• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much rabbit waste

We easily have over 10 bin bags every week. We seperate the used newspaper from the hay. The paper goes in the black bin and everyone elses in the street :oops: once a fortnight and the hay waste goes to a lovely old man down the road for his allotments :)

Freecycle is a good place to advertise rabbit waste and sometimes you get free veg in return :)

What would they want as waste? ive not got to pick all the poo out?:shock::oops::lol:

We have a lot of waste from 4 guinea pigs and a rabbit and 4 horses. Megazorb and hay mixed in with the poo makes the most perfect compost. My sister set up a "business", she puts the compost from the heap (theres a rotation with sections for breaking down) into megazorb bags and old horse feed bags and delivers it to local people in a wheelbarrow. She advertised across all the local villages and she just asks in return to have a donation to a charity she supports. Some people donate only £1 a bag, some donate much more, last year she raised £76. This year she aims to make more than £100 and the orders have already been coming in. Maybe its worth having a rotted bin and a fresher bin on rotation and seeing if any nearby people would like some.

My dad takes most of it to the allotment otherwise it goes to the tip in general rubbish, not sure why you can't take it there, seems a bit silly :?

What would they want as waste? ive not got to pick all the poo out?:shock::oops::lol:

My dad takes it all to the allotment, newspaper, hay, megazorb and bunny poo! Only thing he doesn't want is if i ever use gloosy type paper in the trays so i just don't use that anymore.

I've got one of those massive black composting bins (looks like a darlek) that you can get discounted from the council. All the bunny, chicken and garden waste goes in it. Makes great compost eventually.

They make fantastic compost!! my mum actually gave bags of the stuff to my oh mum for her roses. said it's the best stuff going!! Mums council gave her's away for free so give them a call and see what they can do or see if they will let you know next time they do it. They also give away free trees sometimes too

Try all the tips in your area. The nearest one to me won't take it, but there are a few within a 10 mile radius that will (well they don't ask what's in your bags anyway!). I do end up driving rather a long way sometimes, but I'd rather do that than have it piling up in the garden.

snap:D they guys at our local tip are ok about it tho in smaller quantities so i usually just take a couple of bags at a time (i only have 4 piggies and 2 buns but the waste from 4 pigs is crazy!)

I put all mine in the brown bin for recyling garden waste and ignore that it says no animal waste - I just make sure there is a deep enough layer of grass etc on the top as the only lift the lids foraquick glance.

At the rescue we have loads (from 180 critters) and we rely on the allotment peeps coming for it, otherwise we have to do several tip runs.

I asked my council if rabbit waste was recyclable and, if so, could I have a garden waste bin for it as I know it's recycled by a council about 10 miles away from me. Their answer was no, animal bedding was not recyclable as it could cause foot & mouth :? Ummmm, ok then. So I just have to completely fill my rubbish bin with it instead, and at some point they'll probably screw me for not recycling enough :roll:

We have created three HUGE compost area on our allotments. We have two allotments plus an extra half an allotment - and we use the ha;f one just for our compost. We get through two bales of hay a week and about half a bale/sack of Aubiose so you can imagine what its all like once the pooh has been 'added':lol:

It takes about 18 months for each of the compost 'bin areas' to rot down enough to be useable - and we have to turn it at least three times in that time to make sure it all composts.

We are thinking of moving house and the 'what on earth can we do with the waste if we don't have allotments' is a huge influence on where we can move to.

I am quite lucky has i can take mine to work,we have a huge skip that is emptied once a week.
We can also go to our local tip.

Many allotments have piles of horse manure, and most will be more than happy to take rabbit waste

It depends, we have had people in the past that take everything including the soiled paper, but at the moment we have to take the paper out and the gentleman has the soiled hay and poo.

We can't put ours in the gardening waste bin either or take to any tips :(

we pick the paper out - though at the moment we are ;experimenting' with just not using paper and spreading the Aubiose in a thicker layer right through the hutch or indoor poo trays. Newspaper tends to clump together and not compost well.

Back