• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit dying naturally of old age?

heleni

Warren Scout
Does anyone know what are the signs of imminent natural death due to old age in rabbits? If there even are any.

My old rabbit of 11yrs old now lives in the dining room, since the end of November. Since then he has mainly stayed in one area where there are mats, a little house, litter trays etc and where we feed him (initial experiments with feeding further away led to too many puddles!) However, in the last week or two, he keeps emerging beyond this area and going beneath the sofa and other furniture, where there is a gap of about 5 inches height but where he's never been before. He is eating a bit less, or perhaps more accurately not eating as much in one go, though the food does mainly get eaten but over a longer time period. He is pooing, a bit smaller than normal but plenty, and weeing, perhaps a bit less continent than before but not significantly so.

Maybe now that he's discovered these low areas he just enjoys sitting in them, as he feels sheltered and secure, but I also wonder if he might be on his way out, given he is quite elderly. He is not in any obvious pain, but I don't feel I can take him to the vet: "hi Mr Vet, my rabbit is sitting in a different place to usual and taking longer to eat his food". Also, if he is getting to the end of his natural life, I don't want to extend it through vet intervention, nor have him put to sleep if he's not there yet as I don't think he is suffering in any way. But it would be nice to know if this might be normal towards the end of life - although I've had long lived rabbits before, they've generally been ill before they died.

What you are describing could easily be normal behaviour. Rabbits often seek out hides when out and about. Whilst you say he isn’t showing obvious signs of pain the very fact that you are noticing a behaviour change, a change in his eating and pooping habits *might* actually be indicators of pain. Possibly some age related arthritis.

A Rabbit Savvy Vet would not think it odd to be consulted about this type of thing. They would be well aware of the fact that as a prey species Rabbits hide pain, behaviour changes, changes in eating and pooping might be the only thing noticed. If age related arthritis were to be the case then a daily dose of a non steroidal anti inflammatory would help him to feel more comfortable.

Personally I would want him checked over by a Rabbit Savvy Vet to make sure that his twighlight years are pain free. It’s not possible to give you a 100% answer as to whether your Rabbit is coming to the end of his life or not without the additional benefit of a clinical examination.

Thank you InspectorMorse. The little :censored: has just wee'ed under the sofa but this has reminded me that the vet gave me some Metacam last time to give to him as and when required, given his advancing years. He is definitely slower moving than before, so I will try him on that and see if it helps.

Hi, I’ve got a 12 year old, and he has a number of issues but still gets on ok. I echo what IM has said, rabbits tend to hide when they are in pain. My bunny did this before his respiratory issue was diagnosed, and on other occasions. I’d personally get him checked out by a rabbit savvy vet, to see whether he’s in pain.

Sounds like my bunny Daisy, I had her checked last week as her back legs are weaker but she's happy. Eating, drinking and pooing normally, she's nearly 12.
Vet checked her last week and says theres no obvious signs of arthritis and is doing well.for her age but has given her anti inflamatories to take. She's taken to sitting in her box most of the time watching the world go by and be waited on hand and foot!
We'll know when the 'time is right' but for the moment she's happy enough :)

A vet visit is a goid idea. Puddles can be from a variety of issues including UTI or bladder sludge, as well as arthritis. Many can remain happy even as their activity slows.
Sending positive vibes.

Was he an outdoor Bunny before November as maybe he is finding it very different indoors. Just an idea!

Thanks everyone, I have booked him an appointment tomorrow at the vet, as his breathing was also getting a little laboured. The puddles are, unfortunately, normal for him, we checked that out previously re kidneys etc and the vet thought he was maybe getting bit confused given his age.

He has been put on the lawn today since about 10am and from a distance looks almost like he's made a full recovery! He is wandering around, eating, not lifting his nose to breathe. I will see what he is like when he comes in at dusk, but will take him to the vet anyway. Maybe there is something inside that is disagreeing with him now the weather is warming up, or maybe he is missing the outdoors as yes he has always been an outdoors bunny before. We only brought him in as he was ill in the autumn and alone after his partner died 18 months ago and we didn't expect he'd live all that much longer. We dont want to get more rabbits after he goes, but he just keeps going!

Good news that Rupert now seems to be back to himself (still determined not to die, ever). The vet checked him out and found a slight crackle on one lung, so he is on baytril for the week. His weight is stable since his last visit in December, and he is back to eating and pooing in normal quantities. Not pleased at being given his medicine by my husband while I was away for a couple of days though, apparently my husband doesn't have the knack!

Good news that Rupert now seems to be back to himself (still determined not to die, ever). The vet checked him out and found a slight crackle on one lung, so he is on baytril for the week. His weight is stable since his last visit in December, and he is back to eating and pooing in normal quantities. Not pleased at being given his medicine by my husband while I was away for a couple of days though, apparently my husband doesn't have the knack!

Glad to hear that he is doing OK again now x

Back