• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio questions

Hi! I was referred here by someone from another forum who said that you have more trio experience and might have some useful insights. I'll give a synopsis of our situation and then the questions I have.

I have a bonded pair of 3/4 year old neutered males and a 4 or 5 year old spayed female. I have had her for 2 years and want to bond them. One of my males is very friendly and gets along with everyone. My other male is very aggressive and is a small breed, about 2.5 lbs. I've seen him lunge directly at a cat before for some insight into his personality. I have worked very hard with the smaller male and the female so he is typically not aggressive towards her at all anymore. However, she will nip and bite at him especially when he isn't being submissive. He also had a very difficult time accepting his submissive role with the other male but because he's so much smaller than them I don't think there's any way they would let him be the dominant rabbit. I currently have them in a pen in my bedroom doing marathon bonding. Last week suddenly the small male and the female were at odds and fighting for about a day, and then they just stopped.

They're the point where all rabbits will groom all other rabbits but nobody has accepted a submissive role. I know the hierarchy will be more complicated given that it's a trio but I am expecting the female to be dominant, but the other large male has not yet settled in as submissive to her. Unfortunately for my little guy I expect him to be the least dominant of the 3. He will groom the female then he stops and demands grooms and just sits there sticking his nose out for as much as 5 minutes which usually causes him to get nipped. Usually these interactions begin with her grooming him, then asking for grooms. He complies then quits and says it's his turn again and she disagrees. He will nap by her when she isn't being nippy bit does spend a decent amount of time away from the other 2.

So my questions are, does anyone have any ways to help them work through dominance? Any ways to help the 3rd rabbit integrate? He wants to hang out but he's wary of getting nipped (she tends to bite him fairly hard although she's been better about that lately). I have noticed that they both respond very well if I mush them together and pet them. It usually leads to 20 minutes of grooming back and forth before she gets frustrated with him not being submissive enough and starts nipping. They will typically share food and treats with no issue so I'll give them healthy treats together a few times a day as well. I believe this trio is bondable given the many positive interactions they have every day but I'm frustrated with the nipping and lack of progress in accepting/establishing dominance. I know I can't MAKE him be submissive but he's about 1/4 the size of the other rabbits so if they want to be dominant, they will be.

Any thoughts on helping them work this out would be very much appreciated!

I would settle for them not fighting, and leave them to sort the rest out - as long as they are all getting along and there is no bullying. I don't think you can influence the heirarchy as such. Some chasing and fur pulling would be normal at the beginning of a bond, but it should settle. Make sure they each have access to food, water and somewhere they feel safe.

I would settle for them not fighting, and leave them to sort the rest out - as long as they are all getting along and there is no bullying. I don't think you can influence the heirarchy as such. Some chasing and fur pulling would be normal at the beginning of a bond, but it should settle. Make sure they each have access to food, water and somewhere they feel safe.
Thank you for the suggestion! I guess I don't really want to influence it so much as help them move forward but I know this is more difficult in a trio. I also feel bad for my little one when he goes off by himself, even though I know she would be nice if he groomed her instead of sticking his nose at her :D

I agree with Shimmer. When I bonded a trio they got to an acceptable place reasonably quickly but I'd be upset at one of my girls propensity to chase & fur pull the submissive bun. It got better with time (several months rather than the hours you can expect from a well matched pair). Gradually they lay closer & closer & the good behaviours increased. All 3 were very happy to eat together & chill out - one of mine did remain bossy though & there were infrequent chases throughout their years together. Like you my bunnies seemed to do well when I'd fuss them all on the floor together. Maybe that helps with trust. My submissive bun did not groom until she learnt to trust chasey bun but she was very brave in constantly trying to lie closer to her & earn her keep in the group

Good luck. Photos welcome

Thank you for responding! It's so hard to find people who have bonded trios and it's really helpful to know that what they're going through sounds pretty normal actually. Right now all 3 of them are sitting by each other. I have a cute picture from yesterday of the difficult pair in a litterbox together eating but I don't know how to upload it haha! But really, it's very helpful to hear that you had the same thing with the nipping/chasing one of the rabbits away. It makes me feel so much better that they've got this, they just need time.

I'm glad it helped a bit to hear it took my bunnies longer than expected to progress. Mine was back in 2015 but I posted many similar threads with similar questions to you.

Your bunnies are lovely. A brown one, a white one & a teeny weeny black one:love:

here you go Tulsi

Qhj3BFe.jpg

Haha yes! His name is Wally and he's a chinchilla bun. He's my perfect angel but the other two are really trying my patience today :) They slept together all day yesterday then spent all night chasing and nipping and today they're mostly ignoring each other, except when they feel like nipping. Urrrrg bunnies! The little black one lost quite a bit of fur :/

Back