• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Christmas Bunny Film

I thought that too, I used to breed and have never seen a mother attempt to pick up their babies, if a newborn goes out of the nest quite often it's left there and dies. The only time I would dream of scruffing is if the rabbit was stuck somewhere awkward and that was the only way to lift them out.

From the RWAF website - 'A study has shown that ‘scruffing’ rabbits - holding by loose skin on back of the neck to handle them - can be stressful. ' the reason they don't kick out is probably because they're scared

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/5-2/scruffing.html

I also know many exhibitors are against scruffing because it can loosen the skin or something around the neck

Thank you.....to be honest I don't think I would stand a chance of doing with my two anyway! I'll stick to my usual way of picking them up.

i love this film, although agree with the scruffing, a not to do with bunnies, thats the bit that bothered me

i love this film, although agree with the scruffing, a not to do with bunnies, thats the bit that bothered me

This :) I watched it last night snuggled with Boris and some lindt choccies :love: I did get quite teary though but it is a happy ending. x

I think scruffing has been discussed on here before and the general consensus is that it's definitely the wrong way to handle a rabbit! Rabbits should always have their bums/back end fully supported to prevent them struggling and kicking and potentially injuring their backs! The weight of an adult rabbit is considerably more than a baby bunny and to be picked up by the scruff must be painful and scary, almost like they'd been grabbed by a predator!! You can see the rabbit in the film panic and struggle on a few occasions! I wasn't happy with the vet not providing any meds for not eating no mention of painkiller considering it was supposed to have broken a leg and the fact it was allowed to let it's broken leg heal on it's own?!

I've only scruffed Sharik once, and that was to lift her out of the toilet bowl when she launched herself into the toilet and got her bum stuck - was no other way unfortunately, but I could tell it was painful for her - she is a heavy one so must have been really uncomfortable :roll:

Back