• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unwell rabbit and eye discharge - advice needed

tommyg

New Kit
hello wondered if anyone could offer me advice.
recently our rabbit got ill. it started off with him eating less and less each day and spending more time sleeping under the table. first day we put it down to an off day. day 2 although lethargic, he ate enough and there were bowel movements. on day 3 we noticed the fur below his eye wet and he didnt want breakfast so we took him to the vets. the vet found nothing obvious wrong with him and told me to watch him day to day and return if he gets worse. he was given a gut stimulant and this prompted him appetite and the next few days continued with him eating less than the day before until we noticed his poop had decreased in size. so off back to the vets he went and was given a 10 day course of baytril oral suspension as he had a high temperature this time. he slowly picked up but wasnt back to normal and once the meds finished his eye suddenly started weeping more. so the vet gave us more baytril along with fucithalmic eye cream. this cleared him right up and he got back to his normal mischievous self. now 2 days after these finished his eye has started weeping again. ive just put the eye cream in his eye again (as this is far easier than administering oral suspension to him) and i'll know in a day or 2 if this alone helps.
he is 9 now which is why the vet doesn't want to investigate too much (xrays, bloods etc as he is a big boy and would prob need anaesthetic) although he did take a good look into his mouth and said there were tiny spurs on one side but he highly doubts this alone is causing the problem. we agree as he is eating his normal amount again now which consists of veggies, nuggets and hay and he doesnt seem to have any problems eating hard or soft things.
he never appeared to be in pain or at least he would never grind his teeth.
i dont mind if we have to administer the eye cream indefinitely as its not a problem but cant deal (as a family emotionally) when he doesnt eat or play.
really appreciate advice from anyone whos had similar problems.

I'm no expert but I would say that without an xray I don't know how they can say they are 100% sure it's not dental, I think the roots of the teeth go right up near to the eye hence why dental problems can cause eye problems.
I'm not really sure of other causes of a unilateral runny eye but I'm sure someone else on here will post better advice!

Did the Vet attempt to flush out the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) ? Sometimes this can become blocked with a plug of pus which causes the constant discharge.

Did the Vet check for corneal ulceration by putting a dye into the eye which will show up any ulcerated areas ?

thanks for your replies. the only teeth check that was carried out was with a sort of telescope in the mouth. although this was as thorough as it could be it obviously this doesnt check roots and at the time were under the assumption it cannot be ruled out, but as he is back to eating properly it wasn't causing the immediate problem of not eating. now as it seems there is something further wrong with the eye (we'll know day by day if eating habits change again) we need to know possible problems and what is involved with tests. as i said before, anything that requires a GA is really out of the question unless an emergency.

sun city girl, before i posted here i read about tooth rot. do you think they would allow me to hold him in place on a surface while he is xrayed? i would rather take the risk myself than put him under

jacks jane, no he didnt try and flush his eye or any other test. at first, he was treated as a virus and the treatment has (from appearance) made him better. the eye drops made a difference straight away. i forgot to say in first post, not sure if this makes a difference, he has ultra fine fur and the discharge from his eye, although looks clear, made a tiny patch of fur under the eye fall out. by day 6 of 7 on the eye drops and this had started to regrow which to us showed sign of a cure. can you tell me more about these tests?

just to add i will be speaking with the vet today and from experience i would say he is a good vet, but i dont know how much actual experience he has with rabbits so on here for advice incase the vet suggests something and there is something raised here that is easier to test for or try first. i'm sure you all understand we all want whats best for our pets especially when they have been part of a growing family for so long.

I think some vets will do conscious xrays, although I don't know how they work as Bun has not needed one.
As for other tests I think what Jane said is a good place to start. I used to have a rabbit that needed one of his tear ducts flushing quite regularly. Also if they have some fluorescein (eye dye) which I imagine they do I can't see why them looking for any surface abnormalities on the eye would be a problem or difficult procedure especially as your rabbit has gotten used to the fucilthalmic drops.

thanks again. i wasn't sure if the tests were as simple as they sound. once he has a firm grip like mine on him he surrenders for the vet :lol:

Sorry to hear your bun hasn't been well. Getting the dye put into the eye to check for ulceration isn't a difficult procedure. It just involves a couple of drops in each eye, wait a few minutes, then the vet checks the eyes.

thanks again for your replies. will look through those links when i get in from work. the vet said to continue with the eye drops. didnt actually get to speak with him but his secretary so dont know if he has even considered other options. i guess go another week and see what happens. eye infection/blocked duct we can deal with. so long as it isnt a sign of something serious/life threatening. your help has been valuable.

Back