• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing hay

Walli

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

We have finally found a house after 5 years of looking and are moving in the end of July. I wonder were is the best place to store the hay. Right now we have an entire room just for storage (hay and other things) but at the house I would really love not to have a room just for storage and not to have the hay in the house.

Do you think it is ok to have the hay in the garage? The garage is in good condition and it isn´t damp (that I know of anyway) but it is a coldgarage. We are not planning on having the car in the garage. How do everyone else store their hay?

I also wonder if I store the hay in the garage, I guess it would be best not to have it directly on the floor of the garage but to have somthing under so it gets circulation from beneath as well, any tips on how to do this?

My hay bale is in a duvet (less mess when transporting) and then stored in the garden in a wheelie bin as shifting a bale from the car to the back of the house is easier that way. A garage should be fine but maybe use a wheelie bin or put the hay on a pallet for storage is an idea.

Pallets are a good base for bales of hay, and fairly eay to get hold of. It keeps the hay off the floor so it avoids damp, and maintains air circulation. Also keep the hay away from the walls, for the same reasons.

Duvet covers are useful if you want to reduce the mess on the floor. I would avoid plastic bags if at all possible for other than very short-term hay storage.

Thank you so much for your advice:D
Then I will store it in the garage.
Good tip about not storing against the walls, I hadn't thought of that:wave:

We use Ikea Omar shelving because it was the biggest size I could get in the right format: it doesn't quite take a whole bale, I have to take two 'reams' off the end to fit it in. Our garage isn't totally water tight (windows/doors not fitting correctly! But the roof's fine now) but one bale will keep for about 6mths fine. Picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hiPkaA7VPHGpsmMv8

We use Ikea Omar shelving because it was the biggest size I could get in the right format: it doesn't quite take a whole bale, I have to take two 'reams' off the end to fit it in. Our garage isn't totally water tight (windows/doors not fitting correctly! But the roof's fine now) but one bale will keep for about 6mths fine. Picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hiPkaA7VPHGpsmMv8

Thank you! That looks like a good solution! I´m glad more people are storing hay in the garage and that it seems to work :) I am so tired of having an entire room just for storing!

Back