• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw / Hay bulk buy

Thanks again everyone :wave:

I went to Asda and got some herbs for them. I thought I might put a handful in with their hay tomorrow and mix it all up for a change for them :)

Just a note, as they havent had anything other than dandies and grass which are fresh before, and as their tummies arent in the best shape, I'd be more wary than giving a whole handful straight away.

I gave them a couple of leaves of fresh thyme last night and they loved it! Only 2 leaves each (don't want to upset their tummies!)

They snaffled it up :D

I'm a bit confused about the hay for pets site. It says meadow hay 1.8 kilos is £8.00. It costs £2.20 for 2 kilos of compressed meadow hay from Wilkos :?

Is it just me having a senior moment?? :oops::oops:

I gave them a couple of leaves of fresh thyme last night and they loved it! Only 2 leaves each (don't want to upset their tummies!)

I'm a bit confused about the hay for pets site. It says meadow hay 1.8 kilos is £8.00. It costs £2.20 for 2 kilos of compressed meadow hay from Wilkos :?

Postage in included in the price, which is why for the small bags it works out a lot. I get the biggest bags as they are great value.

How big are the big bags? Like how long would it last two bunnies?

9.5kg, which is half a regular bale, so depends how much hay your buns eat and if youre using it for beds etc. I dont tend to use it as my only hay anymore so I couldnt say for sure, but I think its about a month if used only for eating?

9.5kg, which is half a regular bale, so depends how much hay your buns eat and if youre using it for beds etc. I dont tend to use it as my only hay anymore so I couldnt say for sure, but I think its about a month if used only for eating?

Aye, only for eating :) Indoor bunsters so no bedding as such. Thanks, will maybe try it the next time I am getting hay.....I usually get it from dust free hay, but it has not been as dust free as usual recently!

Buy the 9.5kg bag for £16, I guarantee it'll be far better quality hay than from Wilkos ;) It would probably last you a month of just over, depending on how much hay your buns ate (and I assume you're just using for eating not bedding)

Plus, Wilko meadow hay could be bagged for months before it's bought and used, whereas H4P bag the hay just before it is sent out, ensuring freshness :D

I've just ordered 9.5 kilos of the Meadow Hay. Will see if my babies like it :D

I bought that one:D 2 weeks later and it looks like I haven't even touched it :lol: Even though I clean out and top up their litter tray and hay racks everyday :lol: I ordered Leo the medium (4.5) one (only so we can fit it in his room :lol:) because he is running very low :shock: He was quite upset he only got 2 handfuls last night.. (he does have other hay too but H4P is his favourite :D)

I bought the medium timothy hay too and still have that as I only put a handful in everyday because they love it and seeing as I just spent a lot on hay I won't buy any yet :lol: Ings hay next anyway! :thumb:

I bought that one:D 2 weeks later and it looks like I haven't even touched it :lol: Even though I clean out and top up their litter tray and hay racks everyday :lol: I ordered Leo the medium (4.5) one (only so we can fit it in his room :lol:) because he is running very low :shock: He was quite upset he only got 2 handfuls last night.. (he does have other hay too but H4P is his favourite :D)

I bought the medium timothy hay too and still have that as I only put a handful in everyday because they love it and seeing as I just spent a lot on hay I won't buy any yet :lol: Ings hay next anyway! :thumb:

:wave: I hope mine like it!! I'm v confused about the fact that the Timothy Hay was cheaper than the Meadow Hay :? It was £16 for Meadow Hay for 9.5 kilos and £15 for Timothy 9.5 kilos! I might get them that next time... We shall see! What's Ings Hay like? I think it's nice to give them a bit of variety.

When I was at ASDA last night I got those bags of fresh herbs (usually 50p) for 2 pence!! They were going out of date yesterday so I got bags of thyme & dill. I bought coriander and basil plants for the kitchen windowsill too :D

Just a thought though if your bunnies love herbs, get to ASDA at about 8 pm at night, they reduce everything in the salad / fresh section! :thumb:

:wave: I hope mine like it!! I'm v confused about the fact that the Timothy Hay was cheaper than the Meadow Hay :? It was £16 for Meadow Hay for 9.5 kilos and £15 for Timothy 9.5 kilos! I might get them that next time... We shall see! What's Ings Hay like? I think it's nice to give them a bit of variety.

When I was at ASDA last night I got those bags of fresh herbs (usually 50p) for 2 pence!! They were going out of date yesterday so I got bags of thyme & dill. I bought coriander and basil plants for the kitchen windowsill too :D

Just a thought though if your bunnies love herbs, get to ASDA at about 8 pm at night, they reduce everything in the salad / fresh section! :thumb:

My mom does that at Morrisons :D but when I've passed my driving test I'll be having late night trips out for bunny treats :lol:

Megansmummy has bought the Ings hay and said her girls love it so I'm going to buy that one next time :D the Timothy hay is nice and stalky and smells nice :D I think it's totally worth the money though :) It's all I buy now apart from the ASDA hay as an absorbency layer at the bottom :) they don't eat it but for £4 and lasts about a month just to pad it out works well I find :)

My mom does that at Morrisons :D but when I've passed my driving test I'll be having late night trips out for bunny treats :lol:

Megansmummy has bought the Ings hay and said her girls love it so I'm going to buy that one next time :D the Timothy hay is nice and stalky and smells nice :D I think it's totally worth the money though :) It's all I buy now apart from the ASDA hay as an absorbency layer at the bottom :) they don't eat it but for £4 and lasts about a month just to pad it out works well I find :)

I'm going to try lining their hutch with newspaper now rather than sawdust as I've heard how bad that is. Think I'll still put straw in their bed area cos they love snuggling down in it :D Trying to keep them on a very healthy diet now! Don't want fat bunnies :lol:

Back