• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-bondable Mini Rex Buck - when to give up?

Hi all,
I bought a trio of mini rex siblings (two boys and a girl) and they were great for a while but the bond broke a couple of times and it seemed like it wasn't going to work long term. I wish I'd known then what I know now about boy-boy-girl being problematic! The girl got on with both boys and in the end I had to pick one for her to bond with as trying to re-bond the trio was putting a strain on everyone. I've spent a year nagging my local rescue for a single doe for my single buck. So far he's has 3 failed bonds. The last was disheartening because the bond seemed to work at the shelter (although half-hearted and not much grooming). When they came back they were fighting within the day. I paid for a re-bond for a whole week. They came back and within about 7 days they were fighting again, so I had to return the girl which was awful and she was absolutely beautiful (it was conditional on the bond working). Should I give up? I worry about my boy being lonely and he's prone to anxiety and gut stasis when anything spooks him. It seems like he's not bond-able but I keep reading how bad it is for them to be on their own. Any advice gratefully received, Thanks.

When you brought the boy and his new friend back home, were they close to your other Rabbits? How old are they now?

Back