• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

.. stress, stress, stress

I've found some bunnies prefer to eat it off a spoon which is something you could try, its like some bunnies don't like putting noses in wet food. mousey eats more if I snip Thyme (one of her favourites) in to it, or coriander

Vibes for Gilbert

Well I was reading through all the posts and a spoon was what I was going to suggest. I needed to get some syringe-feed into one of my rabbits the day before yesterday and it didn't go well. Tried offering it on a plate....no. Tried as a last resort on the spoon and he became massively excited and scoffed the lot :D

I have just mixed recovery food and returned to try him with a spoon and caught him nibbling some dried plantain. That's a relief. It didn't last long but he was enthusiastic.

Urm, mixed messages :? Barnaby was in stasis this morning and went to the vets, admitted for x-ray etc, when I asked about hospitalisation overnight the vet said it was too early to say (not a definite 'no'). He has done quite well from the "this isn't surgical" point of view and blood glucose now back down to 6. He's not eating. Another vet, who has been looking after him all day, weighed up with me the pros and cons of him staying in rather than coming home and between us decided he should be admitted overnight... not sure what was going on last week with Gilbert then....

I hope Barnaby will recover overnight. I assume this is the Practice that has 24/7 cover or did you have to take him to nother Practice ?

I hope Barnaby will recover overnight. I assume this is the Practice that has 24/7 cover or did you have to take him to nother Practice ?

No 24/7. Someone will check him late in the evening then he's alone til morning. If the nurse who checks late on is worried she can ring the vet who will go back and do surgery or whatever needed. The vet is very experienced with rabbits and felt as he was eating a little bit of hay and looking bright and it never looked surgical to her ... etc that it was better to do it that way so they could assess, medicate him etc tomorrow without me having to trail him about. They've never had anyone there 24/7 but did do OOH previously. It's a very tough judgement call.

Lots of vibes for Barnaby, I hope he's eating for himself v soon

Thanks

Quite shocked to realise when I checked that Barney is 9 years and 8 months old :shock:

Last edited:
Thanks for the vibes. Barnaby is doing well and provisional plan for him to come home this evening, they are monitoring and medicating today and finalising plan mid afternoon.

Thanks for the vibes. Barnaby is doing well and provisional plan for him to come home this evening, they are monitoring and medicating today and finalising plan mid afternoon.

Super news :love: I'm so pleased for Barnaby and for you :love:

good news.

and yes, referring to your thread, bunnies = stress, either fearing what might happen or fearing what is happening

Barnaby is doing well. He's staying in though (I could have insisted he come home but collecting him tomorrow would be easier and I don't think he will be too fussed either way and it will be easier for them to get meds etc into him). I'm also intending to do a refit of his pen and not even started yet so I get more time. I think it's loose stools they were concerned about, it was a poor line and the nurse who I don't know was difficult to follow. I got told that "the vet" (not named) who has been in charge of his care would rather be on the safe side and monitor him for another day.

Back