• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

Awww bless you Maizey; & how would I have got through without your 'phone calls? It works both ways.:) Alot of folk on RU have been so generous to us in many ways, & I've been well cared for by a fantastic vet.

Thumper has a further story behind him, of changing 2 peoples lives completely, of astounding people who don't know about rabbits, & changing the way they understand them for the better. I can hardly believe it myself, shake my head & say, "Blimey he's a rabbitfor heaven's sake. How can a rabbit......?".
I'm just translating what he & Marie have taught me. (Sorry when I get it wrong) I'm delighted that it helps others, but in a way that's what his whole life has been about.

It's when he lies up, eyes 1/2 closed, with no interest in anything through the whole day that I worry. I can't describe it, I just know him, & I know he's never made a fuss, even when he must have felt rotten.

I can fully understand that cos that's what Smudge was like yesterday. He has refused greens in the past before when he's had a strop but yesterday he just wasn't right, I could just tell.

Glad little one is still going steady and has got over his bad patch. :)

I am so pleased Thumper is showing signs of improvement. I find it so amazing how he practices self-diagnosis and lets you know that diagnosis. It's good to see you are also getting some rest.

I love the picture of him eating and dozing.:love:

Attempting to answer a question posed earlier about the plural form of caecum.

Latin borrowed it from the Greek meaning either one-eyed or in Latin blind, a fair description of the caecum. It belongs to the second declension of nouns so the plural is caeca. However, that only applies to the neuter gender. The nominative masculine singular is caecus and the feminine caeca and the plural caecī and caecae respectively.:roll:

Now that was something we all wanted to know wasn't it.:lol:

I am so pleased Thumper is showing signs of improvement. I find it so amazing how he practices self-diagnosis and lets you know that diagnosis. It's good to see you are also getting some rest.

I love the picture of him eating and dozing.:love:

Attempting to answer a question posed earlier about the plural form of caecum.

Latin borrowed it from the Greek meaning either one-eyed or in Latin blind, a fair description of the caecum. It belongs to the second declension of nouns so the plural is caeca. However, that only applies to the neuter gender. The nominative masculine singular is caecus and the feminine caeca and the plural caecī and caecae respectively.:roll:

Now that was something we all wanted to know wasn't it.:lol:

Took me straight back to sitting in Latin classes there Lobo! :shock::lol:

I enjoyed the trip back to Latin,. Thank you Lobo. :) Yes I did want to know about it, & although I'm not much good at translation now, it helps a lot in giving meaning to medical, & botanical terms, as well as my other interest of ancient history.
I've sometimes thought that some of Thumper's caecal issues, present similar problems to "blind loop sydrome" in humans, (a complication of an old type of operation on the stomach).

Thumper fascinates me also by how he knows what he needs, & his efforts to communicate them to me.

He's feeling well this morning. There's an immediate ear movement when I speak, bright wide open eyes, he's communicative, & his coat is amazingly soft & glossy. He's well hydrated, his dry poops are rounder & caec material stiffer. There aren't many poops, but enough. I'm perplexed where all his food is going to, & toured his hidey places for a hidden "nest" of poops but no.
He's too well in himself for me to be worried.

Summary - poops a mess, & bunny on top of the world. I'm going by the bunny, & keeping a watchful eye.:)

ETA Just checked a waste poop & there's a bit more fiber in it. Yayyyy :D

Last edited:
I think I've discovered the mystery of why there are fewer poops.
He's under the bed where I can't see him, recycling away, far more than normal caecs! :lol:
He hasn't wanted his domperidone since his dental either. 1 to rabbit - 0 to human! We're getting there.:)

So glad Thumper is perkier and you've found his secret stash of poopies xx:love:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!

It was funnier than that Binkybun. Thumper wasn't letting them even hit the ground. He'd got fed up of me cleaning up edible runnies & hid under the bed to eat them in peace!

Today has been wonderful. I've had a little dark shadow with big ears following me everywhere, always ready for a token run round. He's started to answer me again with either a grunt or a thump when I ask what he'd like.
He's chinning his special spots again - I don't think he'll ever learn that he can't chin the corner of the tablecloth.

He's done lots of front end binkies, clapping his ears together too.
Poops are firming up, he's drunk well, & eaten well.
Yea, it'll be a bit tricky getting the dose of his domperidone right, but we'll get there eventually.:D:D

I never expected this!

Happy New Year hope its a good year for both of you and you receive lots more healthy poopies xxx

I love watching mine chin things. The nicest was when Darcy chins my knee when I'm on the floor with them :love:

Yaaaay we've got fiber separation folks. :D

I felt that his gut was a bit too slow, with scant, tiny, brick hard poops, & his appetite was a bit down. He's very much a poops out - food in bunny, so if his poop output falls so does food intake. Halving the dose of domperidone must have been a bit of a shock, but it was important to stop the runs!
ETA he's still drinking too.
I tentatively increased domperidone to 1.3 ml tonight, at 5.30 pm.

He continues well, very responsive, & continues to chin his presence in the house. He's been up & down stairs x5 this evening.

I'm especially grateful for Lilbun's gift of raspberry leaves which he tucked into last night, increasing his fiber intake.
I'm very hopeful indeed that it's just a matter of both of us learning to handle the improvement in his gut function. I'm going to give a small amount of green hay a try again.:D

Great news :D

Glad Lilbun's raspberry leaves saved the day! Hope he continues to go from strength to strength this week. :) x

Yes thank you folks. It's looking OK today too.
He's drunk well. :D:D:D
There are a lot of wastes well separated, but very small, about 1/2 his normal size. The only uneaten caec was unformed but not runny.
I'm going to hold tight, & see how this settles out, as he continues to be much more alert.

Your plantains with their stalks have come in useful too PL. They're in his "help yourself box" He's certainly chewing them, but I'm not too sure how much he's eating.

I'm only just beginning to grasp about bunnies "hiding illness". To me, there are massive changes in his behaviour at home, but TBH he's always much the same at the vets & puts up his usual resistance.

At home he stays in the bedroom (his safe place) when he's poorly, stops chin scenting (I'm not here) & scrabbling the bathroom rug underneath him = contributing to the communal territory latrine. It's almost as if the bedroom is his "burrow". Well I guess we both sleep there!

I'm glad Thumps enjoyed his leaves and is feeling better.. When dried the raspberry leaves have a melt-in-the-mouth crisp quality which I guess is easier for a dental bun to manage. I'll try to save a few more for drying this year :)

Thank you so much Lilbun.
I'd started new boxes of attic dried plantains just before his dental. They preserve well, but aren't as dry as heat dried plants.
A hair drier crisps them up beautifully, & he ate better today.

He's also eaten a lot of the stalks in the plantains PL sent me. I'm off in search of nettle stems, as a source of pure fiber, which can be dried to chew easily. There are certainly plenty of nettles!!!! My gut feeling is that he needs more fiber. I'm wondering why he's got problems chewing.

No uneaten caecs today, & poops a bit bigger.:D

Thank you for reminding me of another aspect of dental spurs - root elongation. I'd be very surprised if he's got root abcesses in the jaw because he likes me to stroke his jaw line quite firmly.
I am wondering whether like humans, simple pressure on cortical bone is very painful for bunnies.
His last XR was about a year ago.

Glad his poops are getting bigger. Thats good news. Sorry I don't have the knowledge to give any advice or suggestions. But am sending vibes for little Thumps. xxxx

Back