• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The right time

nicki

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,
I have not posted for a long time.
I have an 11.8 year old bunny called Oliver and a lovely approximately 7 year old Gracie.
Oliver has exceeded all my expectations.
However, things are getting hard for him.
He needs daily meds for arthritis pain which is really affecting mobilisation of one leg, eye drops/cleaning for his tear duct (which is regularly flushed by the vet) and a clean to prevent urine scald as sometimes he does not have the energy to get to the litter tray and he is not lifting his leg properly due to his arthritis.
At times he is really struggling to mobilise, groom himself and is clearly in some pain but at other times he is moving quite well, very interactive with us, washing well and cuddling my other bunny. He is very hungry partly because of the pain relief meds.

So it is a difficult one, we are not there yet and will take each day as it comes.
Lovely Gracie has been fantastic for him since we rescued her three years ago - she is like having your own personal attentive nurse who cuddles and washes you all day.

Thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
Hi, I think only you will know when the time is right and as you say take it day by say, he sounds a lovely bunny.
I have two 11 year old buns myself, generally they are doing good but definitely have their ' more slower' days.
I hope Oliver continues to stay well :)

How lovely that Gracie is providing rabbity nursing care. Hope Oliver remains comfortable for as long as possible.

What are the names of the analgesics he is on ?

There are also some complimentary treatments- Acupuncture, Photobiomodulation Therapy, Physiotherapy.

He's a lucky boy to have you & Graice looking out for him. Bunnies make excellent nurses. If you can cope ok with it I don't think the level of care he needs is such an issue (although I know its exhausting long term). I hope you enjoy more time with him & that when he's had enough, or the bad days feel too sad for him, he'll let you know & you'll be there.

Thank you everyone,
I can cope and have experience of looking after sick bunnies long term but have sometimes regretted my decisions from their point of view.
Sometimes, I just worry that it is a bit of an endurance test for him and then he surprises me and I think he is comfortable and doing ok - as you would expect from an elderly bun.
He is maxed out on Meloxicam - Thanks for mentioning the alternatives.

Thank you everyone,
I can cope and have experience of looking after sick bunnies long term but have sometimes regretted my decisions from their point of view.
Sometimes, I just worry that it is a bit of an endurance test for him and then he surprises me and I think he is comfortable and doing ok - as you would expect from an elderly bun.
He is maxed out on Meloxicam - Thanks for mentioning the alternatives.

maybe your vet could consider a second pain med for his bad days.

I was in a very similar situation this year. I find slow deterioration heartbreaking and for me I worried I kept moving the goal posts without realising as she needed care for so long.

It’s such a difficult situation. I have a similar situation with my 12 year old Freda, she’s been on max loxicom for years and has struggled to keep herself clean and to move about. My vet started her on cartrophen injections a couple of years ago and they absolutely gave her a new lease of life, she was so much happier and more comfortable with the additional pain relief. Now we’re further down the line and she’s on the cartrophen as regularly as she can be we’ve also had to add in paracetamol.

Like you I just hope I know when the time is right - currently she’s definitely still got a good quality of life despite the meds and the indignity of the bum cleans. I’m sure he will let you know.

Back