• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe feeding sadness and support

My bunny Tiny, who is a Belgian hare cross rex is off his food :(

And has been off his food on and off since last Saturday, so almost a week.

He's been to the vet twice, and has meds, I'm syringe feeding him with his meds and food.

He hates it, I hate it. He gets so stressed and it makes me so sad.

I guess I just need a little support during this time. He due back at the vets tomorrow at 11am.

But I'm worried about him. He is eating herbs and other greens, but shows no interest in his usual pellets or hay.

Tonight he had his meds ok, but spat out most of the food I tried to give him.

Straight after that in his hutch he was very happy to eat dill.

I've offered him so many foods, but there's very few he wants to eat. I just want him to get well :(

Sorry to hear Tiny is poorly :( It's horrible when are little Poppets are unwell. Will he eat recovery food straight from the plate? or moistened pellets? Has your vet considered dental issues?

I'm sorry I found giving medicine to my bunny heartbreaking. She hated it, got incredibly scared and worked up so hated me it was truly awful. In fact giving my bunny the medicine that was supposed to make her feel better was actually making her worse cos she was so stressed all the time, we decided stop and she started eating more! I know how you feel. I really hope it gets better for you soon

Trying to syringe feed a rabbit who doesn't want the syringe food is very stressful for you and him. If Tiny will eat herbs and greens then, if I were you, I would try increasing the variety of "green-type" foods. If he won't eat hay, have you tried hand-cut grass or readigrass? Both of these are just as good for digestive and dental health as hay. I would also try natural forage and rabbit-safe tree leaves, as both of these will add fibre and interest to his diet. Have you tried snipping off a lot of blackberry leaves and offering these? Many rabbits like them and they are very good for digestion. If you can access an apple tree, the leaves and bark might tempt him. Willow leaves and bark are also liked by most rabbits.

I would also try adding some vegetable or fruit based Ellas Kitchen Baby food to his syringe food. I have never tried this, but several here have and found that their rabbit will actually take this out of a bowl.

I hope the vet visit goes well this morning. What examinations/tests has the vet performed?

Let us know how you get on. We are here to listen and provide ideas and support when we can. Tiny looks lovely btw.

Has the Vet ruled out Dental problems ? If your Rabbit has a sore mouth then she is likely to go off hard feed/hay. A Rabbit with a sore mouth will also find being syringe fed to be stressful as they wont want anyone messing with their sore mouth.

I hope that the Vet can ascertain the primary cause of your Rabbits anorexia and that he/she can help her feel much better x

My bunny Tiny, who is a Belgian hare cross rex is off his food :(

And has been off his food on and off since last Saturday, so almost a week.

He's been to the vet twice, and has meds, I'm syringe feeding him with his meds and food.

He hates it, I hate it. He gets so stressed and it makes me so sad.

I guess I just need a little support during this time. He due back at the vets tomorrow at 11am.

But I'm worried about him. He is eating herbs and other greens, but shows no interest in his usual pellets or hay.

Tonight he had his meds ok, but spat out most of the food I tried to give him.

Straight after that in his hutch he was very happy to eat dill.

I've offered him so many foods, but there's very few he wants to eat. I just want him to get well :(

So sorry to hear this, it's a real worry :(

Has your vet had a really good look inside his mouth? Has he had any dental issues in the past? It's most often teeth that cause an ongoing non-eating problem. If tooth spur is sticking into his tongue or cheek that ca cause too much pain for them to eat.

Please let us know how you get on at the vets today.

Good luck and thinking of you xx

Im really sorry to hear your little one isn't too well at the moment, I know the feeling of the stressful syringe feeding. Like others, I'd make sure he hasn't got any dental issues.

Sending lots of vibes to you both

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all your kind words and advice.

Tiny is somewhat better today, he ate some hay overnight and his poops are a little bigger with hay in. I have also increased his greens and have been feeding him often, as he lives with his wifebun I need to make sure it's him that gets the greens.

My vet is rabbit savvy and had a good look at his teeth and says he has no problems there and his mouth isn't sore, thankfully.

Todays vet visit was a waste of time, I assumed I was seeing my vet as she booked the appointment, but it was just the vet doing the Saturday rota, who wasn't rabbit savvy. He advised I should try his normal pellets mixed with water, and if he hadn't eaten any by tonight to contact the OOH vet. All stuff I would've done anyway :roll: £35 down the drain!

Anyway, the good news is he has been eating regularly through the day today, I bought him lots of different greens today. So he's had broccoli, kale and strawberry leaves. I have put in his normal pellets mixed with water and Ella's kitchen carrot, he didn't really show interest in it but I've left it in there and hope he eats it overnight.

Just now I've taken out kale, broccoli stem, strawberry leaves, coriander and basil and he tucked into it :love:

I will check on him before bed and take something else out too.

So he has 3 types of hay plus readigrass in his hutch, along with the greens I've just put out. And the pellet mix with carrot. So hopefully he'll be munching away throughout the night.

I will be sourcing some blackberry leaves and apple leaves. I also read yesterday blackthorn (sloe) is good for them, along with raspberry leaves so I'll be finding some of those too. Hoping to have a couple of those in my garden so it's on hand, and I can feed regularly.

I'm feeling a lot more hopeful than last night. Thanks again everyone :)

So today he's much more alert, and has been hopping around the garden like his normal self. :love:

Although he's still not eating pellets, he is eating greens throughout the day without prompting from me, so it seems like he's over the worst now. So relieved :)

So today he's much more alert, and has been hopping around the garden like his normal self. :love:

Although he's still not eating pellets, he is eating greens throughout the day without prompting from me, so it seems like he's over the worst now. So relieved :)

<Phew> glad to hear it!

They do worry us!!

Glad to hear that he's doing better now. Is he pooping OK ?

Glad to hear that he's doing better now. Is he pooping OK ?

His poops are getting better, the sticky poop he had in the week has cleared up and they are getting back to normal. Still not as big as they were but now he's eating hay and grass I'm sure they'll be getting bigger over the next few days.

Got to love poop watch, we're all obsessed with poop :lol:

His poops are getting better, the sticky poop he had in the week has cleared up and they are getting back to normal. Still not as big as they were but now he's eating hay and grass I'm sure they'll be getting bigger over the next few days.

Got to love poop watch, we're all obsessed with poop :lol:

To quote Bunny Magoo:

"We all love a golden boulder" :lol:

Back