• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Today's the day - Buffys spay!

Thanks so much everyone, your well wishes are very much appreciated :).

We collected Buffy around 5pm, everything had gone smoothly thankfully. Since getting her home she has worried us so much, she has taken to sitting in her litter tray constantly and it was three hours of tempting her, before she ate something (Spring green). She had a tiny amount and I just saw her have a little more and some hay.

So although she looks thoroughly miserable, she is eating small amounts, which is encouraging. She has hay, water, veggies and a few cheeky treats within reach. She currently lives in my daughters bedroom, so she is keeping a close eye on her.

One thing, have some of you not been sent home with any medication? When our other girls got spayed we were giving them meds for days, but they don't do it at this vets unless it's vital (they gave her an injection before she left, I believe). They were also kept in overnight, but not here.

We are back for post op checks in 2 days and 10 days x

Thanks so much everyone, your well wishes are very much appreciated :).

We collected Buffy around 5pm, everything had gone smoothly thankfully. Since getting her home she has worried us so much, she has taken to sitting in her litter tray constantly and it was three hours of tempting her, before she ate something (Spring green). She had a tiny amount and I just saw her have a little more and some hay.

So although she looks thoroughly miserable, she is eating small amounts, which is encouraging. She has hay, water, veggies and a few cheeky treats within reach. She currently lives in my daughters bedroom, so she is keeping a close eye on her.

One thing, have some of you not been sent home with any medication? When our other girls got spayed we were giving them meds for days, but they don't do it at this vets unless it's vital (they gave her an injection before she left, I believe). They were also kept in overnight, but not here.

We are back for post op checks in 2 days and 10 days x

When my rabbit was spayed I was given metacam and had a return visit in 2/3 days.

Quietness is to be expected. It took about 3/4 days for mine to get eating and feel 'normal' again.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you think it's unusual not to be given anything then? I did tell them about my others rabbits, but they don't routinely send you home with them here. But said if she needed them, we could contact them x

I'd contact them, say she looks miserable & is eating bits rather than lots. I think some metacam would be nice for her to have if she is struggling a bit xx

It sounds very unusual not to be sent home with meds, especially pain relief, post spay. Selene and Persephone were both sent home with metacam, emeprid (gut stimulant) and a pack of Recovery (which wasn't needed in either case. In fact Sef barely needed the emeprid either as she ate like a horse the moment she was home. :roll:)

Poor girl. Like J&B says, I'd call up and ask for some pain relief. She'll probably have had the long-acting pain relief injection, but will definitely feel worse 24 hours post-op. It's a big thing for a little rabbit to go through. Being quieter for a couple of days post-op isn't surprising, but the fact she's only picking at food obviously isn't good.

When is Buffy's post-op check?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you think it's unusual not to be given anything then? I did tell them about my others rabbits, but they don't routinely send you home with them here. But said if she needed them, we could contact them x

Yes it's unusual I would say not to be sent home with any pain relief for the two/three days.

However, rabbits don't always eat even *with* pain relief, so it's not a magic wand. Though it could be!

Can you get some tomorrow (or have you any at home - you could get them to give you the dosage) and in the meantime maybe syringe her a little food to keep things moving?

I can't remember if we were given meds after Bungee's spay, but she was pretty quiet for a few days. Good news that Buffy is nibbling a few things. Hope she feels better soon.

I'd always insist on pain relief post spay (and even castration).
Just because they don't moan/cry like a dog doesn't meant they can't feel it. (Sorry - get annoyed when vets don't give the same treatment to rabbits as they would a cat or dog).

I don't think it's unusual they didn't keep her in. It may be they don't have staff on overnight and feel she'd have better attention at home. Or they feel she was eating and producing enough faeces to be allowed home.

We only kept them in at the 24/7 centers if they weren't at least nibbling hay or taking small amounts of recovery feed

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd re-assess her first thing tomorrow and if she is still not eating I would get some pain relief. I would say that quietness is normal and not eating the first evening is not unusual. Sending vibes for Buffy.

I was given metacam, emeprid and ranitidine after M's spay, plus recovery food which I did end up having to use.

Hopefully she's eating better now but I think I would prefer a couple of days of pain relief, I remember the pain I had post c-section (but then I don't handle pain well!).

Thank you for all the replies.

I don't like the thought of her not having any meds, so I think we will give them a call. If anything it would also help me to feel like I'm helping her. It's not a nice thing to have to go through.

I barely slept through worrying about her and have a massive headache today. On a plus note, I checked her at 4.30am this morning and she had eaten all her pellets and some carrot and finished her greens off last night and appears to have eaten hay too, I'm so relieved. This morning she ate her breakfast as soon as I gave it to her.

She's still constantly sitting in the litter tray, but her eyes are brighter this morning and fully open, whereas yesterday they were half closed.

Does anyone know, should I still give the amount of pellets she normally has or keep giving them if it means she is eating? Also should I check her wound, I don't want to hurt her? We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

Very good news that she is eating - and that she seems brighter. I absolutely HATE the first 24 hours after a doe has been spayed - it is the most worrying time.

About the pain relief - even though she is eating and is brighter, I would pester the vets and exaggerate if necessary. I was given 5 days worth of metacam for Princess just recently and she bounced back very quickly which I believe is partially because she wasn't in any pain.

I don't understand vets who don't give pain relief on request at least. My vets are more than happy to give me big bottles of metacam so I always have some in stock - for the dogs and rabbits. It gives a lovely sense of relief being able to help an animal who is in pain, until I'm able to get them to the vets.

Thank you for all the replies.

I don't like the thought of her not having any meds, so I think we will give them a call. If anything it would also help me to feel like I'm helping her. It's not a nice thing to have to go through.

I barely slept through worrying about her and have a massive headache today. On a plus note, I checked her at 4.30am this morning and she had eaten all her pellets and some carrot and finished her greens off last night and appears to have eaten hay too, I'm so relieved. This morning she ate her breakfast as soon as I gave it to her.

She's still constantly sitting in the litter tray, but her eyes are brighter this morning and fully open, whereas yesterday they were half closed.

Does anyone know, should I still give the amount of pellets she normally has or keep giving them if it means she is eating? Also should I check her wound, I don't want to hurt her? We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon.

I hope you managed to get a few hours sleep after you saw she'd eaten at 4.30 am :wave:

I would give her the normal amount of pellets and encourage her to eat up her grass, hay and fibre. Perhaps add in some tasty herbs?

I would try and check the wound today, within vet's opening hours, just in case you need to speed along for a check up sooner than tomorrow.

Good luck xx

I'm so pleased to see that Buffy has eaten overnight and this morning. I agree with MM I would not increase her pellets, but would try something in addition like herbs or some nice tasty juicy forage.

Yes it would be a good idea to try to check the wound today. Perhaps if you don't want to pick her up, try getting her to reach up for something and be ready to look underneath.

Yes, I would get some pain relief today.

Loads of vibes for the lovely precious Buffy.

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to get a bit more sleep this morning, but was still up really early.

Buffy is doing amazing. She's been moving around and seems much happier. She's been tucking into her hay and this afternoon we made her a small medley of veggies - kale, rocket, broccoli and celery and she ate the lot :). There's also lots of evidence of wees and poos.

I spoke to my dh about the meds and he said to see how she was this afternoon and as she was doing fine he didn't think we needed to. I do appreciate all the advice though and would of course get some if she showed any signs of pain at all.

My daughter helped me to check her wound this evening, we were able to distract her with a piece of Spring green and I carefully picked her up in a towel. It looks perfect, very neat and not sore looking.

Here she is, brave Buffy x

URL=http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/lbphotos1/media/image_zpsyriixo7n.jpeg.html]
image_zpsyriixo7n.jpeg
[/URL]

Oh she's so lovely :love: I'm so pleased she's been doing well today. Hasn't her fur grown a lot since she was clipped at the vets :shock:

I hope you have a better night's sleep.

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to get a bit more sleep this morning, but was still up really early.

Buffy is doing amazing. She's been moving around and seems much happier. She's been tucking into her hay and this afternoon we made her a small medley of veggies - kale, rocket, broccoli and celery and she ate the lot :). There's also lots of evidence of wees and poos.

I spoke to my dh about the meds and he said to see how she was this afternoon and as she was doing fine he didn't think we needed to. I do appreciate all the advice though and would of course get some if she showed any signs of pain at all.

My daughter helped me to check her wound this evening, we were able to distract her with a piece of Spring green and I carefully picked her up in a towel. It looks perfect, very neat and not sore looking.

Here she is, brave Buffy x

URL=http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/lbphotos1/media/image_zpsyriixo7n.jpeg.html]
image_zpsyriixo7n.jpeg
[/URL]

What a brave and lovely girl she is :love::love::love:

Well done you for checking her wound, and I'm really glad she's eating :D

Back