• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

Oh my, this thread has become way to racy for me!!:oops::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Poppymoon & I have a few things in common, particularly the relationship we have with our buns although they are very different in temperament, & a slightly naughty sense of humour.
I have to keep it under wraps on here, cos you folks can't see my facial expression. We're just having a bit of irresistable devilment together! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Poppymoon & I have a few things in common, particularly the relationship we have with our buns although they are very different in temperament, & a slightly naughty sense of humour.
I have to keep it under wraps on here, cos you folks can't see my facial expression. We're just having a bit of irresistable devilment together! :lol:

:shock: thought i'd get the blame!!:lol:

think i could do with some o them magic leaves you use on thumper - seems i have a gut imbalance:evil: really don't need a cottontail though - i'm in way too much pain for that:D

hope you and the gorgeous boy are both well? xx

:shock: thought i'd get the blame!!:lol:

think i could do with some o them magic leaves you use on thumper - seems i have a gut imbalance:evil: really don't need a cottontail though - i'm in way too much pain for that:D

hope you and the gorgeous boy are both well? xx

It was 6 of one & 1/2 dozen of the other! :lol: Completely irresistable!:lol:

No poppymoon you definitely do NOT want some of Thumper's leaves.
I did a bit of "original research" on an infusion made from them, to see if there was a high tannin content.
Sample 1 was to be neat, & sample 2 to have a good dash of milk to bind the tannins.

Sample 1 was so astringent my mouth was dry as a parrot's cage for 4 days.:shock: It was a week before I was normal enough to try sample 2 which was somewhat better, but my memmory was too bad to draw a true comparison. :( :oops: :lol:

I'll drop you a pm. The way we did research into "dysbiosis" in humans with IBS is FAR too racy for RU! However I can reassure you that all was done on humans, & as usual, the junior doctors were used as healthy, cost effective (free) control subjects! :lol:

Thumper would agree with your last comment. I'm always relieved when he takes an interest in Cottontail again = tummy ache has gone.

He's really good mentally, & eager for play (mostly running around type + elastic pinging) tonight.:D:D:D:D:D Wastes are bigger. Grief, we're about 1/2 way round to his next dental already.:shock:

Hi Binky bun :wave:
Thumper's doing really well thank you & we've had a longer stretch than usual.
I see him eating caecals daily. :) There are only occasional caecs with his wastes & they have been formed!
His wastes are bigger & well separated for him.
Best of all is his mental alertness, & he's a bit faster when he plays.
He'll always fluctuate quite a bit, & of course his dentals will always cause fluctuations.

It's like a miracle to me, when I think that last summer I didn't think he'd make it to his 5th. gottcha day on Oct.10th. Then I didn't expect I'd get him onto a dry diet with his fluid issues. It's amazing that we've got to 2010! :D:D:D:D

I see him eating caecals daily. :) There are only occasional caecs with his wastes & they have been formed!
He'll always fluctuate quite a bit, & of course his dentals will always cause fluctuations.

It's like a miracle to me, when I think that last summer I didn't think he'd make it to his 5th. gottcha day on Oct.10th. Then I didn't expect I'd get him onto a dry diet with his fluid issues. It's amazing that we've got to 2010! :D:D:D:D

Just wonderful to hear this update on Thumper! You guys have such an incredible bond....its beautiful! Well done Judy for your love & care of this gorgeous Thumper! Keep pooping Thumper!:wave:

good boy thumper! Keep mummy on her toes with lots of playing! X x
And Judy, you've actually made it to 2011 ;)

good boy thumper! Keep mummy on her toes with lots of playing! X x
And Judy, you've actually made it to 2011 ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh my!! you know, I can't even say it was a typing error! :oops::oops: "Get brain into gear woman, or you'll end up in the ---"

This is such lovely news :D:wave: I'm so sorry i've been a bit out of touch Judy, but it's lovely to read that Thumps is having a good stretch at the moment and making lots of progress tummywise and physically too by the sounds of things. You are both doing so well.... you know it's almost Spring and all those lovely wild plants will start appearing soon :D:D Just keep on hanging in there and i'm certain Thumps will have a really positive Spring/Summer this year. :love: Thinking of you both xx

I'm delighted that Thumper is doing so well. Not only has he made it to 2011 but he's made it to page 100 of his thread. Here's to the next 100 pages :D

It gets even better than that folks! :D
I gradually surfaced to conciousness at 8.30 to the sound of Thumper scampering! :shock::D:D
He used to run around the room to tell me it's well time to get up, but hasn't done so for over a year. I'm amazed that he still knows our latest getting up time!
He's been eating much more too, so I've had to start buying in food. I was going to wait until after his next dental to try reintroducing grass but will have to start now I think.

He's been putting on weight over Autumn. I think 3.5Kgm at the last weigh in. Difficult to know how much is poops inside!! So he eats more than most buns cos of his size!!!

ETA Lilbun, when I started this thread I knew that his prognosis was very poor; I thought about 2 months. Because Domperidone is so new for rabbits I wanted an accurate record to help others. Feeding him natural wild plants has been another unusual aspect of his care.
I think that his progress has far exceeded anyone's expectations. To reach page 100 & 2011 is way beyond my wildest dreams. :D

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone. You've meant so much to me hanging on in there through thick & thin. So many of you helped by sending us dried plants. There's been Maizey over the 'phone too. I wish I could have a party for us all.

I've a confession. He was on such good form last night, & he's so good about going to bed however he feels, I stayed up with him all night.:lol:
The grass isn't good enough yet (- still got lots of yellow in it), so I got him some special hays, spread out thinly. Maybe we'll even have another miracle! :lol:

Can't believe Thumps is feeling well enough to be scampering around and telling you it's time to get up :lol::lol::lol: This news has cheered me up no end :love::love::love:

Just wait until he gets the spring fever :roll: :lol::lol:

Can't believe Thumps is feeling well enough to be scampering around and telling you it's time to get up :lol::lol::lol: This news has cheered me up no end :love::love::love:

Just wait until he gets the spring fever :roll: :lol::lol:

Erm, for Thumper it's spring all the year round, but he still tends to run out of amunition rather fast.:lol:

Back