• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Triple hutch

DeeAisha

Young Bun
I've just been looking at a triple hutch someone below linked through to - it seems a good price. The coop I have the boys really isn't big enough, even extended, and I'm kicking myself now for buying it.

Anyway. Triple hutch - 6' x 2' each layer - makes 36' of living space in the hutch. Would this be enough space for them in the winter if I couldn't let them have any run/free range time?

At the moment, I open the door of their coop at 7am and close it at 10pm when they come in for their supper, so the size of the coop doesn't matter in the slightest. We don't have any cats in our garden, thanks to the dog, and there's loads of cover from birds of prey and the like. I know it's a risk, but I consider it to be a small one when the upside is seeing them bumbling about happily.

But this is summer. Thinking ahead to winter, I think they're going to be utterly miserable in their hutch. The bedroom bit is tiny - it's a chicken coop - and it's the only bit raised off the ground so stays dry in the rain (the coop is covered but the floor gets wet anyway in the rain). Come rainy weather they're going to have less space than the hutch I rescued them from.

This wasn't the plan :?.

I have it in my head that a triple hutch - or indeed double hutches - are compromised because of the amount of space the hole to the lower ground takes up. Is this true?

I'd be able to extend the ground floor run part of the hutch by an extra 4', so they'd have access to 10' x 2' run all the time, and the two upper hutch levels. And obviously if it's a decent day I'll let them out to free range.

Thoughts?

D x

I would have to say. No "hutch" would usually be big enough for them to not get out into a run/ free range every day. Excersize is very important:)
they need to get out into a run everyday to run around properly

Would the bottom 10' x 2' not count as a run?

I know the ideal - a 6' x 2' x 2' hutch with a 6' x 4' run. My suggestion above would basically be a double 6' x 2' x 2' hutch with a 10' x 2' run. I'd still let them free range whenever possible, but the days are shorter in winter and less pleasant to be outside in. Their inside, dry, warm options need improving.

And while I'm here, I may as well ask - on really cold nights in winter I'm planning on moving them into the outhouse in a dog crate. Just overnight. I can insulate it with blankets and carpet and fill it with straw and hay. But obviously they'll be shut into it all night and it's way under RSPCA guidelines for space. I can't decide what's worse for them - being outside in the cold, or inside with less space.

D x

Sorry i didnt see the run bit:lol:
sounds fine to me. On cold nights i would just give them tons of hay and maybe you could get them a snuggle safe or something. They are usually fine:)

Cool - thank you.

Now how to persuade other half that we need to fork out £160 for another rabbit hutch, two months after spending £150. Any bright ideas?!

D x

Back