• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treating Wood For A Bunny Hutch

moss

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

My dad has just made me a lovely big hutch for my bunnies and I'm getting a bit confused about what I need to do when it comes to treating the wood.

Apparently, I either need a primer, an undercoat and then a top coat, OR, I need a preservative - which do you think would be best?

The wood is smooth, new wood, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for - the stuff I've found seems to be for treating rough sawn wood...

Any ideas? :)

Just paint it with Cuprinol Garden Shades or Wilkinson Colour Your Garden paint. Or buy some wood stain from Pets at Home specifically for rabbit hutches. It's important to use one that is safe for animals as rabbits will often chew the wood. Just give it a couple of coats of the above and it will be fine.

Preservative would be easier as no need to try and find bunny safe primer, undercoat, and then top coat!!

Just paint it with Cuprinol Garden Shades or Wilkinson Colour Your Garden paint. Or buy some wood stain from Pets at Home specifically for rabbit hutches. It's important to use one that is safe for animals as rabbits will often chew the wood. Just give it a couple of coats of the above and it will be fine.

Tim, would this be OK on smooth new wood? Sorry, I'm no good at all at anything like this!! :oops:

Yes, just slap on the paint. A primer isn't really needed for a rabbit hutch. Just put on as many coats as you think necessary.

I've just done two coats of cuprinol garden shades, its really easy and lovely paint to use and available in loads of lovely colours. Would need a new coat of paint every year or two to keep it looking lovely.

Hannah :)

Are they suitable for rabbits who may chew the wood as the man in Wilkinsons told me that none of the products they sell to preserve wood is suitable to use where animals may chew the wood?

Cuprinol is safe I believe but only when dry- it should tell you on the tin though in the small print.
You can get nice colours too. I have painted bluebells on one hutch in blue and green.:)
sue:wave:

Thanks, Tim :D

I've just done two coats of cuprinol garden shades, its really easy and lovely paint to use and available in loads of lovely colours. Would need a new coat of paint every year or two to keep it looking lovely.

Hannah :)

Thanks, Hannah - I'll be having a look to see what colour and where I can get it :)

Cuprinol is safe I believe but only when dry- it should tell you on the tin though in the small print.
You can get nice colours too. I have painted bluebells on one hutch in blue and green.:)
sue:wave:

My sister said she would paint some nice things on it for me - what a lovely idea it is to have bluebells on there! Do you have any pictures? I was thinking about some cute daisies painted on mine :)

Garden Shades

Cuprinol wouldn't advertise the paint as animal safe it it wasn't because they'd get sued.

So the fact that they do this......http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/features/animals/fun_rabbit_run.jsp must mean it's okay.

All of ours are Cuprinol Garden Shades Emms and none of the bunnies seem to have suffered any ill effects from the odd chew!

BTW Frank doesn't appear to be a chewer ;)

Awwww, Millie the rabbit is very cute! Can't wait to meet Frank! :D

If you ask any company they will say they don't recommend their paint is used where it will be ingested. That's just them covering their rear ends.

I've used cuprinol garden shades on all my hutches recently and have had lots of chewing with no problems. Wilkinsons Paint your Garden has the same wording as Cuprinol Garden Shades but I've only just started using it. It seems exactly the same as Cuprinol Garden Shades tbh

It depends if the hutch is going to be indoors or outdoors too. Outdoors I would use one of the garden shades as suggested as will have better weather protection for the wood. Indoors you can just use a normal solvent free wall/ceiling emulsion (water based) for a couple of coats and then a coat of low/minimal VOC clear varnish.

Does anyone know if Cuprinol Heritage shades are the same as Cuprinol Garden Shades? I did go into our local DIY place on my lunch just now to ask them and they were too busy gossiping about other members of staff to be bothered to help me! :evil:

If there is a difference between the two, I wonder what the difference is. Just had the two products up to compare and can't see anything obvious.:oops:

Does anyone know if Cuprinol Heritage shades are the same as Cuprinol Garden Shades? I did go into our local DIY place on my lunch just now to ask them and they were too busy gossiping about other members of staff to be bothered to help me! :evil:

If there is a difference between the two, I wonder what the difference is. Just had the two products up to compare and can't see anything obvious.:oops:

I used Heritage Shades. I believe the only difference is that Heritage shades come in more traditional wood type colours whereas garden shades come in a variety of more colourful shades.

I used Heritage Shades. I believe the only difference is that Heritage shades come in more traditional wood type colours whereas garden shades come in a variety of more colourful shades.

Thanks for all your help, Tim :)

Back