• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The sneeze continues

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie's sneezing continues, but the vet says Cookie is not sick and is not giving treatment. But I'm afraid, all the decisions the vet has made so far are wrong so I don't trust her. Other veterinarians in Turkey are worse than this about rabbits, they do not know safe doses and drugs for rabbits.

Cookie had a respiratory infection, 5 days of Bactrim treatment. Vet says antibiotic treatment for more than 5 days is wrong (I'm going crazy). Also after 5 days I said Cookie is not healed and x-rayed, she said it was something very minor and gave 2 diuretic injections. No other treatment was given. I want Cookie to heal completely, I almost even want to give him Bactrim myself. Because I'm desperate, what do you suggest?

PS, Cookie eats, drinks and poops well, cheerful, relaxed.

Last edited:
All I can suggest is try a different vet for a second opinion.

Oh, that's the biggest problem, no other vets. They have zero knowledge about rabbits. That's why I took him to a different vet, animal hospital in the past months. There they gave the wrong medicine to the cookie and it was very dangerous. Other vets don't even know safe drugs and doses for rabbits. This is my only chance right now and it sucks.:|

Also, sometimes a white patch continues to form in Cookie's eye. Jane said it was related to a respiratory infection but the vet refuses. I trust Jane, I think she's telling the truth. The vet is not treating Cookie, what should I do, please help me. :(

I would consult a different Vet, even if they are not claiming to be Rabbit Savvy. They might be more willing to listen to suggestions.

I would consult a different Vet, even if they are not claiming to be Rabbit Savvy. They might be more willing to listen to suggestions.

I'm so confused, I'm worried the infection will sneak up until I get there. I can't find a single safe vet about rabbits, the last time they nearly hurt Cookie, I'm going crazy. If I'm not afraid of antibiotic resistance, I will apply Bactrim to Cookie myself, because now his infection is so minor.

Thank Allah, I guess Allah finally helped me. There is a newly opened exotic animal hospital in Istanbul. More new and first time. I made an appointment right away and I will take him tomorrow. :)

Thank Allah, Allah introduced me to this newly opened vet. This vet really said everything Jane said about rabbits, knows all about rabbits. But it's too far, it took 4 hours because of the traffic, oh Istanbul.
I said everything the old vet said, and she asked the old vet's name. when I said the old vet's name, the vet said "her name is just famous". :lol:
New vet was angry at the short course of antibiotics she said I was right.

She said Cookie had a small infection in his nose, probably caused by his old half-antibiotic treatments. Cookie had new lung and head X-rays. Also took a swab from his nose. Now we give us 14 days of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory painkillers, eye drops, physiological serum for the eyes and nose, cream for the calluses on the feet. :)

Thank Allah, Allah introduced me to this newly opened vet. This vet really said everything Jane said about rabbits, knows all about rabbits. But it's too far, it took 4 hours because of the traffic, oh Istanbul.
I said everything the old vet said, and she asked the old vet's name. when I said the old vet's name, the vet said "her name is just famous". :lol:
New vet was angry at the short course of antibiotics she said I was right.

She said Cookie had a small infection in his nose, probably caused by his old half-antibiotic treatments. Cookie had new lung and head X-rays. Also took a swab from his nose. Now we give us 14 days of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory painkillers, eye drops, physiological serum for the eyes and nose, cream for the calluses on the feet. :)

At last !!

Cookie update

Today is the 12th day of antibiotics and the sneezes continue. Medicine reduced sneezing by 70-80 percent, but it still did not completely go away. Actually the first 7 days the medicines were very good, then the sneezing started again. What I noticed with Cookie is that the thing that works best for Cookie is painkiller. Cookie took painkillers for 7 days and everything was great med that time. Once the painkiller was gone, the old symptoms started again. What do you think this could be, am I wrong?

The pain killer will have an anti inflammatory effect if it is a drug such as Meloxicam

Inflammation within the nasal passages can cause sneezing

Roisin sill sneezes after her severe RTI a few months ago. She has no active infection, the sneeze does not effect her quality of life so we are just monitoring the situation. She is not ill within herself and she is not on any medication.

I have cared for several Rabbits with histories of RTIs and many are left with a chronic issue with sneezing due to scaring in the nasal passages caused by previous infections. Sometimes the sneezing is something that never goes away and at times a flare up of active infection can occur meaning the Rabbit needs to go back onto antibiotics again to try to get the infection under control.

I would not want an otherwise healthy Rabbit who was not being adversely effected by being sneezy ( with no active infection) to be on a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug long term. IMO the risks of that out weigh any benefits.

Nebulising the Rabbit with a sterile saline solution can sometimes help reduce the sneezing.

The pain killer will have an anti inflammatory effect if it is a drug such as Meloxicam

Inflammation within the nasal passages can cause sneezing

Roisin sill sneezes after her severe RTI a few months ago. She has no active infection, the sneeze does not effect her quality of life so we are just monitoring the situation. She is not ill within herself and she is not on any medication.

I have cared for several Rabbits with histories of RTIs and many are left with a chronic issue with sneezing due to scaring in the nasal passages caused by previous infections. Sometimes the sneezing is something that never goes away and at times a flare up of active infection can occur meaning the Rabbit needs to go back onto antibiotics again to try to get the infection under control.

I would not want an otherwise healthy Rabbit who was not being adversely effected by being sneezy ( with no active infection) to be on a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug long term. IMO the risks of that out weigh any benefits.

Nebulising the Rabbit with a sterile saline solution can sometimes help reduce the sneezing.

I'm sure you wrote great, but my English was insufficient to understand the whole. :D What does RTI mean?

I have cared for several Rabbits with histories of RTIs and many are left with a chronic issue with sneezing due to scaring in the nasal passages caused by previous infections.

What does nasal passage scaring mean?

What exactly is this, I don't understand it

Sorry Jane, I'm getting you a little tired. :|

I'm sure you wrote great, but my English was insufficient to understand the whole. :D What does RTI mean?

I have cared for several Rabbits with histories of RTIs and many are left with a chronic issue with sneezing due to scaring in the nasal passages caused by previous infections.

What does nasal passage scaring mean?

What exactly is this, I don't understand it

Sorry Jane, I'm getting you a little tired. :|

RTI = Respiratory tract infection

Just as scar tissue can form over a wound so scar tissue can form in the nasal passages after repeated infections

Nebulising

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/nebulising-rabbits/

Please find a savvy rabbit vet near you

Please find a different vet you can trust, my bunny was a indoor bunny he had sneezing fits for 2 years and my vets didnt know what it was, unfortunately he passed last week he was only 5.
Please find a rabbit savvy near where you live. My vets were **** and I feel guilty for taking him there, never again, I wont take any of my pets there again, I know they are a charity vet but they do not know much about bunnys.

Back