• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The perfect farmhouse bunnies

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So I have three bunnies that are not exactly farmhouse bunnies... we Lamb Chop kinda is a farmhouse bunny and I suppose the other two could fit that category somewhere. I say this because all three of my bunnies are small. Lucky and Lacey are Dutch bunnies and are relatively small bunnies and Lamb Chop is a mini lop. Mini bunnies is something you see more in cities but can still look the part mixed with some larger bunnies to get that perfect balance but its not just about size but also about color, type and personalty.

I am going to take on another bunny soon who is a French Lop and she is already spayed. She would make a nice addition to my bunny family and with her in the mix I'll almost be there to having a farmhouse bunny family with a mixture of big and small bunnies. I'm also planing on adopting a neutered Continental Giant in the not so far future. So two big bunnies with 3 small bunnies I think that would be the perfect mix.

What dose your bunny family look like?

Lacey lets me cuddle her, shes such a gentle bunny, she takes a nap with me often. She can sometimes pee which isn't pleasant but other than that its all good. Lucky gets grumpy if I handle him to much and Lamb Chop just wants to bite all the time so I let him chase me about, he is always getting under my feet when I go out to feed him and change his water I have to watch my step because his so fast running around me. I can pick him up now but I still have to be careful not to get bitten.

I just have the 2 indoor bunnies, both lops around the 2.0-2.3kg mark :)

I wouldn't think mine were farmhouse bunnies either to be fair, Poppy is definitely too glam.

Billy is pretty old these days, around 10.5 now, so I'm not sure how long he has left :( he's driving me up the wall today, so it might not be particularly long :lol:

I just have the 2 indoor bunnies, both lops around the 2.0-2.3kg mark :)

I wouldn't think mine were farmhouse bunnies either to be fair, Poppy is definitely too glam.

Billy is pretty old these days, around 10.5 now, so I'm not sure how long he has left :( he's driving me up the wall today, so it might not be particularly long :lol:

Your two bunnies could maybe be classed as farmhouse bunnies, depends which way you look at it I suppose. You have two nice bunnies. I think Lamb Chop has a bit of farmhouse bunny in him. Back in the Victorian times and further into the 1900s it was mostly pure bred bunnies and larger species until recent times the mini species have become very common, particularly mini lops.

Bob Herschbach discovered the Mini Lop breed at a German National Rabbit Show in Essen, Germany in 1972, where it was known as a Klein Widder. These first Mini Lops were originated from the German Big Lop and the small Chinchilla. These two breeds came originally in Agouti and white colors.

Dutch bunnies have been around for a long time. The Dutch rabbit is said to have originated in Holland and is one of the oldest breeds. The first spotted rabbits were recorded in the fifteenth century. In 1864 the English began breeding the Dutch into the rabbit we have today. I suppose a Dutch bunny can be safely classed as a farmhouse bunny.

What's a farmhouse bunny? [emoji38]

I've got 4 buns, two the same and two very different.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

What's a farmhouse bunny? [emoji38]

I've got 4 buns, two the same and two very different.

I so wanted to ask what one is too. Tried googling images - no help whatsoever unless you want a chintzy bunny ornament from Etsy :lol:

Although the name suggests that the Dutch rabbit is from the Netherlands, it was actually developed in England. During the 1830s.

Last edited:
I so wanted to ask what one is too. Tried googling images - no help whatsoever unless you want a chintzy bunny ornament from Etsy :lol:

My idea of a farmhouse bunny is a pure breed and something that you'd see in an old farmhouse years ago, a breed that has been around since the 1800s. Everybody has there own idea of a farmhouse bunny of course.

My idea of a farmhouse bunny is a pure breed and something that you'd see in an old farmhouse years ago, a breed that has been around since the 1800s. Everybody has there own idea of a farmhouse bunny of course.

Thanks for explaining. I don't have my own idea of what one is as never heard the expression before.

I don't think mine fit into the category

Thanks for explaining. I don't have my own idea of what one is as never heard the expression before.

I don't think mine fit into the category

That is a nice spotted bunny you have there. Is your bunny an English Spot? they are beautiful bunnies and have been around since the 19th century so I'd class yours as a Farmhouse bunny most definitely.

That is a nice spotted bunny you have there. Is your bunny an English Spot? they are beautiful bunnies and have been around since the century so I'd class yours as a Farmhouse bunny most definitely.

Thank You, she was a beautiful girl, I lost her in March (she was a rescue but approx 11 years)

I now just have a dwarf lop with himalayan markings & a compact grey thing :lol:

Ah I see, Idk if rexes, a cali and spotted nethie count [emoji38]

Thank You, she was a beautiful girl, I lost her in March (she was a rescue but approx 11 years)

I now just have a dwarf lop with himalayan markings & a compact grey thing :lol:

Sorry to hear that. I was very close to rescuing an English Spot myself before I got my current rabbits.

They are too both the Cali and Rex bunnies sort of early 1900s 20's and 30s time. I can see quite a bit of Belgian Hare in Rex's. I love the Cali bunnies more American farmhouse. Both types are nice. I'd say both can easily fit the Farmhouse category. .

They are too both the Cali and Rex bunnies sort of early 1900s 20's and 30s time. I can see quite a bit of Belgian Hare in Rex's. I love the Cali bunnies more American farmhouse. Both types are nice. I'd say both can easily fit the Farmhouse category. .

I have only one rabbit, half Dutch bunny and his name is Cookie. I had some crazy experiences with Cookie. :lol: According to the records, Cookie is the first rabbit to go abroad from Turkey. I moved from Turkey to the Netherlands last year (yes, I am Turkish) :D. Since we could not find a rabbit-friendly airline to Turkey in the winter season, we traveled by car for 5 days and came to the Netherlands. It was crazy to get to the Netherlands with just 5-6 hours driving and resting at the hotel every day. And finally we are here for 1 year. :D Cookie doesn't have a partner right now, I'm still looking, I hope soon I can bond Cookie and be a mother-in-law :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the dutch bunnies. I wish I could move to Scandinavia. I'm half Irish and half American but live in London UK. I couldn't imagine how I would take my bunnies with me if I were to move somewhere they'd be too naughty or get very stressed. I have no plans to move... yet The UK is going down hill quite fast so maybe some day I will move and take my bunnies with me.

I love the dutch bunnies. I wish I could move to Scandinavia. I'm half Irish and half American but live in London UK. I couldn't imagine how I would take my bunnies with me if I were to move somewhere they'd be too naughty or get very stressed. I have no plans to move... yet The UK is going down hill quite fast so maybe some day I will move and take my bunnies with me.

When you have to, people take them with you in every way, if you move one day, make sure you take them with you somehow.
Also Scandinavia? Ohh noo why north when there is the Mediterranean :( :lol:

Back