• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still a bit worried about Rolo - update post 57

Sending lots of vibes for him. Would it have been tramadol he was given? I think that can cause a lot of drowsiness from what I've read on here.

Oh bless him, it's such a worry isn't it when you can't get to the bottom of what's going on? My boy has sometimes gone off his pellets, but will eat them if I hand feed them and TBH I dont know why. Is Rolo showing signs of pain by tooth grinding or sitting hunched? What about if you soften the pellets in warm water, would he eat them then? I really feel for you and hope your vet can get to the bottom of what's going on. Sending Rolo gentle nose rubs and healing vibes. Xxx

She said it wasn't metacam - it was an injection so I didn't see what it was - she said I could give him a dose of metacam as well before bed. I hope this is ok, like I said, I didn't really have a lot of faith in her.

It was probably Vetergesic, an opiate analgesic which can cause marked sedation

How is Rolo doing this morning ?

It was probably Vetergesic, an opiate analgesic which can cause marked sedation

How is Rolo doing this morning ?

Oh Jane, I'm so worried - Rolo hasn't eaten anything overnight - he did have the fibreplex before bed and he has taken some plantain from me this morning but he just doesn't seem right.

I have to go to work, there is no way I can have time off and I feel so wretched. I'm going to phone the vet when they open and get hubby to take him when he finishes work. I'm in tears here and I feel so alone - I just want my baby to be ok.

Oh Jane, I'm so worried - Rolo hasn't eaten anything overnight - he did have the fibreplex before bed and he has taken some plantain from me this morning but he just doesn't seem right.

I have to go to work, there is no way I can have time off and I feel so wretched. I'm going to phone the vet when they open and get hubby to take him when he finishes work. I'm in tears here and I feel so alone - I just want my baby to be ok.

Can you or your hubby drop him off at the Vet on your way to work so they can admit him for the day ? I do think it is very likely that the problem is Dental/tooth root related xx

Can you or your hubby drop him off at the Vet on your way to work so they can admit him for the day ? I do think it is very likely that the problem is Dental/tooth root related xx

Hubby's already gone to work and I have to be in work by 8 so I need to go very soon - I feel so bad, I feel like I'm neglecting him. He has eaten some banana and dandelion - I'm going to ask my mum to call round to check on him.

Hubby's already gone to work and I have to be in work by 8 so I need to go very soon - I feel so bad, I feel like I'm neglecting him. He has eaten some banana and dandelion - I'm going to ask my mum to call round to check on him.

No-one can do the impossible. Not going to work is not always an option, however much we may wish that it was. He has some input and some output, albeit minimal, so he should be OK for a few more hours. Sending lots more vibes for him xx

It may well be teeth as my Tinkerbell stopped eating pellets, but ate other food, when she was beginning with a tooth abscess. Only a thought as it may, of course, be none tooth related with Rolo.

Hope Rolo gets better soon xxx

Aw man, I feel your 'neglecting him' pain :( You're doing your absolute best, especially getting someone to look in on him :) The very best of wishes for a decent diagnosis and a swift and effective (and as pain- and stress-free as possible!) resolution!

If he's eaten a bit then that's a lot better than nothing, and at least he *wants* to eat, which is good (albeit only a little).

Best vibes for getting him looked after and better today. You are doing your utmost best. I have been in a position before when I had to leave my baby at the vets because I was working such long hours and I felt terrible :cry:

Ah I feel your pain too. I had to leave Doughnut to go to work when she was unwell even though I gave her all of her medicine, but I had just moved to a new department at work that week so couldn't leave it. Unfortunately I had to leave her 12 hours and when I returned home she still hadn't eaten or drunk! At least you don't have to leave Rolo for very long and he's eaten a bit.

Let's hope it's all sorted by this afternoon. Did you have any more metacam to give him?

Poor Rolo :( I can understand your worry. I hope he will be doing better soon. ((((((Huge hugs))))))
Many healing/eating/pooping vibes coming your way for Rolo. xxxxx

Thank you everyone.

Have just got back from yet another visit to the vet - saw a lovely vet but she admitted she didn't know a huge amount about rabbits!

Anyway, she took him out the back to another vet who examined him - they thought they could feel some sort of lump on his side towards the back :(

They have an exotics vet there every Wednesday so we have an appointment then.

In the meantime, he's had another injection of metacloprymide and he's due his metacam later this evening.

The good news is that he has eaten a little throughout the day albeit he's had to be hand fed but just now, I noticed him nibbling a little bit of dandelion by himself.

Thank you all for your kind words xxx

Ah bless him. Let's hope Wednesday comes quickly for you and he can remain painfree and eating well until then. At least the vet admitted her lack of experience. Have you been given metaclop and metacam to administer yourself or do you have to keep going back?

Back