• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EMERGENCY Bladder flush

good news. what did you identify as the cause of excess calcium in his previous diet?

It's all my fault. In his diet I was giving witlof, parsley or dill as vegetables every day. In general, diet lists on the internet said that they could be given daily, and I thought it was right. :(
Then I spoke to Grace and she told me and showed me my mistakes. Now I've started to change his diet, we started a new diet.
Thank you very much for your interest and support :) xxx

Goid for you for requesting the x ray. It is nice that Cookie is doing well and did not need the procedures.

Ah thank Allah. I really insisted on x-ray thanks to Grace and the forum. If no one had warned me now Cookie would have gone through this painful procedure in vain. :(
Really thank you all so much. And thank you also for your interest and support :) xxx

I'm pleased that Cookie didn't need the procedure :)

Regarding diet, the link that Jane posted is excellent. I'm not sure that I would cut out the vegetables that you were giving daily. As FHB says, they are mainly water which is beneficial and it dilutes the calcium. The most important change in my view that you could make would be with pellets and, as the link says, I would greatly reduce these or better cut them out altogether. You could also discuss his diet with your vet.

I hope that Cookie remains well now.

It's all my fault. In his diet

Don't go blaming yourself with rabbits and calcium. They have very strange calcium metabolism.

It might not be caused by diet but changing diet could improve it.

There are lots of reasons why rabbits have sludgy bladders and it does not always mean they are consuming food that is too high in calcium. For instance, my soulbun, Artie, had bad problems with bladder sludge and it was thought that he wasn't emptying his bladder fully when he urinated therefore only emptied the water part and not the sediment, over time the sediment builds up. This can be as simple as not getting the right position, can be spine problems - though unlikely in a young rabbit like Cookie. All I mean with this, just don't blame yourself for it happening.

Regarding diet, the link that Jane posted is excellent. I'm not sure that I would cut out the vegetables that you were giving daily. As FHB says, they are mainly water which is beneficial and it dilutes the calcium. The most important change in my view that you could make would be with pellets and, as the link says, I would greatly reduce these or better cut them out altogether. You could also discuss his diet with your vet.

Just to be clear, I didn't say to cut out the veg [emoji38]

He wasn't being fed very much veg per day because KCG was worried about gas, but was being fed pepper and banana and cucumber... Anyway I suggest introducing kale and spring greens and more herbs and lots of other stuff slowly and serving more than a couple of pieces a day, and serving them wet. Also linked that same diet sheet Jane did [emoji38]

After going through all this with Clementine, lots of wet veg is definitely the way through this situation ime

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, I didn't say to cut out the veg [emoji38]

He wasn't being fed very much veg per day because KCG was worried about gas, but was being fed pepper and banana and cucumber... Anyway I suggest introducing kale and spring greens and more herbs and lots of other stuff slowly and serving more than a couple of pieces a day, and serving them wet. Also linked that same diet sheet Jane did [emoji38]

After going through all this with Clementine, lots of wet veg is definitely the way through this situation ime

Sorry, Graciee, that came across as though I was criticising :( I wasn't. As Bunny Buddy said, rabbits and calcium seems to be an imprecise issue.

Sorry, Graciee, that came across as though I was criticising :( I wasn't. As Bunny Buddy said, rabbits and calcium seems to be an imprecise issue.
Nahhh I didn't think you were but I realised without the full explanation if anyone was looking for help in the future and read this they might think cutting out veg was the answer and I was like nooooo [emoji38][emoji38]

It definitely is as they can't seem to absorb it and the only way they get rid is through peeing it out... Seems like a really silly way of dealing with it, although maybe in the wild it works just fine because grass is probably main part of their diet!

My bridge bunny Amigo developed a large jack stone-it had points jutting out from all sides-and infection. After surgery and abx he lived many more years and never got another stone. We suspect infection caused stone to form. He became my oldest bunny. He looked like Cookie, yet smaller.
His littermate,Bonita, had same diet and never got a stone. He was another Cookie look alike. Very cute!

Don't go blaming yourself with rabbits and calcium. They have very strange calcium metabolism.

It might not be caused by diet but changing diet could improve it.

There are lots of reasons why rabbits have sludgy bladders and it does not always mean they are consuming food that is too high in calcium. For instance, my soulbun, Artie, had bad problems with bladder sludge and it was thought that he wasn't emptying his bladder fully when he urinated therefore only emptied the water part and not the sediment, over time the sediment builds up. This can be as simple as not getting the right position, can be spine problems - though unlikely in a young rabbit like Cookie. All I mean with this, just don't blame yourself for it happening.

Thank you both so much xxx
I still get mad at myself for following the usual diet charts on the internet.

Actually, Cookie's diet was like this
"1-2 leaves witlof in the morning
2-3 sprigs of parsley or dill in the evening
1 thin slice of cucumber or pepper 2 times a week
1 thin slice of banana 1-2 times a week"

But his problem lasted a long time and there were no stones in his kidney. But he obviously needs a change in his diet. That's why I've started to change his diet now, obviously something is making him sick, I have to practice it and see it to understand. I need to see if there is a change, if this problem persists despite the change I will understand that it has nothing to do with diet.

And yes it is necessary to reduce the pellets too. Thank you for your writing and support. Xxx

Nahhh I didn't think you were but I realised without the full explanation if anyone was looking for help in the future and read this they might think cutting out veg was the answer and I was like nooooo [emoji38][emoji38]

It definitely is as they can't seem to absorb it and the only way they get rid is through peeing it out... Seems like a really silly way of dealing with it, although maybe in the wild it works just fine because grass is probably main part of their diet!

Haha don't worry I know you didn't say that to me and thank you very much for your help, I am glad you are in my life :love: xxxx

My bridge bunny Amigo developed a large jack stone-it had points jutting out from all sides-and infection. After surgery and abx he lived many more years and never got another stone. We suspect infection caused stone to form. He became my oldest bunny. He looked like Cookie, yet smaller.
His littermate,Bonita, had same diet and never got a stone. He was another Cookie look alike. Very cute!

Yes Sometimes the reason for this can be unclear. Maybe Cookie looks just like his mother (meaning me) (I always have kidney stones):lol:
They both sound so cute, rest in peace xxx

Pellets can be made with alfalfa or hay. Alfalfa has higher calcium and more calories than hay.
Also, Reader of Books posted about special pellets for urinary health that are not available here, yet you may consider checking the posts about Casper and Sophie.

Back