• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Basil..kidney failure..but he's on the mend fingers crossed!

Hi everyone thanks for all the vibes for Basil. x We both really appreciate it. x x

Hi Sarah Basil seems a little better today, I managed to get some fluids into him last night, but not as much as I would have liked and I've finally managed to get a urine sample for analysis, but what a struggle. I am so hoping that he will soon start eating normally, he is having a bit here and there but doesn't have his usual appetite. The vet is going to do the relevant tests now to see if there is definate problem with his kidney. I am so hoping that it is just somethng to do with the stasis he's had. It's like walking on a knife edge, one minute up and the next down. I had to use a special litter from the vet in his tray so that I could collect the sample and even that upset him because it wasn't his usual hay etc. and made a noise when he got in the tray. So he refused to get in the tray for hours and I eventually gave in and put his usual litter back in because I didn't want him to have another relapse. Having said that he hasn't moved for the last three hours, but I think he is just tired with all the meds. and pulling about.:( xx

Hello Jane,has your vet managed to do the test?I really hope its nothing serious xxxxxHow is Basil today?Its such a worry when our animals are ill,sending more vibes and hugs your way

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the continued vibes. Having a bit of a stressful time with poor Basil at the moment. His gut seems to be working ok now and he is eating much better, but unfortunately the kidney tests do reveal a problem which is nothing to do with the stasis. One kidney is not working properly and the vet has carried out further tests yesterday, which we still have to get the results for. Meanwhile it's nothing but hay and herbs for Bas, no treats or extra veggies:( We should hear more on Monday and hopefully how we can treat this problem. So hoping it won't be meds. forever:(

Hi, just updated on poor little Basil. The results of the tests show that he has one damaged kidney which caused him to have kidney failure last week:cry::cry: and then stasis, because of the pain he was in. The vet says further treatment will be likely in the future (he's so full of meds) but for now they are going to try and control it with diet and we have to get as much fluid into him as we can. He will NOT drink plain water from a bowl or bottle and I am having to saturate his herbs to get in extra fluids. Also they have told me I can put the smallest amount of ordinary Ribena in his bottle to try and tempt him.

I could :cry: if it wasn't for the fact that he is now starting to return to his usual rascally self. He even managed to teethy the cable to the fridge, which then went with a loud bang. Fortunately it's on RCD and tripped before 'Bassie' went with it:shock::shock: He emerged from behind it like a rocket but thankfully in one piece. He's currently on the rug infront of the fire stretched out like a little dog. :roll:

I've only just seen this. Sending Basil lots of vibes, I hope the meds can help.

You could put a bit of freshly squeezed pineapple juice in some water to try to temp him too (this is what I do when poorly or during a moult). I also add a dash of boiling ot make it tepid and mine seem to prefer it like this.

I think someone else has mentioned pineapple juice, thanks for the tip bunny babe. He hasn't taken any fluids yet today ....even with t

he Ribena in:( I will try anything.

Last edited:
I had problems with my buns refusing to drink when they came back from their spays, in the end I had to squeeze a little bit into their mouths being careful to avoid the nose, and just generally annoying them by putting it at their mouth squeezing a bit out. They'd go to shove it away and forget and have a little drink aswell :lol: it took a lot of time but they got there in the end!

Hope Basil improves soon xxx :)

I am sorry to hear your problems with Basil. I hope he is perking up now and drinking well. I have a foster bun whom I have adopted today and he also has kidney problems. It has been decided that we will let him continue to regulate his own fluids, monitor his diet and keep him happy. We have no idea of his age or what else may be wrong with him but when I see other rabbits with similar issues I like to see how others are managing things.

I hope some of the tips help with getting Basil to drink. So sorry to hear of his kidney problems, sending more vibes. Good to hear he is getting back to his normal self, even if it does mean being naughty :D

Hi and thanks everyone! The good news today is that Basil has drunk a whole bottle of water, which is amazing for him:D I must admit I did take the vets advice and add a little blackcurrant juice. It worked though and at the moment I will try anything to get him drinking properly. They also advised me to encourage him to run about as much possible because this will help his gut to keep moving. He does free range downstairs for most of the day, but he has been really tired recently and just sits and sleeps., but today we had binky's which is also great.
I am keeping him on a diet of hay and herbs as advised. He loves celery and cucumber etc. but these are out as well:(. I also have to wean him off all pellets. He never had many, about 20grams per day, but now we are down to less than 10grams. The plan is to get him off them completely if possible. He won't like it, but if it's going to help him to keep well, it will be worth it. I am not sure really how he will be affected long term with this condition (only one kidney working properly). The vet has advised us to bring him in periodically to be re-assessed, even during times when he appears well. So, I think we will just have to go one day at a time

Back