• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timing dentals U/D reason for abnormal poops page 18#180

Thanks donnamt. He's really cheerful & active. Even with metacam he's always off his food a bit. Thank goodness my ancient apple tree gives enough twigs & bark to keep him going on fiber.

So it's normal for us to have a few days of big poops & little 'uns gradually returning to normal. [Just got a nice "nest" of big ones] His tummy seems fine. I can't hear gas rumbling at my feet, & things are turning over nicely if I put an ear to his side. Hopefully it's just a case of getting him properly filled up again.

He was really good about his metacam too.:shock: Warming it has made a big difference.

Well today is the day I have a dilemma. He's hungry for his veg & pellets, both of which are going down well, but not eating much fiber - hay.
I can't decide whether his jaw is a bit stiff, but I also know that he is perfectly capable of manipulating for his favourite foods!! A bit of emotional blackmail!
I think I'll gently push the issue this evening when he is maximally covered by metacam, delay his veg & pellets & see if hunger will push him to eat hay, before he goes back to bad habits.

Just pick up the phone and pretend you are ringing the vets.That usually does the trick :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just pick up the phone and pretend you are ringing the vets.That usually does the trick :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Absolutely right - spot on.

He's just had a long drink of cold water. What a give away!! I've got a naughty boy!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hes too spoilt for his own good :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i reakon you need to pop out for a few hours, i find Alvin plays up less when im not actually here, my mom reakons he knows i have a camera to watch him :evil:

hes too spoilt for his own good :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i reakon you need to pop out for a few hours, i find Alvin plays up less when im not actually here, my mom reakons he knows i have a camera to watch him :evil:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Never a truer word spoken in jest!!
The best way to get him to eat hay, is to go through the bed time routine of cuddles etc. & go to bed. He'll usually start chomping in a couple of mins!!! I know what he's eating by the different munching sounds. Water took me by surprise this morning, only a couple of very faint squeaks. I suppose it started when he was a baby. He learned to be naughty where I couldn't see him - but I could still hear him!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
He was just bored & wanted some action, "to liven the place up".
It makes me laugh so much!
He's good now, we have our morning & evening times & run in the garden, the rest of the time he just keeps an eye on me or rests up.

I like making his life "nice" for him if it's something simple, but when it's something important, I'm more determined than he is, I don't let him get away with it however long it takes.
We are well matched. The only thing I'd change about him is a decent set of gnashers that worked properly.
Perhaps we wouldn't have the relationship we have now if we hadn't struggled so hard together to feed him & keep him alive.

Yes he's "spoiled". He gets a choice of his herbs - dill? coriander? I've a fair idea of his preference by ear response. I repeat the alternatives when he starts running round my feet - he'll stamp for the one he wants. Yes, I sometimes get excited stamping all the time = both. So he gets a 1/2 portion of both. I'm doubled up when he can't decide which 1 to eat first!!:lol::lol::lol:

ETA I would handle a fear/aggression bun totally differently. Thumps hasn't got fear/ aggression. He's got a strong personality & worked out a communication system with me. [He's learned to wait - at last!] Perhaps it gives him some mental simulation using it?

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Never a truer word spoken in jest!!
The best way to get him to eat hay, is to go through the bed time routine of cuddles etc. & go to bed. He'll usually start chomping in a couple of mins!!! I know what he's eating by the different munching sounds. Water took me by surprise this morning, only a couple of very faint squeaks. I suppose it started when he was a baby. He learned to be naughty where I couldn't see him - but I could still hear him!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
He was just bored & wanted some action, "to liven the place up".
It makes me laugh so much!
He's good now, we have our morning & evening times & run in the garden, the rest of the time he just keeps an eye on me or rests up.

I like making his life "nice" for him if it's something simple, but when it's something important, I'm more determined than he is, I don't let him get away with it however long it takes.
We are well matched. The only thing I'd change about him is a decent set of gnashers that worked properly.
Perhaps we wouldn't have the relationship we have now if we hadn't struggled so hard together to feed him & keep him alive.

Yes he's "spoiled". He gets a choice of his herbs - dill? coriander? I've a fair idea of his preference by ear response. I repeat the alternatives when he starts running round my feet - he'll stamp for the one he wants. Yes, I sometimes get excited stamping all the time = both. So he gets a 1/2 portion of both. I'm doubled up when he can't decide which 1 to eat first!!:lol::lol::lol:

awwwww do you get buzzed too?? :love::love::love::love::love: i love that sound almost as much as veg munching

Just wanted to send my support for having a dental bunny. My nutmeg has a dental every 4-5 weeks. He stayed over at my vets last night and when i picked him up tonight he stuck his bum out of the carrier and did an enormous wee all over the vets table. He always does this when i pick him up!:roll: Guess he is showing his disapproval to the vet and saying "Here is a present for you. Thats what i think of you Mr Vet. clean this up im going home!" :lol:

No I don't get what I would call a buzz, or anything as harsh as honking. He makes quiet "uh huh" noises, like North Country folk use for "yes".
[We're from the N-E, so he's 1 of the family!]

Just wanted to send my support for having a dental bunny. My nutmeg has a dental every 4-5 weeks. He stayed over at my vets last night and when i picked him up tonight he stuck his bum out of the carrier and did an enormous wee all over the vets table. He always does this when i pick him up!:roll: Guess he is showing his disapproval to the vet and saying "Here is a present for you. Thats what i think of you Mr Vet. clean this up im going home!" :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thank you for your support fiona3. It's lovely to hear of another bun who wees in disapproval. It's the only reason Thumper ever sprays me!
Everything crossed that Nutmeg gets back to eating normally tonight.
Isn't it a worry when we know they'll need a dental and there's a public holiday?

No I don't get what I would call a buzz, or anything as harsh as honking. He makes quiet "uh huh" noises, like North Country folk use for "yes".
[We're from the N-E, so he's 1 of the family!]

hahahaha Alvins a brummie explains why hes gobby and thinks its ok to bite the vet i suppose :lol::lol::lol:

hahahaha Alvins a brummie explains why hes gobby and thinks its ok to bite the vet i suppose :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Awww I like Brummy people. Great sense of humour!

Oh Alvin's just saying "It's horrid being messed about, prodded, Mouth forced open and nasty cold thingy shoved in, see how you like it"
Marie reckoned the front end wasn't a problem, it was being "thumped" with long nails, that was the worst.

:lol::lol::lol: Awww I like Brummy people. Great sense of humour!

Oh Alvin's just saying "It's horrid being messed about, prodded, Mouth forced open and nasty cold thingy shoved in, see how you like it"
Marie reckoned the front end wasn't a problem, it was being "thumped" with long nails, that was the worst.

ouch :shock::shock::shock:

Everything crossed that Nutmeg gets back to eating normally tonight.
Isn't it a worry when we know they'll need a dental and there's a public holiday?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! He wasnt quite ready last week for his dental and i was in a panic that he would need it this week near xmas. We have it fine tuned! But even a few days late means the difference between his teeth cutting his tongue or cheek and then tum problems and not eating. You must know them inside out to get it right! I know how worrying it is!
Fengureek crunchies after his dental usually kick start him into eating! I gave the vet a tupperwear dish with his fav foods in it so he was tempeted after his op. Grapes, crunchies, greens, carrot sticks. Must think i feed him rubbish but it was tiny amounts and if it gets him eating i dont care! Back with pellets once he is better. haha.:lol:

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit kirstyg.
I've worked it out in my head that he'd have died a year ago without dentals, so each month we have together is a bonus.
It's just that like everyone else on here, I know I'll be devastated to lose him.

Fiona3 - I think Thumper is a sensible bunny. He's never had a mark of inflammation in his mouth, let alone ulceration. He stops eating as soon as his mouth is uncomfortable. So we have about a week of eating well, then little, eating well on a day by day basis. Even when he stops eating, his mouth looks normal. I'm so thankful he "looks after" his mouth.

I don't know why he goes off hay after a dental. His purr is different so perhaps he's adjusting to a changed occlusion.
His jaw may be a bit stiff.
He can be a bit naughty with food. He prefers a fresh "wild rabbit diet", but it's not around in winter!!
As a last resort, after a dental I can manipulate him by mixing up some critical care. He'll really go for his hay then!!
He had a good chomp this morning when I went to bed :oops:
His poop output is increasing so he's eating more. They're just small & dark so he needs more fiber.

We are well on the road to full recovery now.
He definitely feels cold if he's not eaten enough, which is interesting for non-dental stasis buns.
Thank you every one for your support, Merry Christmas Everybun. :wave::wave:

It's not going so well this time. When I stopped the metacam on Fri, he reverted to eating only veg, herbs & a small amount of pellets. Only a few mouthfuls of hay. By Sun he was getting a few large masses of caecal material - soft, along with his waste pellets, which didn't surprise me with his diet. It's not unduly smelly. [It smells disgusting when he gets bacterial overgrowth (dysbiosis)]

Fortunately I spoke to Marie, who had done the dental. His tongue had been a bit red this time, & the spurs a bit bigger. It's back on metacam & zantac. He's not even eating apple bark for fiber. The problem is a sensitive mouth. I shouldn't have pushed him so hard. Feel I've let him down badly this time.

Back