• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Un-neatured male has bloody urine and eggs in his fur

May I suggest you look into getting insurance for your bunny? It can cost as little as £7 per month and would remove the chances of you ever being in that situation again. Cover varies but most are between £1,500 per year and £2,000 per year.

I don't wish to scare you, but one of my bunnies managed to rack up vets bills of £3,500 in the 14 months she was with me. I adopted her thinking she had no issues (it wasn't the rescues fault at all, her issues didn't start to present themselves until around 4 months after I adopted her). The insurance covered it all bar the two £45 exchess charges (luckily the cover renewed at just the right time as yearly cover was £2,000 on that policy!)

Hi everyone
I went down to pets at home this morning which is closer than Calder and they are having free check ups (phew) so my parents have nothing to complain about :) I'm going to take him there in just under an hour.
I checked his fur, he still has the white stuff there but he didn't seem distressed and started following me as usual even to the carrier I bought earlier on:). Still, I understand there may be something wrong but I feel assured as a vet is going to see him very soon
I'll update if there is any problems and if something happens.
Also just want to say thanks for everyone's advise, I don't know what I would have done without it x
(If I'm not very fluent it's because I'm on my phone)

Good news, and thank you for your PM ...

Let us know how it went when you get back! x

Well, I got back from the vets awhile ago and there isn't anything living on his fur yay! It was just dandruff.

But with the red urine, I got a sample kit to use so I can find out whether it is blood or just discolouration. It may be a problem if it was blood but it probably won't be which is good so nothing major.

And finally, he checked out his teeth and found out his molars were slightly over grown so looks like he's going to get more greens and be encouraged to eat more hay to wear them down again.

So yeah, I couldn't get transportation to the vets because everyone was out today so walking there was pretty stressful with the noise but I think he's forgiven me now:oops: but I'm glad there's no serious problems and he's happy again!

Well, I got back from the vets awhile ago and there isn't anything living on his fur yay! It was just dandruff.

But with the red urine, I got a sample kit to use so I can find out whether it is blood or just discolouration. It may be a problem if it was blood but it probably won't be which is good so nothing major.

And finally, he checked out his teeth and found out his molars were slightly over grown so looks like he's going to get more greens and be encouraged to eat more hay to wear them down again.

So yeah, I couldn't get transportation to the vets because everyone was out today so walking there was pretty stressful with the noise but I think he's forgiven me now:oops: but I'm glad there's no serious problems and he's happy again!

I'm so pleased your bunny has an owner who will travel through thick and thin for him!

How long was your walk?

I hope your parents don't complain about the cost annual booster vaccination.
I'm afraid that some people think that rabbits are 'cheap' pets. They are not, if they are to have the correct housing, hay, veg and pellets, vaccinations and regular check ups.

Yeah, I don't think they mind about the cost of things to care for him properly because we can definitely afford it but they glimpse at him, realise he can move around and whatnot and think he is perfectly healthy..which isn't always true.
He went to the vet years ago and she said he was healthy and he just got a nail trim but it cost £40 to trim his nails so they got irked. Sigh.
But I suppose they'll have to get used to him going for more regular check ups especially considering he's older so more problems are likely to arise

May I suggest you look into getting insurance for your bunny? It can cost as little as £7 per month and would remove the chances of you ever being in that situation again. Cover varies but most are between £1,500 per year and £2,000 per year.

I don't wish to scare you, but one of my bunnies managed to rack up vets bills of £3,500 in the 14 months she was with me. I adopted her thinking she had no issues (it wasn't the rescues fault at all, her issues didn't start to present themselves until around 4 months after I adopted her). The insurance covered it all bar the two £45 exchess charges (luckily the cover renewed at just the right time as yearly cover was £2,000 on that policy!)

Oh wow, £3,500 is a lottt. I'll definitely look around my local vets at insurance, because like I said before, he is getting older so his health may get worse later on :( Although with saying that, I'm glad the vet said he is pretty healthy now which is good.
But yeah, it would definitely be a good idea to look around now and get his regular check ups so if there is something, it can be caught early on. I can't imagine what would have happened if there were fly larvae inside of his body, that would be awful for him :( but also with no insurance...yikes.

I'm so pleased your bunny has an owner who will travel through thick and thin for him!

How long was your walk?

Of course :) it was worth it though. It took about 10-15 there and maybe 20 back. Walking down the hill was fairly easy but walking up was pretty tiring haha.

Glad you've been to the vets and put your mind at rest... well done for making such an effort to get there
I said that's why he was probably itching.... thankfully its easy sorted.
Lots of hay for the teeth :thumb:

Pleased you took your bunny to a Vet. You mention dandruff - this is usually caused by a mite, so if it doesn't go away he will need an injection of Ivermectin which isn't expensive. If it isn't treated it will feel uncomfortable and itchy and will only get worse.

Of course :) it was worth it though. It took about 10-15 there and maybe 20 back. Walking down the hill was fairly easy but walking up was pretty tiring haha.

Ah I did that with one of mine once also. She was very heavy (about 4/5 kg) so I put her in a rucksack worn by me on my front with the top open for air. When I got to the vet he needed to keep her in, so he took away my rucksack and put a label on it :shock: Derr.. she walked straight out of it!

Glad you've been to the vets and put your mind at rest... well done for making such an effort to get there
I said that's why he was probably itching.... thankfully its easy sorted.
Lots of hay for the teeth :thumb:

Yeah, I feel a lot better now and thank you :)
Come to think of it, that was probably why he was itching but he doesn't seem too itchy now which is good.

Pleased you took your bunny to a Vet. You mention dandruff - this is usually caused by a mite, so if it doesn't go away he will need an injection of Ivermectin which isn't expensive. If it isn't treated it will feel uncomfortable and itchy and will only get worse.

Me too!
I'm glad it can easily be sorted out. I'll make sure the dandruff goes away but if it doesn't then I'll take him back for another visit and give him the shot like you say.:)

Ah I did that with one of mine once also. She was very heavy (about 4/5 kg) so I put her in a rucksack worn by me on my front with the top open for air. When I got to the vet he needed to keep her in, so he took away my rucksack and put a label on it :shock: Derr.. she walked straight out of it!

Well that's a unique travel arrangement!:lol:
I bought one of the cardboard carriers from the store but it got wet easily and started to go soggy but it wasn't too much of a problem
And oh my gosh haha I can just picture that in my head:lol:

I just wish people wouldn't dive on a new member quoting the worst scenario and insisit on vets, quoting laws on the responsibility of parents where animals are concerned.
You are obviously a very responsible and vigilant bunny owner.... your bunny is lucky to have you
Hope you get these issues sorted and you keep posting xx

I just wish people wouldn't dive on a new member quoting the worst scenario and insisit on vets, quoting laws on the responsibility of parents where animals are concerned.
You are obviously a very responsible and vigilant bunny owner.... your bunny is lucky to have you
Hope you get these issues sorted and you keep posting xx

I posted as I did because to me it sounded as though it could be Flystrike (yellow eggs) and I thought it was better to err on the side of caution.

I'm so pleased you got him to the vets and well done to you for going above and beyond to get him there. Hopefully your parents will see how devoted you are to him and be more willing to help if you need it again.
I understand why people replied the way they did as it could well have been serious and it is aways better to ere on the side of caution when it comes to these sorts of things.
hope your bunny is feeling much better soon xx

He/She is a very responsible owner who went above and behond to get bunny seen to dispite been a minor. But what is the alternative to telling the truth and stating facts? For us not to push the truth and possible worst case scenarios and just gave it a relaxed attitude of "yeah its proably dandruff but just get rabbit to a vet next time your passing" and it turn to be flystrike ect...could result in dead bunny because we didnt react enough...always err on side of caution.

Well that's a unique travel arrangement!:lol:
I bought one of the cardboard carriers from the store but it got wet easily and started to go soggy but it wasn't too much of a problem
And oh my gosh haha I can just picture that in my head:lol:

Several years ago, I only owned one pet carrier, and I had to take two bunnies to the vet one the same day. The bunnies would not fit in the same carrier, so I put the one bunny in a picnic cooler (I did not latch it and put a stick between the sides to let in air before tying it shut). I disinfected the cooler when I got it home. When I bought a pet carrier that opened from the side or top, I kept the old one.

He/She is a very responsible owner who went above and behond to get bunny seen to dispite been a minor. But what is the alternative to telling the truth and stating facts? For us not to push the truth and possible worst case scenarios and just gave it a relaxed attitude of "yeah its proably dandruff but just get rabbit to a vet next time your passing" and it turn to be flystrike ect...could result in dead bunny because we didnt react enough...always err on side of caution.

Giving advice on a forum is always difficult when we cant actually see the bunny.... so yes, if in doubt err on the side of caution.... The op came on here for advice and even posted pics, which showed there was nothing but mites / dandruff on her bunny and she was just being a super observant owner looking for some re assurance....

Giving advice on a forum is always difficult when we cant actually see the bunny.... so yes, if in doubt err on the side of caution.... The op came on here for advice and even posted pics, which showed there was nothing but mites / dandruff on her bunny and she was just being a super observant owner looking for some re assurance....

She was but before the pics came what she said did sound like flystrike. She sounds a great owner and full marksbfor been super cautious and seeking advice but I think mum n dad need to back her up a bit as she already said there attitude is if bunnies moving hes fine.... :-/ So glad it wasnt flystrike though x

Back