• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected gi statisis or stress

I doubt he'll make it through the night but am sending him loads of love.... and healing vibes......

Fee x

thank u it means a lot to her i know he means a lot to her. she rescued him when he was baby from a bad pet shop and hes been a well loved pet ever since.

ive told her he cud do with going now if she can cause his chances of surving the nite are not very good. i said it wud be better if she cud tempt him to eat anything and a bit of water.

If he means a lot to her she'll find a way to get him examined tonight. He is in pain.

A rabbit not eating is never "nothing", even if it started as stress it's enough to trigger stasis.

Twelve hours is a long time. If my rabbits act ill like that I won't leave them for more than an hour before I'm phoning the vet to take them in.

Rabbits not eating is serious. They are designed to graze, it's why they need hay. If they're not grazing, their guts are shutting down and the longer it's left the harder it'll be to get him better.

shes told me hes not pooed since 7. is there anything she can do if its a blockage?

i have some good news to report whether its enough to save him until tmmorow. shes managed to get some food in him and hes perked up a bit start moving around cage and standing up as well.

she says its happened once before and tht was when there pet ferret got into the house. but hes firmly outside and looked up and has been like tht all day. so she doesnt know if something has spooked him today and if so wat.

If he has stopped pooping then please please please tell her not to force feed anything as if it is bloat she could kill the poor bun.

I really think he needs to see a vet NOW, I know it is late but the poor bun sounds really poorly and the biting at the sides sounds like the poor thing is in agony :( there are out of hours vets,,yes they charge more but that is the responsibility you take on when you have a pet. I have phoned an out of hours vet at 2am before.

She needs to go to a vet ASAP, my first rabbit stopped eating in the morning and was dead by noon. He had been perfectly happy the night before, but the vet discovered a large blockage in his gut and because of how quickly it had progressed there was nothing we could do. These are the things that cannot wait.

In the mean time your friend could try gently massaging his stomach, if he is in too much pain though she shouldn't. Gentle is key and she must pay attention to his body language.

Get this poor rabbit to a vet ASAP! you and your friend don't seem to realise how serious this is,you just can't wait and see when a bun is showing these symptoms.:(

Poor bunny I got my bunny eating but still went to the vets and she didn't make it so tell her bunny still needs to see a vet ASAP :thumb: can I just ask how old you guys are please :)

Any update on little bun.....? Did things go ok? I really really hope so

Fee x

Any update on little bun.....? Did things go ok? I really really hope so

Fee x

srry people been a bit busy.

The bunny is perfectly alright. hes back to normal ive told her to be careful and if its happens again to get him straight in cause she might not be so lucky next time.

ive told her to give him some probiotic c powder from pets at home and give him tht in his water.

i only suggested this cause ive heard it sort of gives there stomach a bit of a boost. ive used it with scooter before as well as my hamster before he died.

but she doesnt know wat set him off the other day. he woke her mom and dad up in middle of night he was thumping quite a lot and loudly.

Poor bunny I got my bunny eating but still went to the vets and she didn't make it so tell her bunny still needs to see a vet ASAP :thumb: can I just ask how old you guys are please :)

im coming up 21 and she is coming up 20 in a couple of month. we both did a animal care course in college thts how we know each and i also cut her rabbits nails for her regularly.

Just be careful that the probiotic powder doesn't have sugar in it, some do and it's liable to make the problem worse. I use the Protexin Pellets instead.

The behaviour that your friend's rabbit is exhibiting is not normal.

He may seem 'better' at the moment - but I think he needs to be seen by a vet. Why risk a bunny's life for the sake of a vet visit?

The behaviour that your friend's rabbit is exhibiting is not normal.

He may seem 'better' at the moment - but I think he needs to be seen by a vet. Why risk a bunny's life for the sake of a vet visit?

there has been unusual behaviour since she told me hes definately made up for the food hes missed hes eaten nearly 2 medium piles of hay today along with some veg and some of his pellets. :D and left a pile of droppings for her to clean as well as a couple of strays here and there. hes been drinking as well.

hes back to his usual grumpy self as well. :)

there has been unusual behaviour since she told me hes definately made up for the food hes missed hes eaten nearly 2 medium piles of hay today along with some veg and some of his pellets. :D and left a pile of droppings for her to clean as well as a couple of strays here and there. hes been drinking as well.

hes back to his usual grumpy self as well. :)

even so ive told her to keep an eye out for anything unusual even if its a weirdly deformed poo.

Back