• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Basil..kidney failure..but he's on the mend fingers crossed!

I totally feel for you, totally, 100% empathise.

Did Basil have blood tests, to test for anaemia at all? If he does have anaemia, that will account for why he's been so tired. We have this with Ginger.

Whilst im sure you trust your vet, and there is no way i would TELL you to do otherwise, i dont agree with stopping all pellets. I've had this discussion. There are nutrients etc in pellets that he could do with keeping in his system.

Glad he's drinking so much - thats amazingly important - all the time he's drinking loads and loads, he's flushing his system of the toxins that his kidneys can't take out on their own any more :) Thats actually a really good thing. We are on ~1l of water per day now.

Keep an eye on his weight - he may struggle to hold it with kidney issues. Profibre pellets we use to maintain weight. I can't get Gingers weight UP but i can now hold it fairly steady with a mix of foods and the special pellets.

Make sure he doesnt have herbs or greens that are diuretics - eg, dandelions, parsleys and some other weeds/herbs/greens (i'll have to find the link again i was reading, leave it with me...) as you need to NOT remove water from his system forcefully like that.

Does Basil have a friend? It can be helpful, in my mind and my vets that, whilst Ginger has Biscuit, we have early warning signs almost that Gingers going to get bad. Biscuit prods her a lot and seems to chase/nip a little a day or so before she has a 'quiet' day.

I dont know how bad Basil is right now - i hope he still has plenty of time left with you.

I won't profess to know everything, i wont even profess to know anything - i just know what we're doing right now and it seems to be working.

Lacing water with a small amount of freshly squeezed orange juice or apple juice works well, if you want different flavours to tempt him if needs be.

Loads of vibes for your special little man.

Hi and thanks everyone! The good news today is that Basil has drunk a whole bottle of water, which is amazing for him:D I must admit I did take the vets advice and add a little blackcurrant juice. It worked though and at the moment I will try anything to get him drinking properly. They also advised me to encourage him to run about as much possible because this will help his gut to keep moving. He does free range downstairs for most of the day, but he has been really tired recently and just sits and sleeps., but today we had binky's which is also great.
I am keeping him on a diet of hay and herbs as advised. He loves celery and cucumber etc. but these are out as well:(. I also have to wean him off all pellets. He never had many, about 20grams per day, but now we are down to less than 10grams. The plan is to get him off them completely if possible. He won't like it, but if it's going to help him to keep well, it will be worth it. I am not sure really how he will be affected long term with this condition (only one kidney working properly). The vet has advised us to bring him in periodically to be re-assessed, even during times when he appears well. So, I think we will just have to go one day at a time

Thanks so much Graham, so much helpful advice. I have been trying to keep an eye on Ginger's progress as well, such a worrying time and I really feel for you too.

1L of water per day is amazing! Well done! We have been struggling to get an egg cupful into Basil up until today:(

Yes he did have kidney profile and liver function blood tests and also a scan. Luckily the vet decided on these because Basil presented with stasis originally. He did have anaemia, but it wasn't considered critical, although it would certainly explain why he has been sleeping so much.

I am in two minds about the pellets as well. Our vets are very rabbit savvy, but I worry too that Basil might miss out on important nutrients,particularly as he is being quite picky about food at the moment. i.e I haven't seen him eat any hay since 9am this morning. I might compromise and just keep in a small amount. Decisions decisions....

Basil's weight has dropped. Would you mind letting me know which pellets you use and where you get them from? Funnily enough I was advised to feed fresh Dandelion, but I take your point, they are a diurectic. again, something Basil loves as he does Parsley:(

Basil like your bunnies is a housebun, but he is single. We have a dog as well, which he has 'bonded' with (as well as buns can bond with dogs)., but they do sleep next to each other during the day and the dog licks him from time to time. Basil tries to 'groom' the dog :) as well. This is probably not us good as a bun friend. But we think the dog did sense that Basil was ill because she kept looking at him and whining. I am home all day as well. Again probably not compensation for a bunny friend, but Basil has seemed very happy and relaxed with the set-up.

Thanks for all your suggestions Graham, they are very much appreciated. I think we are all open to any ideas when our bunnies are so ill. Such a worrying time.

Sending loads of vibes for Ginger as well.

Last edited:
Thank you :) Ginger's okay, her issue is genetic messiness, we suspect (and vets agree) that this could be since birth. We are managing her well now and we have good control over it all.

Okay, here we go...

Our diet affects BOTH buns. I'm not doing different diets, i can't do that, it doesnt work for us. As Basil is a sole bun (but with bonded 'friends' albeit not rabbits) that should be easier to do diet wise :)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pellets: 10x SS pellets per day
Hay: Unlimited GOOD QUALITY hay. (i can't stress the quality bit enough)
Herbs:5 sprigs of Coriander, 5 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of basil and 2 sprigs of dill.

Now, i call these 'treats' but they are now necessities to keep Ginger's gut going (i have no idea if this is related, but hey...) but again, Biscuit gets these too.

3 apple twigs per day (woody fibre)
20 bramble leaves per day (woody fibre)

Scoop (its about 30) Profibre pellets (Ginger ONLY - we seperate her from Biccy :)() to give these) per every other day - these are those - they are expensive, but i dont care anymore. http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178

Thats about the basis of our diet. Both of them are CRAZY hay eaters now since using good quality hay.

Thanks so much Graham, so much helpful advice. I have been trying to keep an eye on Ginger's progress as well, such a worrying time and I really feel for you too.

1L of water per day is amazing! Well done! We have been struggling to get an egg cupful into Basil up until today:(

Yes he did have kidney profile and liver function blood tests and also a scan. Luckily the vet decided on these because Basil presented with stasis originally. He did have anaemia, but it wasn't considered critical, although it would certainly explain why he has been sleeping so much.

I am in two minds about the pellets as well. Our vets are very rabbit savvy, but I worry too that Basil might miss out on important nutrients,particularly as he is being quite picky about food at the moment. i.e I haven't seen him eat any hay since 9am this morning. I might compromise and just keep in a small amount. Decisions decisions....

Basil's weight has dropped. Would you mind letting me know which pellets you use and where you get them from? Funnily enough I was advised to feed fresh Dandelion, but I take your point, they are a diurectic. again, something Basil loves as he does Parsley:(

Basil like your bunnies is a housebun, but he is single. We have a dog as well, which he has 'bonded' with (as well as buns can bond with dogs)., but they do sleep next to each other during the day and the dog licks him from time to time. Basil tries to 'groom' the dog :) as well. This is probably not us good as a bun friend. But we think the dog did sense that Basil was ill because she kept looking at him and whining. I am home all day as well. Again probably not compensation for a bunny friend, but Basil has seemed very happy and relaxed with the set-up.

Thanks for all your suggestions Graham, they are very much appreciated. I think we are all open to any ideas when our bunnies are so ill. Such a worrying time.

Sending loads of vibes for Ginger as well.

Last edited:
Thank you :) Ginger's okay, her issue is genetic messiness, we suspect (and vets agree) that this could be since birth. We are managing her well now and we have good control over it all.

Okay, here we go...

Our diet affects BOTH buns. I'm not doing different diets, i can't do that, it doesnt work for us. As Basil is a sole bun (but with bonded 'friends' albeit not rabbits) that should be easier to do diet wise :)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pellets: 10x SS pellets per day
Hay: Unlimited GOOD QUALITY hay. (i can't stress the quality bit enough)
Herbs:5 sprigs of Coriander, 5 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of basil and 2 sprigs of dill.

Now, i call these 'treats' but they are now necessities to keep Ginger's gut going (i have no idea if this is related, but hey...) but again, Biscuit gets these too.

3 apple twigs per day (woody fibre)
20 bramble leaves per day (woody fibre)

Scoop (its about 30) Profibre pellets (Ginger ONLY - we seperate her from Biccy :)() to give these) per every other day - these are those - they are expensive, but i dont care anymore. http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178

Thats about the basis of our diet. Both of them are CRAZY hay eaters now since using good quality hay.

Thanks Graham, that is so helpful. I am going to check out that website now. Can't make up my mind how Basil REALLY is at the moment, he has lively bouts but more than normal flops and rests. We are going to really concentrate on the good diet plus extra fluids and keep a watchful eye on him. Many thanks again and so glad Ginger is doing well.

How is Basil this morning?Is it possible for rabbits to have a drug called Forteka,its done wonders for my cat with kidney faliure?

Hello Sarah,
I don't know about Forteka, but it would be worthwhile me asking the vet.:) thanks:) Basil seems ok, he is beginning to eat and drink more, but he is losing weight, which is a worry. I really can't believe how quickly we got to the state, one day he was fine and the next, he went downhill so fast. I worry that it will happen again and that we won't catch it in time. Still, we can only go one day at a time and I am following the vets advice plus the helpful advice I have had here:)

Thanks everyone for the vibes for Basil. He is making a steady recovery and now we just have to concentrate on keeping him well. He is now drinking a full bottle of flavoured water per day which is great for him and he is eating much better. All your great RU vibes have done their magic. Keeping my fingers crossed now that he keeps on improving:)

kidney failure

know how you feel my little girl bunny has just been diagnosed that her kidneys are failing
She has a back problem and is a bit disabled drags herself about ,but has lost lots of weight took her to vets and he did urine test ,showed high protein in herr urine , he said it is just a matter of time , she has had to have pain killers for her back which may have attributed to her kidney problem. Feel so helpless

I'm so glad Basil has stabilised,sending more love and vibes his way and a big hug for you Jane xxxxx

It is so great to have this forum where people are having the same issues and we can share experience. My kidney failure bun, Oliver, has recently started drinking even more water and I wonder if that means his kidneys are getting a wee bit worse. I am giving him a scoop of pro fibre every day too and he put weight on in two weeks, 60g but it was a lot to me!

He is a lone bun but I am hoping to be able to try bonding a four in the next few months. Do you remember Starfish that Honeybunny rescued? I have reserved her and we are waiting till things have settled for HB to arrange getting her here. My plan is - bearing in mind rabbits have different ideas to us - to bond Oliver and Starfish then try and bond them with my existing pair. That way, Oliver will have the chance to have rabbit company without the problem of leaving a single rabbit behind.

How is Basil this morning?Is it possible for rabbits to have a drug called Forteka,its done wonders for my cat with kidney faliure?

Yes, it is :)

parsnipbun's viola rose rest her soul was on it.

Ginger may, depending on what i decide after hearing back from vets.

So glad Basil is feeling himself.

Hello everyone, thanks for all your good wishes. I am so sorry suzylucy to hear about your little bun:(

Just a progress report on Basil. Well, he seems to be doing ok. His appetite is moreorless back to normal and he is drinking quite well. We have had a few days when we thought he might be going down a little, but then he picked up again. I know this is going to be an ongoing thing and we have to give regular progress reports to our vet, because his weight has dropped quite a bit. Have got Basil back on garden weeds/herbs again now. I am managing to collect a big handful everyday and he loves them -I do think this is helping him. He's had no carrot, cucumber or celery since his last scare, so hoping to keep them out of his diet in the future. I will soon start to dry the excess garden herbs etc and hopefuly get enough to keep him going through next winter.

Last edited:
Hi susie bun:wave: He loves good old Dandelion, which I used to pull up but now leave to grow and also plantain. He also likes bramble, redcurrant, strawberry, apple & rose leaves. Herbs he loves are Thyme, Mint Lemon Balm, Salad Burnet, Chamomile, Basil (of course:)) Coriander, Marjoram, Lavender and Parsley. He HATES Sage! Oh and he particularly likes Calendula in the summer:)

Last edited:
Well he certainly has a good range of likes, which is excellent. Don't tell him, and please don't take offence, but Spenser wasn't at all pleased when I tried him with basil leaves last summer. He wouldn't eat ANYTHING unitl I had removed the offfending leaves from the hutch. :roll: He has recently started getting some fresh dandelion, but will only eat the leaves. I hope your garden flourishes for young Basil and helps him to keep well.

Back