• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death of mother rabbit - 3 week old babies left behind.

honeybun90

Young Bun
Hi.

I am working away and my partner has just contacted me saying that our 1 year old doe has suddenly died. He heard a loud bang in the hutch, went to check and she wouldn’t not stand up and was rolling around, after being on the phone with me for 5 minutes she had passed away :(

She has 4 kits that are 3 weeks and 1 day old. Obviously they were still nursing off mum but we had recently introduced them to junior pellets. I don’t want them to die too! We have a pets at home down the road, what can we buy to replace her milk??? And can we put it in a Bowl for them to drink from or will it have to be syringed??

Any help would be deeply appreciated!!!

Hello, firstly I'm so sorry about your Doe :cry: Was she vaccinated as it was a sudden death?

Regarding the kits, I have no experience, but there are forum members who have raised kits and so I have requested that your thread be moved to Health, where it will hopefully get more views.

I am so sorry your Doe has died. At three weeks old the babies should now be nibbling at the food Mum would have been eating. If you watch them hopefully you will see they are eating Pellets and a little bit of Hay but I wouldn't feed any veg at this moment, not until they are quite a bit older. Also try to make sure they can reach the water bottle. If they are outside give them plenty of bedding as they can no longer cuddle up to Mum. I hope they will survive and please let us know how they get on.

Hi.

I am working away and my partner has just contacted me saying that our 1 year old doe has suddenly died. He heard a loud bang in the hutch, went to check and she wouldn’t not stand up and was rolling around, after being on the phone with me for 5 minutes she had passed away :(

She has 4 kits that are 3 weeks and 1 day old. Obviously they were still nursing off mum but we had recently introduced them to junior pellets. I don’t want them to die too! We have a pets at home down the road, what can we buy to replace her milk??? And can we put it in a Bowl for them to drink from or will it have to be syringed??

Any help would be deeply appreciated!!!

Very sorry to hear of the tragic loss of the Doe.:cry:

With regards to her Kits are they all eating hay, a few pellets and drinking independently ? At 3 weeks they should have started to do so. But you will need to be 100% certain and also be 100% certain that they know how to use a water sipper bottle and that it is placed low enough for them to reach. If you are not certain that they know how to use the bottle then provide a small shallow bowl. Do not fill the bowl too deeply. If the bowl is too big and filled too deeply they will climb in it. Aspiration of water/drowning can occur

I would only supplement feed with a milk substitute if the kits are not eating and drinking independently. If they are not eating for themselves then first try offering a substitute milk from a small shallow bowl or dish rather than syringe feeding it.I have used Luke warm Full fat Goats Milk with an added probiotic in the past. Syringe feeding comes with risks of the kits aspirating the feed. They are unlikely to suckle from a feeding nipple at this age. But only give a milk substitute if they are not already eating and drinking independently. Substitute milk feeding is not without risks and there is the potential of it causing serious GI tract problems.

Do not feed any fresh veg,fruit or grass until they are at least 10-12 weeks of age. Grass at this time of year is going to be especially rich and if they gorge on it they are likely to get bloat. So if their accommodation includes a grass based run be mindful of this fact.

You will need to weigh each kit every couple of days to make sure they are gaining weight. Keep a very close eye on their poo output. The slightest sign of wet soft fecal poo, mucus and/or diarrhoea then this requires emergency Vet treatment.

You will need to provide additional warm bedding in their nest area, but leave some of the old bedding that will have their Mother’s scent on it. Try to keep their environment and routine consistent. This helps reduce additional stress.

Going back to the Doe, was she vaccinated ? If not and her death was sudden and unexpected then sadly RHD has to be a strong possibility. Even more sadly this would mean the kits are likely to succumb too over the next few days. They are two young to be vaccinated yet, the vaccine can be given from 5 weeks of age though.

If the Doe was with an entire Buck or a Buck who had only just been neutered (ie less than 6 weeks ago) when she gave birth she was likely to be carrying a second litter. So another possible cause of her sudden death is pregnancy toxaemia.

I hope the kits will all survive

RIP Mummy Bunny :cry:

Hi all, sorry not replying sooner. I’m very sad to say that all of the babies passed away last Friday night/Saturday morning (around 24/36 hours after their mother had passed) :(. We don’t know whether she was ill and passed it onto the babies (I know some of you had asked if the mother was vaccinated - she wasn’t. I had enquired about this when I took the buck in to get neutered and the veterinary nurse said she has rabbits but hasn’t got them vaccinated as they live in an urban area the same as us. But don’t’ fear, I will be getting my bunnies vaccinated as soon as possible just to be on the safe side! I also don’t know whether one of the babies had passed and it stressed out the other babies (I noticed one of them wasn’t moving around as much as the other the night before they passed). I’m guessing it might have also been because the buck was stressed from his partner passing and not knowing how to help the babies and stressed them out? I know he didn’t attack them as I checked them all for marks and there was absolutely nothing. Maybe it was from the kitten replacement milk we tried syringe feeding them? I don’t know, they are are in a better place now and back with their mother and knowing that helps me cope :)

Now, onto the buck. My partner and I didn’t want him to die from loneliness, we went out and got an 11 week old doe (keeping them seperate in a 2 tier hutch using the ladder to divide the hutch and using old tea towels for them to mark with their scents then we swap the tea towels over a couple of times a day so they get used to each others scent). We’ve done this for a week and yesterday let them meet each other for the first time. At first they were a bit unsure but have come on leaps and bounds, sharing food, grooming each other and sleeping next to each other. When would be a good time for them to try living with each other? What’s the best way to introduce them both into the hutch together and what to do if this doesn’t work right away?

Here is a picture of both of them together in our living room, he Buck is white (called Scruffy) and doe is black (called Winnie).

N9HxXtG.jpg

Sorry for the rambly post but wanted to fill you all in on what’s been going on!

Many thanks for all of your guys’ help on the litter, it was very much appreciated. Sorry I didn’t get back to you all individually but I was so focused on everything else!

honeybun90 x

Would the buck not have caught it too though if if was RHD that killed the mother and babies? He went to the vet about a week before the mother passed because he wasn’t eating and was given pain killer and a medicine to get his gut working again.

Is your Buck neutered? Does can get pregnant from 12 weeks old which is far too young as she wouldn't be able to sustain a pregnancy as she is still growing. Was the Buck with the babies?

My buck is neutered so that’s not a concern. Yes he was living with the babies but mostly stayed in the top bedroom while they were down in the bottom. I’m hoping to get both rabbits vaccinated as soon as possible.

If they both have the disease in their system, will the vaccination still work?

I would get both rabbits vaccinated as a matter of urgency (ie tomorrow, if possible). RHD is a silent killer and annual vaccination is the only protection. There's a good chance that mum and babies had it. It takes about a couple of weeks for immunity to kick in from the vaccination.

The buck will still be fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neutering. The girl can be neutered from about 6 months old. The bond may change as she approaches adolescence, and there's still a risk of pregnancy in a very young rabbit, which isn't in her best interests. Long term, she would also have a high risk (around 80%) of uterine cancer by about 4 years old if she remains entire. Neutering her when she's old enough will give the best outcome, and hopefully a long and happy pairing.

Would the vaccination work though if they both have the disease? I’m going to ring my vet first thing in the morning and get them booked in!

The buck was neutered on 19th December so nearly 9 weeks ago. Also he has not mounted her at all (we have kept a very close eye on both of them while they have been indoors bonding).

We will get the doe spayed when she is old enough.

honeybun90 x

Would the buck not have caught it too though if if was RHD that killed the mother and babies? He went to the vet about a week before the mother passed because he wasn’t eating and was given pain killer and a medicine to get his gut working again.

The vaccine might not save her if it was RHD, but it would be a slight chance that it might. You need to request the FILAVAC as an immune response is achieved in 7 days. The Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus takes 21 days to obtain a full immune response. You will still need the Nobivac given 2+ weeks after the FILAVAC to insure cover for Myxomatosis. FILAVAC only covers RHD1+2.

This information gives details of how a suspected RHD outbreak should be managed

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...c-disease/how-to-deal-with-an-outbreak-of-rhd

That was a lot of random letters for my tiny brain to process but think I managed it! So I need to ask for the FILAVAC and go back two weeks after for the Nobivac? Many thanks!

honeybun90 x

A different litter, same parents. We seperated them using the ladder in the hutch but stupidily don’t screw it down and he got in with the mum again.

honeybun90 x

Back