• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw / Hay bulk buy

It's all about learning :wave: I fed Poppy like that for at least 3 years until I joined this forum :( I blame myself for her teeth problems more than her genetics because although I apgave her hay she never ate it, only pellets :(

Bring the food down, I feed Donny and Lola a small handful between them now :) make sure they have loads of hay and it will get better :)

Thank you :wave: I shouted at my OH for "starving" them when I left them in his care. I now realise he was doing a better job than me!! He was giving them a handful a day between them... that made them eat more hay.. Wow all makes sense now.

Luckily I had a look at their teeth last week and they're perfect so hopefully I can now quit my bad habits before it has any negative effect on them!

I know it can be tempting to do this, but pellets should really be seen as a treat. They should be gone within a few mins of putting them down. Feeding ad-lib pellets will a) make them fat which ups the risk of fly strike etc, and b) reduces the ammount of hay they are going to eat because they have filled up on nommy pellets, which will increase teeth problems.
Don't worry, you won't have done them any long term harm. If I were you, I would gradually reduce their pellets down to 4 egg cup fulls a day between them, and look at changing the pellets over to higher fibre mix.
Just make sure they have lots of hay to eat, they will never be hungry so long as they have this (even if their 'sad eyes' tell you their starving!) You could also look at getting some apple sticks fot them to chew on - if you look at the Fundraising section on here Fluffers sells them. They are great natural treats, good for teeth, and boredom breakers!
Try not to beat yourself up about it - just implement the changes and well done you for seeking advice on how to improve your buns diet!

Those pellets are higher in protein and lower in fibre than others, but the pellet should only be a minimal part to their diet. You could gradually change the pellets over to science selective or similar, and reduce the amount. I would just feed the pellets that you have to use them up, but mix in the one you change it to as they are running out.

As others have said, just cut out the sugary treats. Dried dandelion, plantain, apple branches etc are fab to have as treats. Even fresh Dandelions are about just now :)

Awww, it's all about learning. :)
I would just reduce the pellets, having too many when they're young isn't really a problem as they're growing which the extra protein is probably really good for, but they need lots of fibre in their diet. Slowly give them less and less pellets until they have about a handful a day and see if they eat more hay. The more hay they eat the better for their teeth and stomachs. If you do want to swap their food over do it over the course of a few weeks, slowly adding more of the new food and less of the old food.

But it's all about the hay. :wave:

I know it can be tempting to do this, but pellets should really be seen as a treat. They should be gone within a few mins of putting them down. Feeding ad-lib pellets will a) make them fat which ups the risk of fly strike etc, and b) reduces the ammount of hay they are going to eat because they have filled up on nommy pellets, which will increase teeth problems.
Don't worry, you won't have done them any long term harm. If I were you, I would gradually reduce their pellets down to 4 egg cup fulls a day between them, and look at changing the pellets over to higher fibre mix.
Just make sure they have lots of hay to eat, they will never be hungry so long as they have this (even if their 'sad eyes' tell you their starving!) You could also look at getting some apple sticks fot them to chew on - if you look at the Fundraising section on here Fluffers sells them. They are great natural treats, good for teeth, and boredom breakers!
Try not to beat yourself up about it - just implement the changes and well done you for seeking advice on how to improve your buns diet!

Thanks so much :wave: I feel lots better about it now. I need to apologise to Charlie for kicking off at him for "starving" them! I would like to swap their pellets to something a bit better for them but I'm so nervous about changing their food over, I've heard it can be catastrophic and make them ill etc. What herbs etc are good for them? I sometimes pick a handful of grass and dandelion leaves and put that in their second bowl (pellets in bowl number 1) for them to munch on through the day.

In your opinions - do you think I should introduce a bit of carrot / apple etc? Other people have told me they think they're old enough now but I'm not sure.

That food is 17% protein and 14% fibre. I'd reduce the amount you are feeding, although dont take it down to 1-2 tablespoons a day like the RWAF reccommend just yet, as one needs extra pellets as she is still young - maybe 1-2 handfuls between them till she's 4 months? I would definately change brand soon, Supreme's science selective or fibafirst would be my choice.

Feeding a small amount of decent high fibre pellets (look for at least 19%, higher is better) and getting rid of those commercial treats, I imagine their tums will be healthy again in no time :)

Hey, just caught up with this thread!

I would agree with the others and suggest cutting out all the commercial treats and cut the food down and switch to a better brand :thumb: I use Science Selective and I would recommend it :thumb:

Hay is the main course for rabbits, everything else should be seen as treats. I try and feed the most natural diet I can to my bunnies, lots of wild weeds and flowers (safe ones) and hay, with a couple of pellets a day for weight maintenance.

In your opinions - do you think I should introduce a bit of carrot / apple etc? Other people have told me they think they're old enough now but I'm not sure.

Carrot and apple are really sugary treat veg/fruit. You are better with dark leafy spring greens and herbs like basil, mint, coriander, parsley :)

Thanks so much :wave: I feel lots better about it now. I need to apologise to Charlie for kicking off at him for "starving" them! I would like to swap their pellets to something a bit better for them but I'm so nervous about changing their food over, I've heard it can be catastrophic and make them ill etc. What herbs etc are good for them? I sometimes pick a handful of grass and dandelion leaves and put that in their second bowl (pellets in bowl number 1) for them to munch on through the day.

Changing pellets is only dangerous if you do it suddenly, if you do it gradually enough then you wont have problems :)

I wouldnt introduce anything new into their diet until they are doing large, crumbly poops only and no excess caceotrophs, and are otherwise perfectly healthy.

Carrot and apple are bad ones to start with anyway, as the sugar content can cause problems, so they have to be fed in moderation. When you do get to the stage of adding in fresh food I'd start gently, with forage and herbs, then greens.

Those pellets are higher in protein and lower in fibre than others, but the pellet should only be a minimal part to their diet. You could gradually change the pellets over to science selective or similar, and reduce the amount. I would just feed the pellets that you have to use them up, but mix in the one you change it to as they are running out.

As others have said, just cut out the sugary treats. Dried dandelion, plantain, apple branches etc are fab to have as treats. Even fresh Dandelions are about just now :)

Thank you so much. I bought them some dried dandelion and oat grass or something like that from Wilkos. They have a handful of that every week for a treat and they love it!!

Awww, it's all about learning. :)
I would just reduce the pellets, having too many when they're young isn't really a problem as they're growing which the extra protein is probably really good for, but they need lots of fibre in their diet. Slowly give them less and less pellets until they have about a handful a day and see if they eat more hay. The more hay they eat the better for their teeth and stomachs. If you do want to swap their food over do it over the course of a few weeks, slowly adding more of the new food and less of the old food.

But it's all about the hay. :wave:

I think I'll use up their pellets and slow them down with how many they're having then when it comes to the cross over I can mix them in with the new ones can't I. Ahhh feel much better now for everyone's advice!!

That food is 17% protein and 14% fibre. I'd reduce the amount you are feeding, although dont take it down to 1-2 tablespoons a day like the RWAF reccommend just yet, as one needs extra pellets as she is still young - maybe 1-2 handfuls between them till she's 4 months? I would definately change brand soon, Supreme's science selective or fibafirst would be my choice.

Feeding a small amount of decent high fibre pellets (look for at least 19%, higher is better) and getting rid of those commercial treats, I imagine their tums will be healthy again in no time :)

It's funny cos I nearly bought some more treats today as they've just about used the others up and I thought "no, I'll use up the dandelion and green oat grass stuff first". Glad I did now! I will try them on some herby natural treats :) thanks again!

Hey, just caught up with this thread!

I would agree with the others and suggest cutting out all the commercial treats and cut the food down and switch to a better brand :thumb: I use Science Selective and I would recommend it :thumb:

Hay is the main course for rabbits, everything else should be seen as treats. I try and feed the most natural diet I can to my bunnies, lots of wild weeds and flowers (safe ones) and hay, with a couple of pellets a day for weight maintenance.

A few people have mentioned Science Selective. Think I will switch them over to that when I've used up the majority of the Dodson & Horrell. What flowers to you give your buns? Can they have the dock leaf things that you use to calm a nettle sting?

Carrot and apple are really sugary treat veg/fruit. You are better with dark leafy spring greens and herbs like basil, mint, coriander, parsley :)

I might get some from ASDA tonight in the fresh plant pots - get them growing on the kitchen window sill :)

Carrot and apple should only be fed in tiny ammounts due to sugar content, as with all fruit. Weeds like dandilions are good for them, and grass too, you can try other weeds aswell like thistles and stickyweed (all introduced in small ammounts to begin with). Herbs are really good for them, my boys go wild for corriander. Going to try mine on fresh parsley too, as soon as I can get hold of some. Veg should only be fed in small ammounts - my boys favourite is pak choi but they also like green beans, cauliflour, curly kale, broccolli and brussells.
With regards to changing food over, don't be too worried. Look to change it over a period of a couple of weeks. You just want to gradually up the ammount of 'new' food, and reduce the ammount of 'old' food. Done like this, it is very safe, food change over is only dangerous if done suddenly with no time for their sensitive tums to adjust!

Carrot and apple should only be fed in tiny ammounts due to sugar content, as with all fruit. Weeds like dandilions are good for them, and grass too, you can try other weeds aswell like thistles and stickyweed (all introduced in small ammounts to begin with). Herbs are really good for them, my boys go wild for corriander. Going to try mine on fresh parsley too, as soon as I can get hold of some. Veg should only be fed in small ammounts - my boys favourite is pak choi but they also like green beans, cauliflour, curly kale, broccolli and brussells.
With regards to changing food over, don't be too worried. Look to change it over a period of a couple of weeks. You just want to gradually up the ammount of 'new' food, and reduce the ammount of 'old' food. Done like this, it is very safe, food change over is only dangerous if done suddenly with no time for their sensitive tums to adjust!

Thanks again, I'm going to get some fresh herbs growing for them :)

And as you reduce the pellets they will pretend to be starving and give you big, sad eyes and look ravenous when you feed them. This is normal. :lol:

And as you reduce the pellets they will pretend to be starving and give you big, sad eyes and look ravenous when you feed them. This is normal. :lol:

:lol:

I'm sorry for not replying to your questions but it seems everyone has them well covered! :thumb: I only feed carrot and apple and banana very very rarely. I tend to just use them for medication really as it makes it a lot less stressful to mash it into some banana than the try to syringe feed! One of mine, Mini, cannot tolerate fruit at all, ever sweet veg like baby corn (not big corn, that's indigestible) and mange tout can set it off in too high amounts.

Thanks again everyone :wave:

I went to Asda and got some herbs for them. I thought I might put a handful in with their hay tomorrow and mix it all up for a change for them :)

i buy hay from hay for pets and get four of the biggest bales at a time. and herbs are a great food for them aswell. :thumb:

I would try a sample pack of hay from HayforPets - they do a small variety pack so you can see what your bunnies prefer. If you go on to their website you'll see what I mean.

My two new babies had terrible sticky poops when they first came home to live with us...I dont know much about their history as they were rescues but at the rescue they were being free fed pellets (pets at home primarily but what ever they got donated...) and within 2 weeks I had switched them over to science selective junior and plenty of hay and they now have great poops! :thumb: They are fine with fresh herbs too but we get uneaten ceacs if we try and feed them veg...although they seem ok with kale :D

Good luck!

ETA We get meadow hay from our local farm for £4.50 per bale and then I order from hay for pets too :)

You've been given great advice :D Mixing the herbs in with their hay is an excellent idea! It encourages them to eat hay and gives them something fun to do; foraging for the herbs!

I get the Hay For Pets Ings hay for Buckley and he loves it :) their hay really is amazing :D

Back