• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

still not happy about hay

You could offer it on your local free cycle? I've done that twice now, once someone picked it up as bedding for her chickens and the other time someone wanted to compost oh

Not from the same company, but I had a run of a few bad batches of hay a little while back. I think it was because it was last year's hay (this was in April) and it must have been musty! I just got a delivery from a friend who did hay for a bunch of farms last month and it's beautiful - definitely a better year for it with the summer we've had!

tasteofchaos -how long does it last you? does it take long to deliver?:wave:

The first time I ordered it took maybe 4-5 days to arrive but now it takes more like 3 most times as if you are a repeat customer they seem to send it quicker! :love:

Its difficult to say as 3 out of 5 bales go to the sheep and 2 go inside to the buns and guineas. Each bag maybe lasts a week? You certainly wouldn't get through more than the 5 bales in a month (probably a lot less but don't know how many buns you have and/or how hay monsterish they are!:lol:), theyre quite tightly compressed so hold deceptive amounts!

ok thanks will take a look- i have 5 buns which tend to be quite greedy lol

Probably pretty equivalent to my bunch then, 3 medium fussed hay bunnies and 3 hay obsessed (and I mean obsessed...) piggies! I would say on average I get through about a bale a week which is £4. Used to buy farm hay bales as with the sheep I get through a lot of it but found the hay so variable, sometimes I would spend £7 on a bale and it would barely get touched as it was too straw like so was a real waste of money.

they contacted me and were so lovely- they are refunding me as a replacement wouldnt get here in time for when i need it- then they are letting me know when they get to the new batch of timothy and rye :thumb:

Excellent! :thumb: Good to hear that they are going to make it right.

I wouldn't want yellow/brown hay either, as usually it's either older or has been out in the sun too long and is less nutritious. :? I usually buy a box of Oxbow but the Bun Squad and I don't like the latest one, so I've ordered a box from a family that lives in a valley a little north of here. Not sure what I'll do with the old stuff, but oh well. Spoilt bunnies. :lol:

My ings isn't as good as the last two I've had from hay4pets. This one isn't as green and I can tell a difference in the buns too as usually they go mad for it. They didn't eat much of it last night :/

i haven't bought any hay for a few weeks now (have plenty!) but i noticed the quality doesnt seem to be as good lately, probably due to the weather

Back