxxx

Thanks ever so much, well at the moment the eye drops are stil going well. These new ones are much more watery, so I'm having to actually pull out his eye lid to collect the liquid, but bless him he's brilliant & will sit & wait whilst I do it!

I finally spoke to Neil today after his 2 weeks off, gave him an update on Harvey & Neil was really happy with his progress. He is booked in to see him next week. In the meantime Neil is happy for me to start letting Harvey jump a little. Now this is the huge huge scary part.. At first it's got to be little to help encourage him & boost his confidence in moving more which is complety fine but I'm so worried and need some ideas of what. This weekend I'm going start laying cushions on the floor & see if he hops happily on & off those, I then need to gradually start increasing depending on how he's doing. I am really struggling with ideas, I can't use a litter tray incase he gets his legs caught on a lip, or a cardboard box as it won't give him very good grip or hold his weight. I have been looking at these little houses about 30cm high but really don't know.

I can't keep hassling the vets as I'm sure they'll block me, but I said id try & think of some things and go back to them if it's okay?

I am glad to hear that Neil is pleased with Harvey's progress so far :) How about building a little 'Gym' for him. For Harvey, not Neil !! :shock: :lol:

You could place a large mat on the floor, then put a few cushions at various places over the mat. Then cover the whole lot with an old duvet cover so he has a sort of 'surface of the moon' area to hope over. All uneven, but soft and with good traction. As his confidence grows and his muscle tone improves you could make the 'mounds' taller.

Lovely to have such a good report Ruth! Is Neil the dishy one??

So, onto Harvey and his rehabilitation ... I would perhaps use cardboard boxes with some of that 'non slip' matting you can get at the Pound shop (I found a big roll the other day in Tiger). It's used under mats to stop them slipping and what I do with my elderlies is I have lowish boxes and put some non slip matting on and then a piece of vet bed. Soft landing!

I love vet bed and find it very versatile. If you don't have any (or very much) then you can use your idea of cushions and cover them with a duvet cover. He may find it difficult to actually 'hop' on something as squishy as a duvet but you could let him try and see how he gets on.

Keep us posted ... And ask more questions if you need to :thumb:

Haha.. No Neil is like in his 50's, absolutely brilliant vet he's been amazing throughout, but it's dishy Danny who's a bit of alright! Lol! ;)

Anyways back to my little man. Thanks so much both, he happily hops around on the carpet and through a fabric tunnel we have, it's encouraging him to take off and get a tiny bit of height I suppose! Even jumping on my lap, he used to do this all the time.. Now he just lies down next to me. So I know he's nervous which of course he's bound to be.

Both are brilliant suggestions! Thanks Jane love the sound of that and whilst it's a nice long weekend we can give it a go so I can be with him at all times. And mightymax, I didn't even think about non slip mats but they are bound to be really useful and needed so I'll try and find some this weekend. Being honest I know im going be such a worrier, but I know it's going be small steps and well see how it goes.

Also I do have some vet bed, it is brilliant stuff, but Harvey took a liking to eating it so had to take it out, but for something to land on this should be perfect.

In himself he's doing brilliantly, just more reliant on his right foot & does alot of crawling but I'm hoping that will all come back in time.

Well I'll give it a go and keep you posted on how it goes! :)

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it. And I'm so sorry if I come across as a moaner & hassling too much.

Thanks xx

Last edited:
Haha.. No Neil is like in his 50's, absolutely brilliant vet he's been amazing throughout, but it's dishy Danny who's a bit of alright! Lol! ;)

Anyways back to my little man. Thanks so much both, he happily hops around on the carpet and through a fabric tunnel we have, it's encouraging him to take off and get a tiny bit of height I suppose! Even jumping on my lap, he used to do this all the time.. Now he just lies down next to me. So I know he's nervous which of course he's bound to be.

Both are brilliant suggestions! Thanks Jane love the sound of that and whilst it's a nice long weekend we can give it a go so I can be with him at all times. And mightymax, I didn't even think about non slip mats but they are bound to be really useful and needed so I'll try and find some this weekend. Being honest I know im going be such a worrier, but I know it's going be small steps and well see how it goes.

In himself he's doing brilliantly, just more reliant on his right foot & does alot of crawling but I'm hoping that will all come back in time.

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it. And I'm so sorry if I come across as a moaner & hassling too much.

Thanks xx

Oi, watch it you, some of us 50 somethings are not dead yet !! :lol:

You dont come across as a moaner at all !! I should know, I have a PHD in Moaning :D

Also I do have some vet bed, it is brilliant stuff, but Harvey took a liking to eating it so had to take it out, but for something to land on this should be perfect.

Thanks xx

Your task for Easter weekend is "How can I be less of a worrier" :lol:

And when you have studied this and discovered the answer ....... POST IT ON HERE!! We all want to know :lol:

Back