• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Rabbit Storyline on ‘Eastenders’

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
I do not watch Eastenders, but apparently there is a storyline that gives a very poor Rabbit Welfare message.

From the RWAF :

‘’We are getting complaints about the East Enders story line, featuring a rabbit. This is from one of them, which sums it up perfectly, and we can't put it any better ourselves.
"I watched EastEnders with dismay last night. For no particular reason, one of the characters who is a teacher bought a single rabbit as a surprise pet for a child who had not even expressed an interest in getting a rabbit. The rabbit at least was not a lop but the dialogue in the show went on to say that if the child did not want the rabbit, then it at least could be good for eating. The reason for buying the rabbit was explained as that the teacher had heard that rabbits were good for children to learn responsibilities.
Are we happy with this messaging that the BBC is now sharing with millions of viewers? Surely all the work of the RWAF is in vain if the BBC is sharing exactly the opposite welfare message but with much greater public access."
We have contacted the BBC already, but if you are also concerned and would like to complain, here is the link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

Last edited:
Yes I saw it and my immediate thought was how the rabbit was handled and it looked very scared. It was held more like a dog/cat and stroked like one, like you'd maybe ruffle the fur of a dog. I followed the RWAF link to complain earlier.

Yes me too. It was rubbish and completely the wrong message to send about getting a rabbit.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back