• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing hay

Alicia

Mama Doe
How's best to store hay? I order from online places and it's delivered in cardboard boxes but it's going bad before the bunnies can finish it. I've started buying smaller amounts (5kg boxes rather than 20kg) but it's still going bad before it's eaten

How's best to store hay? I order from online places and it's delivered in cardboard boxes but it's going bad before the bunnies can finish it. I've started buying smaller amounts (5kg boxes rather than 20kg) but it's still going bad before it's eaten
Where you storing it? [emoji38] We buy a few 17kg at a time and use them for next little while with no issues, when I open a new box I get that great fresh hay smell

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I keep it in its cardboard box in the shed with the bunnies on a shelf out of their reach

I keep it in its cardboard box in the shed with the bunnies on a shelf out of their reach
How you know its gone off? I used to keep mine in a garage and it was fine!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I keep bales in wheely bins outside. I pick up the bales using hay bale bags and just put the whole thig in a spare wheely bin in the shade. The hay isn't in direct contact with the plastic, so it can still breathe.

As long as it's dry and out of direct sun so it doesn't sweat, it will be OK - so off the floor in a shed or garage, etc. It really only spoils if it gets damp.

This is exactly how I store mine and I've never had a problem. Is the shed definitely dry and how long does a box last?

I feel like it goes a bit smelly and dusty but the shed is quite dry I think. It's compressed in a box

I keep mine in a cardboard box in my house and it doesn't go bad. It might be that there is moisture getting to it outside in the shed. The wheelie bin sounds like a good idea or if you can keep it indoors that might help.

Back