• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

this may help ppl with their "teeth" questions

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:D A lot of people have been posting about teeth lately, so I thought this may help. Travis has had problems with molar spurs since October 05. Every month since then he's had to have them filed under General Anaesthetic. Today he had 2 molars removed, there is a 50/50 chance that his teeth will either stay where they are, and be fine, or move to fill the gaps and cause further problems. It was a difficult decision, but after monthly GA's, it seemed the best option to remove them. I decided that even if his teeth did shift, he will at least have a good few months without GA's.

I have taken a picture of Trav's teeth the vets gave me, this shows how long and thick the roots are, which outlines how easily root problems can often cause dental problems. These are 2 molar teeth. I have no experience with incisors, but know that it is more common for rabbits to have these removed than molars. As a general rule, rabbits cannot be made "gummy" like cats, so molars are often not removed.

I hope that this experience along with other info on the forum, may help some ppl. :D

teeth.jpg

:D No probs, I was quite surprised too!! That's why I thought I'd post a pic, gives ppl an idea of what we're dealing with!!!!! :shock:

I was given the teeth back for 2 of my 3 buns that had their incisors removed (said not to worry the third time :lol: ) and they were so long :shock:
However, about the gummy thing, I've heard from several sources (a couple being my vets!) that buns manage fine, just need a softer diet. And doesn't Jane (JCO) have a bun with only one molar that lives (amazingly) fine on a rubbish petshop mix?

Yes Jane did say she has a "gummy" bun. I think my vets would just rather avoid having to remove too many of his teeth. It's becoming gradually more common, a lot of vets wont even remove the molars. It depends on the vet I think, I can only give information on my own experiences and the advice I've been given so far and thought I'd pass it on. :D

I was told that removing molars causes more problems.

As the back teeth are like the bricks in a house and the over lap each other. So when you remove one there is nothing for the over lap tooth to be worn down on.

Have I explained what I mean there?

Yes, I've heard that Tracy - one vet suggested to my mum that we have Mary's molar removed as it's the same one that gets a nasty spur on it. Not sure which vet it was (my mum had to pop him in for his dental as I was working or something) but when I discussed it with the vet looking at Mary with his checkup we both agreed that it would be too risky as the tooth opposite may then become a troublesome tooth and the teeth eitherside may grow inwards and become a big problem! I'd rather stick to the one problem tooth than 3!
But I've also had a few discussions about it with a few vets there (as I have 3 incisorless buns and 2 of them have molar problems) and they have said that in extreme cases buns have had all their molars removed and can cope OK on a soft diet - obviously not suggesting you go ahead and get all the molars removed at the first sign of dental problems but saying it can work.

That's why removing molars is not common practise, but as Karly says, if there's one problem tooth, it is sometimes better to remove it. If it is the first molar it is apparently easier to control the growth of the other teeth than if it were the middle one because of the way the teeth sit. It all depends on what you think is best for yr bunny I guess. I personally did not want Travis to cary on having GA's every 3-4 weeks to have this tooth burred down, so I agreed to have it removed - with the oposing one, and see what happens, his teeth may shift, they may not. He may need further dental work but at least he'll have a break from GA's for now and we'll cross that bidge when we get there.

I think molars are a v debatable subject amongst vets and it depends on each individual case and how confident the vet is about taking it on. It's unknown territory for many I think. But I do know that there are many buns on here who have one or more molars missing, some, being rescue buns who's owners didn't realise until lately, but they're doing OK. I think it's down to the individual rabbit and vet.

Back