• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis; update, he's eating!

I'm pleased that Sonic is doing well, your parents sound like they are doing a brilliant job! That was lovely of the vet to say that to your dad too, I bet it secretly made his day :love:

My mum was once mortified when she took my sisters little hamster to the vets. The vet came out and asked for "Mr Noel Vole" and my mum had to get up in the waiting room infront of everyone :lol: I think she wished my sister hadn't picked that name, not sure why she did even. I don't know if he looked like a vole, she just liked that it rhymed :lol:

He's still not eating much apparently, but I'm guessing this is normal for the situation?

Mr Noel Vole is quite a spectacular name!

Maybe I spoke too soon. He's not eating much still. Mum says he's just sat there looking listless. I'm really worried and upset, I don't know what's normal?

I just want to give him a cuddle, I hate how I'm not at home.

Hi, I've just read through everything. Sending vibes for Sonics recovery.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice, as I'm very inexperienced with rabbits. I hope someone will be along who can help x

Apparently he's no worse this morning, if anything he's ever so slightly brighter. I did wonder if he was going to survive the night. He's sat properly, not slumped, and he is reacting to a few noises around the garden. He's also washed this morning.

Mum and dad have mixed the nutritional powder to give him throughout the day, apparently he hates it, and fought it quite a bit. He excepted some watered down apple juice though.

He's been weeing and pooing, although they're misshapen and small, but at least there's some output.

Anyone know anything about infacol? Dad has been googling, but wanted to check here first.

I'll post in health linking to this post to hopefully get some advice :thumb:

Thank you! (Thinking about it, I should probably have put it in Health in the first place...)

I'm being sent videos, he's bobbling around the garden like nothing's wrong, but obviously bunnies are quite good at hiding their discomfort.

When I have had a rabbit with stasis, it has taken a good few days for the rabbit to get fully back to normal.

I'm not sure whether Sonic has received any gut stimulant at the vets, or was it just pain relief? And also what medication was he prescribed to be given at home?

My rabbits have received gut stimulant and pain relief at the vets, plus I have continued with this at home for a few days, certainly until after the rabbit has started to eat normally by himself. I have also syringe-fed recovery food and continually offered the rabbit's favourite food. Fluid therapy has occasionally also been given at the vets, which I think is helpful. I have never used Infacol and so have no experience of that.

I think it's good that he is pooing and weeing, even though the poos are on the small side.

When I have had a rabbit with stasis, it has taken a good few days for the rabbit to get fully back to normal.

I'm not sure whether Sonic has received any gut stimulant at the vets, or was it just pain relief? And also what medication was he prescribed to be given at home?

My rabbits have received gut stimulant and pain relief at the vets, plus I have continued with this at home for a few days, certainly until after the rabbit has started to eat normally by himself. I have also syringe-fed recovery food and continually offered the rabbit's favourite food. Fluid therapy has occasionally also been given at the vets, which I think is helpful. I have never used Infacol and so have no experience of that.

I think it's good that he is pooing and weeing, even though the poos are on the small side.

I'm not too sure! That's the worst thing about not being home, obviously my parents are telling me everything they can, but things often get lost along the way. He had 3 injections at the vet. He's been prescribed meloxidyl and an antibiotic. He's throwing a strop when they try give him the recovery food... he really hates it. Shame it's not sweet, as he's always had a sweet tooth.

Apparently he doesn't look as uncomfortable as he did yesterday, and he's lolloping around the garden like normal (turning his back when mum gets the camera out as always!). I can't help but think normal behaviour like this is a good sign.

He's booked in to the vets tomorrow morning just in case, do you think it will be worth it or do you think it could stress him out too much?

If he's running round the garden then that has to be a good sign. I think only your parents can judge whether he should go back to the vets tomorrow, based on whether he is eating and how much a vet visit is likely to stress him.

Btw I don't understand the antibiotic. I don't understand how that could help Stasis.

I think some people on here mix recovery food with Ella's baby food to make it more palatable (obviously one containing rabbit safe food items). I haven't, but it might be worth a try if he won't eat anything himself and won't tolerate the recovery food.

If he's running round the garden then that has to be a good sign. I think only your parents can judge whether he should go back to the vets tomorrow, based on whether he is eating and how much a vet visit is likely to stress him.

Btw I don't understand the antibiotic. I don't understand how that could help Stasis.

I think some people on here mix recovery food with Ella's baby food to make it more palatable (obviously one containing rabbit safe food items). I haven't, but it might be worth a try if he won't eat anything himself and won't tolerate the recovery food.

I imagine they will take him, just as a precaution because I'm not there. He's a very chilled out bun, doesn't really stress about anything and when he got back from the vet yesterday he was happy, pood and drank.

I just wish they could say that he has his spark back - that would make me feel so much better.

Sorry your bunny has been off his food. You say he is running round the garden - is he munching on grass as if he is then that's a good sign and maybe not to worry too much about getting the recovery food in if it stresses him out. Hope he is soon back to normal xx

I'm not too sure! That's the worst thing about not being home, obviously my parents are telling me everything they can, but things often get lost along the way. He had 3 injections at the vet. He's been prescribed meloxidyl and an antibiotic. He's throwing a strop when they try give him the recovery food... he really hates it. Shame it's not sweet, as he's always had a sweet tooth.

Apparently he doesn't look as uncomfortable as he did yesterday, and he's lolloping around the garden like normal (turning his back when mum gets the camera out as always!). I can't help but think normal behaviour like this is a good sign.

He's booked in to the vets tomorrow morning just in case, do you think it will be worth it or do you think it could stress him out too much?

Sorry to hear this.

Some buns like their recovery food mixed with Ella's Kitchen baby food. There's lots of varieties that have some sweetness in there .. Apple Carrot and Parsnip, bananas, apples and bananas .. Very useful to have in stock.

His behaviour sounds good to me, and if he were my bunny I would watch and wait. But I don't want to put you off a visit to the vet if that's what you want to do.

Perhaps he is waiting until you get back to get his spark again?

Sorry to hear this.

Some buns like their recovery food mixed with Ella's Kitchen baby food. There's lots of varieties that have some sweetness in there .. Apple Carrot and Parsnip, bananas, apples and bananas .. Very useful to have in stock.

His behaviour sounds good to me, and if he were my bunny I would watch and wait. But I don't want to put you off a visit to the vet if that's what you want to do.

Perhaps he is waiting until you get back to get his spark again?

I think my parents are just super concerned as it's not long till I'm back. I'm fine with them taking him to the vets, because of how chilled he usually is, and because I'm not there I trust their judgement. My dad is going away with work this week, so they're roping my grandma in to help with the medicine and vet trip tomorrow. She looks after the pets (and spoils them a lot) when we're on holiday, so she's a favourite with Sonic.

After his last dose of recovery food he had a nibble at a dandelion leaf and headbutted my dad... I think that's a bit of his sass coming back...

I think my parents are just super concerned as it's not long till I'm back. I'm fine with them taking him to the vets, because of how chilled he usually is, and because I'm not there I trust their judgement. My dad is going away with work this week, so they're roping my grandma in to help with the medicine and vet trip tomorrow. She looks after the pets (and spoils them a lot) when we're on holiday, so she's a favourite with Sonic.

After his last dose of recovery food he had a nibble at a dandelion leaf and headbutted my dad... I think that's a bit of his sass coming back...

:thumb:

Apparently there's no change... which has got to be both a little good and a little bad, right?

They've been paying lots of attention to him, and regularly been rubbing his tummy.

Back