• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio?

Personally I would wait until you have a single bun. If anything went wrong you could break B and Gs existing bond which would be very sad. Bonding two is generally easier than bonding three especially putting one into an existing bond

When Smokey was terminal I never considered adding another bun, he was far too ill to add any extra stress. No matter how you bond and how easy it seems there will always be chasing and a level of stress involved. I would wait and rebond as soon as you feel able after. I sincerely hope it is not something you have to deal with soon.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience on this subject Gray but wanted to confirm that Honeybunnies would accept a bun back if he/she didn't bond, would bond for you if you wanted that and would help with a bun run if not :wave:

It's a very personal thing and I don't think there's a one size fits all type answer. So many factors to consider and you know B&G better than anyone.

What is guaranteed though is that you'll be a devoted dad to your buns and they'll have a wonderful home with you x

I agree with Lou, webkath & halfpenny & I would leave them as they are, especially as I sense that you don't really want a third bunny but feel you should do it for Biscuit.

Bonding is very stressful for a healthy bun even, so I'm not sure I'd want to risk it with Ginger - it might make things easier for Biscuit if/when Ginger goes if there is a third, but that might well be at the expense of Ginger's health now iyswim.

We're all in the same boat essentially. Anybody with a pair is faced with the likelihood (unless you're unfortunate enough to lose them both at the same time :() that one will be bereaved at some point. There is no reason why you can't get another friend for Biscuit afterwards though - it's often harder for us to deal with as we're still grieving for the bunny we've lost but I don't think the bunny left behind grieves in the same way.

I'm no expert but my inclination is to say leave them as a pair. If/ when Ginger does take a turn for the worse you're going to need time yourself to make peace with it.
I think another bunny creates the risk of complicating your own grieving process.

I did it and it didnt work. Peanut was unwell and I didnt want him to die while I was at uni and Jelly suffer alone until I could get back. So I bonded my pairs and It didnt work so i split them.

when he did die, I bonded Jelly with my other pair and theyre bond was iffy for a good 9 months, now they are perfect, but it took ALOT of time and pebbles wasnt overly happy in the beginning. If she had say been poorly, I wouldnt have carried on because she was getting a bit stressed.

so i think there is positive and negative to both. Personally I would just wait and see what happens, many buns get bonded to other bunnies within days and cope fine, it wont be nice for you, it would be nicer if you didnt have to worry about that - that was part of my thinking.

but i think it could stress ginger out and thats not best for her x

I don't really have any advice but I wanted to say...how about starting a Happy Times Diary like the one Sky-O has for Badger? It might help you on bad days.

Or she could have her own blog? I'm sure her condition and the ways you have found to treat it would make an interesting and informative read all in one place.

Just some ideas...:wave:

I think the reason Gray is considering this is not because of solely having a low, and grieving bunny, and its not about having a single left who needs bonding, but because he knows that due to Biccy's personality and health, there is the very strong possibility that Biccy may go into stasis and may even lose his fight for life because he gets very strong separation anxiety and is unlikely to cope without Ginger. Gray is trying to work out how best to deal with that.

Because its going to be an acute problem, bonding in a week or so, or more, is not the issue. Gray is specifically worried about what happens immediately after Ginger dies and what may or may not happen.

From what I understand, Gray is just trying to look at the different possibilities to avoid that issue arising, that's all :)

I think all anyone can do is give you their opinion. Only you know your bunnies best and only you can decide what you feel will work best for you.
I personally wouldn't. I would leave them as a pair and see how Biscuit get's on when Ginger passes.
I have a bun in remission from leukemia and he is doing so well, best weight he's ever been etc at the minute but I was advised by my vet not to disturb his bind with his sister by putting them with their mum n dad because the stress of bonding may be too much for his body to cope with.
I also don't think that one can be sure that introducing a 3rd bun into an existing partnership wont ruin the original couples bond.
Not to say it wouldnt work though. A trio could well work out. I just personally wouldnt risk it. But as I said, you know your buns best of anyone and only you can weigh up the potential pros and cons of each path. :)

Back