• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still chase after stress bonding

To be honest the male rabbit who is gorgeous doesn't come over as hormonal at all, just scared. I have found that a female who has lost her first husbun is more difficult to bond the second time, she will be fiesty and unfriendly, which is what is happening at the moment with these 2. Are you going to keep your friend's rabbit?

I will keep him for a while. Like in the pics, he is having the whole hutch and Ginger is living "outside" but they could still see and smell each other. I will try to swap the sleeping area after few days so Ginger inside the hutch but Oreo stay outside. Will try to carry this process for another 2 months till hormones wear off and try to bond again.

Ho estly from what I've seen today. Oreo doesn't look that scare to me and will come down the hutch. There are few occasions they sniff each other.

Sent from my M2 using Tapatalk

Little Oreo has been attacked by my friend's rabbit, the male one, when he was small so maybe this is one of the reason he is over reacting with ginger's approach.

I need some advice please.

I've taken the rabbits out to enjoy some sunshine in the garden whilst I can clean their hutch and greenhouse. And I've seen Ginger lying down and Oreo sat next to her. Should I try to remove the middle panel to try bonding again or I better try after 2 months when Oreo's hormones def gone?

bcad31cde0f6f12a8540da9328796b99.jpg

Ginger looks quite happy with Oreo so I wouldn't wait for 2 months I would keep putting them together and when you feel all is well (say when they have been together for a whole day without fighting) then just let them be together full-time.

Going back to your previous question re. Space, I am still not convinced the hutch area is big enough and in particular if they are ever to be confined to it - overnight for instance. Having said that, it is very difficult to tell for sure from your photo. Certainly, you can never have too much space (i would want FAR more space than the '3 hop minimum' quoted).

As far as bonding today, aside from any hormone issues, I can only reiterate what has been said before in that, have you prepared fully? And do you have the time to dedicate until the process is complete at this present moment, if you want to see thru to your singletons becoming a pair?

Others here might have a different point of view of course :)

Edit: Ha ha, just seen Tonibuns response, all good advice. I just am not convinced you are ready in your preparations.

Last edited:
OK. I've slowly removed the panel in between. The first time still chase around so I put the panel down. 5 mins later I lift the panel up slowly and see this happen. I am standing next to them as soon as Oero seems too scare I'll put the panel down again.
7561a381343d8f2e61918b8ab2cc58b2.jpg

75263e3d24c940689692779f4eb49cec.jpg

Ok, from what I've seen Oreo is the one extremely nervous. When Ginger lay down, he is OK and stay close to her but as soon as she gets up, Oreo will get very nervous and start dashing round. This really trigger Ginger to chase him. What can I do next to encourage Oreo that if he doesn't run than Ginger won't chase him?

Oreo will get more confident with Ginger but it will take some time. I personally don't like the male to be scared but it might work, you never know! Oreo will sense Ginger's mood, something we can't detect, this is making him nervous. Only in time will he come to trust her, if she is friendly towards him. How old is Oreo?

Close to 2 yrs and Ginger is 2 yrs and 1 month.

From what I see today, Ginger does go and lick himbut when Ginger lower her head ask for a lick back, Oreo never does. Then all of a sudden he will jump up and dashing round. Ginger will look at him for 2 sec and then start chasing. Maybe she thought it is a game but in fact Oreo is scared of something (her, maybe)?

At the moment, I've put the panel up again, Ginger is enjoying her sunbath but Oreo sitting aside v nervous.

cfe6d1871941079e78eaac31d99d347d.jpg

You cannot really persuade Oreo not to run - they will have to work it out themselves.

Also, I am quite sure Ginger does not think it is a game, as such - it is all part of sorting out who is the boss I am afraid. To a great degree, you will have to let them come to their own conclusion in the pecking order.

I have never bonded in this 'dating' and gradual way to be honest. Hope it works for you :)

I did, I put them out to the pen yesterday with a panel in the middle so they could have some sunshine while I could clean the hutch and whole greenhouse. But then I saw them fairly relaxing so I posted here to ask I better wait for other 2 months or try again.

Anyway, this is what I got yesterday. Ginger is happy to lick Oreo and Oreo is happy to stay close to Ginger as long as she is not getting too close to his bottom. [emoji57]

I will not rush this time and will carry on let them stay next to each other but as soon as some real chasing start, I will put the panel down. Hope they can sort their bunnies matter out soon.

702c5fe810d1234804c304689aa2ebba.jpg

Should I say this is a very positive sign?

8df353cdf37ddeb558c1a538e7653098.jpg

4976eb836a7d11340025fd7d86afade6.jpg

But the pair still has not define who is the boss yet. Every time Ginger wants to get close to his bottom Oreo will runaway. But at least Ginger doesn't chase him like mad as before and usually stop in 2 sec and then Oreo will stop. He will then check and slowly get back to Ginger and then snuggle happily with her.

My question for today is can they stay together tonight if no more serious chasing occur? Or on the safe side, still separate the sleeping area?

Aww, they do look snuggled :)

Few more hours left in the day to gauge them which will hopefully help you determine how fragile the friendship is, but always a tough call. Are they going into neutral sleeping area?

Personally, I have always monitored overnight (left one pair in the downstairs bath - litter tray, hay and and water of course), whilst I slept on the settee before I trusted them alone. And my current pair (which were horrendous to bond) we had 4 nights alongside them before I left them alone. And even then, they remain inside until this weekend.

Hopefully someone else can give you a better idea then me!

Is Ginger neutered I wonder? Not that it always makes much difference. To be fair on Oreo I would not recommend you leave them together tonight, they would need to satisfy me more that they won't fight, or rather Ginger won't attack Oreo. so one more night separate then together again tomorrow and we will have a better idea by tomorrow afternoon how this relationship is going. :thumb:

Ginger is neutered last year march when I adopted her from a local rescue home, Oreo is just done about a month ago.

I can see a big improvement today as Oreo finally willing to lay down in front of Ginger when she is standing. Also Ginger won't chase him so that cool him down. However i think they still have not work out who is the boss as little Oreo is too scare when Ginger get too close to his bum. [emoji12]

I'll still separate their sleeping area and continue to put them out in the pen tomorrow (if weather OK, no rain).

Thanks for the advice, will carry on update their bonding.

ae6c58184378a8f7c382704bc90ec030.jpg

Is Ginger neutered I wonder? Not that it always makes much difference. To be fair on Oreo I would not recommend you leave them together tonight, they would need to satisfy me more that they won't fight, or rather Ginger won't attack Oreo. so one more night separate then together again tomorrow and we will have a better idea by tomorrow afternoon how this relationship is going. :thumb:

Sounds like a very good idea :)

Not too sure because of no sun but rain today or simply the pair not in good mood, there are a lot of chasing today and Oreo's got a patch of bald now.[emoji29]

I have put them inside a pet carrier (smaller than my little wooden house but has a window in front so I can see them better) and went for shopping. Because of staying at home with them for these few days, my fridge is pretty much empty. This pair did snuggle up inside the carrier.

051a93c1186a7e1812def6b7e205e93a.jpg

I put them back to the pen and there were few licks, again only Ginger to Oreo not vice versa, but all of a sudden they start the chasing again. Ginger has stepped down and now they sit far apart at 2 corners. I guess I still have t separate their sleep area tonight.

6cd48bb077fcbba64421b3ebdfa00378.jpg

Back